Critique this Protein Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critique this Protein Feeder

Stand and fill 74” to top, 12 Gauge sheet all around, Lid will be one piece and will come completely off. I’m want the green screen experts to make sure I’m not overlooking something!

Nice. But, i'd build those ports so you can put CoonHoods on them.

Comment

Looks good like our old creep feeders

Comment

At 74" it's only a stand and fill for some

Looks good. It would be difficult to coon proof it with that design. I would also wonder about how sturdy it is once feed is in it. It may be great as is, but may also need cross bracing. You will only know that when you test it. Not much to critique really. How high are the protein outlets?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          At 74" it's only a stand and fill for some

Looks good. It would be difficult to coon proof it with that design. I would also wonder about how sturdy it is once feed is in it. It may be great as is, but may also need cross bracing. You will only know that when you test it. Not much to critique really. How high are the protein outlets?
          I'm not worried about the sturdiness, it will be more than fine there. I went with minimal crossmembers and kept them low so coons can't stand on them to get closer to the spout. It's 40" to the bottom of the spouts, so about 37" or so if one were to stand on the crossmember to reach up there. Then, the legs are 18" from the side of the spouts. I'm just wondering if yall think they will be able to get to the spout from the ground. If they get there from the legs I have something in my head for the next ones that will erase that option

Comment

That's one heck of a protein feeder. I like it but the coons could cause a problem.

Comment

Need flow control from the inside so feed doesn't bunch up. Basically a way to set it like a vertical slide gate. Also spout is to close to body wall of feeder. Deer must be straight on or head tilted to get to feed. I could see them being spooky having a shear wall in front blocking half their sight field.

Comment

I think most of your feed is just gonna spill out. Needs a few inches of horizontal length on the spouts

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
                  I think most of your feed is just gonna spill out. Needs a few inches of horizontal length on the spouts

It does look like it will run out when you fill it. Have you tried feed in it yet?

Comment

Looks good! If I make skids out of angle I box the ends. Then again, I have been known to fill them in flip flops when it is 105 degrees. :-) I looked at one of your corn feeders the other day and it was, bar none, the best feeder I have seen!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
                      I'm not worried about the sturdiness, it will be more than fine there. I went with minimal crossmembers and kept them low so coons can't stand on them to get closer to the spout. It's 40" to the bottom of the spouts, so about 37" or so if one were to stand on the crossmember to reach up there. Then, the legs are 18" from the side of the spouts. I'm just wondering if yall think they will be able to get to the spout from the ground. If they get there from the legs I have something in my head for the next ones that will erase that option
                      Those savages will use one another as a ladder, hang from one arm and rake feed out like a water fall. The bastages are evil geniuses. Install a crossfire type port and CoonHoods and be done with it.

Comment

The more I look at it, the more I want one

Comment

I don't think a coon could actually reach it. But I would worry about spillage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Spillage pics:

It didn’t spill any more than the first bag on every other protein feeder I’ve filled. I do think that a central “stem” instead of legs would eliminate most of the coon issues.

Comment

Im no expert, but the only issue I see is building it looks like too much work! ( if i wasnt such a poor fabricator it may not be so bad haha )

Very nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X