Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which shingles brand should I choose for new roof

Greetings,

Not sure if we have any roofing contractors on here but we got hit by a Tornado in Harvey and I need to replace my roof. It is covered by insurance to some degree but I want to go back with good shingles when I get a quote from the roofer guys. I at least want to know what to stay away from or what is the cheapest junk someone is trying to throw in my quote. I have the option of paying more for something good. Also any tips or tricks by roofers to watch out for I appreciate the advice.

From what I understand, I have Timberline 30 year shingles now which from what I understand are one of the best (but I just heard that) I bought the home 5 years ago with the existing roof.

Thanks for any feedback Guys,

Ranchdog

I've always heard not to waste your money on 30yr shingles in Texas because they're gonna get knocked off within 10 anyway.

Comment

Gaf...

Comment

I lost shingles for the first time since I built the house (harvey did it) roof is 23 yrs old. I went with owens corning 10 yr. when i built. And will go back with the same probably.

Comment

Droptine8850 is who you need

Comment

Originally posted by ranchdog View Post
            Greetings,

Not sure if we have any roofing contractors on here but we got hit by a Tornado in Harvey and I need to replace my roof. It is covered by insurance to some degree but I want to go back with good shingles when I get a quote from the roofer guys. I at least want to know what to stay away from or what is the cheapest junk someone is trying to throw in my quote. I have the option of paying more for something good. Also any tips or tricks by roofers to watch out for I appreciate the advice.

From what I understand, I have Timberline 30 year shingles now which from what I understand are one of the best (but I just heard that) I bought the home 5 years ago with the existing roof.

Thanks for any feedback Guys,

Ranchdog
            In my mind, it is the underlayment and the installation that is probably the most important. But I know nothing about roofs beyond that

Also, stick with a local person. I went with Remedy Roofing out of Katy. I started with a really bad sales rep, but their ratings were really good, so I gave em another chance and ended up with a better rep and an overall good experience. I spot checked their work (nails per shingle, etc.) and so far so good... less than a year into my roof (but hey, it didn't leak during Harvey!)

If you do go with Remedy... PM me and maybe I can get $200 for referring you

Comment

Our insurance company chose reroof America, to repair tornado damage, I hope that the shingles are way better then the installation, as they removed our furnace vent and the whole family got sick from carbon monoxide, and it had small leaks it took time to track down, good advice on using local guy ! REROOF can't seem to retain reliable employees
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-18-2017, 07:47 AM.

Comment

GAF Timberline High Definition
                Also make sure you have adequate ventilation and insulation.
                Turbines or ridgevent along with soffit vents.

Comment

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
                  GAF Timberline High Definition
                  Also make sure you have adequate ventilation and insulation.
                  Turbines or ridgevent along with soffit vents.
                  I have heard good things about these shingles.

Ranchdog

Comment

I've been told Timberline.

Comment

Originally posted by ranchdog View Post
                      I have heard good things about these shingles.

Ranchdog
                      Same.

Comment

Certainteed hands down. They are all we use. GAF used to be the leader in quality but not anymore. They try and copy Certainteed now.

Comment

I bought some Elk brand 30 year shingles a little over 10 years ago. They still look good from the ground anyway... as far as I can tell they're in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by KevBow View Post
                            Certainteed hands down. They are all we use. GAF used to be the leader in quality but not anymore. They try and copy Certainteed now.
                            Thanks, that's good to know bc I had a roofer yesterday bid my roof with CertainTeed.

RD

Comment

I used GAF Timberline and have no complaints.

Comment

Working...
                              X