No announcement yet.

Grizzly Stix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only reason i could afford them was i forced my self to eat at the chow hall for a month on Camp Pendleton. No way in hell could i afford them anymore. Did the math once with their head and shaft i was shooting almost $50 an arrow. That hurts if it breaks

Comment

Grizzlystiks justify the cost if you need them for the result they are intended for... Maximizing penetration...

I had a set of Grizzlystiks made for my recent African hunt specifically for a Cape buffalo. The total arrow weight was 975 grains using a 315 grain broadhead. The FOC on my particular set up was 28%. The Grizzlystik shaft held up impressively with solid bone impact. I got penetration to the fletches with that arrow from a 70lb bow @29" of draw. My wife also used my bow and arrow set up to kill a giraffe with a frontal shot.... Also buried to the fletches.

For her with African plainsgame, I had an additional set of 650 grain Grizzlystiks with 26% FOC built for her bow at 52lbs, @28" of draw. On previous hunts she was shooting a 400 grain arrow from that same set up with mixed results, and infrequent pass-thrus. With the Grizzlystik at 650 grains, she got pass-thrus on all 6 of the animals she shot this last trip. The penetration was dramatically increased by this set-up with marginal loss in arrow speed.

So, if you are shooting a lower poundage bow looking to maximizing penetration, I believe these heavy, FOC arrows will make a dramatic difference for you. Likewise, if you need a heavy arrow build for dangerous game, the Grizzlystik is definitely a very good option to consider. The only other solid option for building a heavy arrow is the Easton FMJ DG. I have also seen these perform very well on dangerous game in Africa. I would also add that the guys in the Grizzlystik shop are very knowledgeable techs. Their customer service is excellent, and they will spend the time necessary to work with you to find the right spine and FOC for your set up and get those arrows flying like darts.

For the majority of bowhunters going to hunt plainsgame in Africa with bows 65lbs and up, arrows at least 450 grains, and a strong fixed blade broadhead, you can expect very good results with set ups in that range. The momentum generated will be plenty for most plainsgame animals with the exception of a couple of the really big ones like giraffe and eland. Hope this helps...
      Attached Files

Comment

Impressive Firehuntfish, but maybe overkill on my part to think of using them. There is some serious size to that Buffalo! My whitetails around here are puny compared to Africa game.

I would like to find something stout enough to take a hit on a mesquite tree, though. I am starting to think that my carbons footed with aluminum are about the most economical way to get that done.

Comment

I've had no issues with my Grizzly's. I used them for everything in North American to Plains game. I also borrowed a friends Cape Buffalo arrow that has been proven on two buffalo. I was unable to get a buffalo but will be headed back and you can garuntee I will have that Grizzly Stik.

I also used their single bevel maasai broadhead and love that thing.

Comment

If you want a heavy arrow.... Just add weight tubes. I've added about 150 gr to my arrows. 3 rivers offers 3 different weights. Easy to install and they won't affect your spine or flight. I've used them for years.

Comment

Originally posted by muddydog View Post
              If you want a heavy arrow.... Just add weight tubes. I've added about 150 gr to my arrows. 3 rivers offers 3 different weights. Easy to install and they won't affect your spine or flight. I've used them for years.
              I have a pile of poly tubing laid out for weighing and checking for fit. I meant to do that yesterday but had a three hour waste of time working on the malfunctioning internet connection. I have been bareshafting various shafts that I have on hand. Very surprising results thus far but I am getting closer to having a decision on what to build my arrow with.

Comment

I can't remember at the moment, but the Gold Tipp Nugent Shafts are a little heavier I believe. I shoot the 500 spine arrow with 100 grain brass insert and 145 grain head. I do know that I am over 500 grains doing this.
                -Question about the foam filled shaft. I would think it would stiffen the spine as the foam cured and hardened? I tried really larger diameter weed eater line in some shafts for a while, but finally just took it out. Not near enough consistency to the weight per measured length.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                  I can't remember at the moment, but the Gold Tipp Nugent Shafts are a little heavier I believe. I shoot the 500 spine arrow with 100 grain brass insert and 145 grain head. I do know that I am over 500 grains doing this.
                  -Question about the foam filled shaft. I would think it would stiffen the spine as the foam cured and hardened? I tried really larger diameter weed eater line in some shafts for a while, but finally just took it out. Not near enough consistency to the weight per measured length.
                  I will have to shoot the foam filled again to see if it still groups with the hollow arrows.

I never liked the thought of weedeater line rattling around in the arrow. The foam filled is too light to get where I want to go. Now I am probably going with weight tubes, either from 3 Rivers or from my supply on hand.

The bow shoots 500 spine cut at 29" up to 29 1/2" with about 185 grains up front really well. That has been my practice set up since I bought the bow. I experimented with some 400 spine Gold Tip bare shafts with 125 through 225 grains tips and everything showed extremely weak to weak all the way down to a 30 1/2" shaft with 125 grain tip where it was perfect. I started with 32' long shafts. The 30 1/2" is about as short as I want to go with a broad head on. Problem is, I won't have near the arrow weight needed or desired for this situation. So I sort of punted and grabbed some 340 spine fletched arrows and found that they fly great with 235 grains up front. I haven't run them through the spine calculator yet and really don't see a reason to at this point. They are a little light so I will play with weight tubes in them and see if they fly right. Bare shafting can drive a guy nuts in short order when the arrows don't behave according to theory. I found that out years ago trying to get bare shaft field points and broad heads to group together out of a compound bow. After a couple of hours of messing around I almost always would end up tuning for the broad head for the duration of the hunting season.

Comment

Not to de-rail the thread or anything but have you considered Carbon Express Heritage shafts? The 250's weigh in at 10.2gpi so you'll get some added weight there. I shoot them at 31.5" with 100g insert and 150g tip/broadhead with a 2" piece of 2016 aluminum arrow as a footing. They are pretty heavy (calculator says 638g, I've not weighed one myself) and out past 20 yards it's like lobbing a brick at the target but they hit very hard.

Richard.

Comment

If your just worried about impact with mesguite trees, i have been shooting standered gold tip hunters for years with no problems. Trees or rocks. If you want "more" just foot them with 4-6 inches of aluminum shafts. And they are about as industrable as an arrow can get. Footed i have shot them into concreat and only had the nock pop out.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        If your just worried about impact with mesguite trees, i have been shooting standered gold tip hunters for years with no problems. Trees or rocks. If you want "more" just foot them with 4-6 inches of aluminum shafts. And they are about as industrable as an arrow can get. Footed i have shot them into concreat and only had the nock pop out.
                        I footed a half dozen arrows about a month ago. I intend to use them for bunny busting. There is a lot of rock on this place and I get tired of exploding carbon shafts on hard hits. I have considered footing to add weight but would rather not. The arrows don't seem to fly quite as well once they have an aluminum sleeve on them. It could just be in my head, too.

Comment

Working...
                        X