Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum Wage Increase Proposal

Are Legislators really that stupid?

A state representative has filed legislation that would raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour in the state of Texas.

State Rep. Ron Reynolds introduced House Bill 194 back in November. It would more than double the current minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15.

$7.25 is also the federal minimum wage set by the Fair Labor Standards Act in 2009.

“Raising the minimum wage in Texas to $15 an hour will put more money into the pockets of hard-working Texans and it is a critical step in creating an economy that works for everyone, not just the wealthy few," Reynolds said in a press release." We need to close the economic gap here in Texas, working work-full time and trying to support a family on less than $15,000 a year is impossible.”

The minimum wage act was never meant to be a place to raise a family. if you are working at a minimum wage job AND raising a family...get better. Be the best you can at what you are doing. The $$ will follow.

If the minimum wage is increased to $15/hour, then the cost of business will double and you still wont be able to raise a family on whatever that dollar amount will be.

They will drive some small businesses out of business by doing that. Good points OP.

Comment

Just like a liberal, just throw other people’s money at the problem as a solution.

Exactly right on point, if you are working for minimum wage then you shouldn’t have a family to begin with and that would also require personal responsibility which is lacking amongst the liberals (always someone else’s fault)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If this happens, business' will will increase prices to cover the expenses.

Comment

Gonna hurt more business owners than anything.

People need to let the legislators know they will be voted out if they pass this.

Comment

Yep and where will the increased cost for business get passed off to? Sounds counterintuitive with Trumps trade efforts with China to encourage US manufactured goods. How so by increasing the labor rate? Is this for federal min wage increase?

Comment

Liberal Logic is based on emotion not fact!

Comment

Unemployment will be back up which Dems will love.

Comment

I don’t think raising the wage like that would solve as much as the supporters believe it would, but it is a shame that you can work full time in this great country and be in poverty.

Wages have been stagnant for a long time in most places, and the rich continue to get richer. Middle class being squeezed out is/will be horrible for our country in the long run. Greed may well be what does the most damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Unemployment will be back up which Dems will love.
                    Exactly, they aren't just going to keep the $7/hr workers around and pay them $15/hr, they are going to gain access to a much better labor pool and the $7/hr folks will be SOL.

Comment

More automation will offset the issue. Companies like McDonalds are already doing it.
                      I am all for an increase. But, double or more does seem extreme.

If you think companies will sink by raising the wages. Just look at Bucees. Their wages and benefits are good. It has only helped them.

Comment

First google hit on the guy when I searched to see what district he was from.
                        The Missouri City Democrat was convicted of multiple misdemeanors for illegally soliciting clients for his personal injury law practice.

Then won re-election while in jail. On of our TBH members from house district 27 needs to run against this loser.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                          Yep and where will the increased cost for business get passed off to? Sounds counterintuitive with Trumps trade efforts with China to encourage US manufactured goods. How so by increasing the labor rate? Is this for federal min wage increase?
                          The article stated a State Minimum Wage increase. I don't think the Feds could get that one to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                            First google hit on the guy when I searched to see what district he was from.
                            The Missouri City Democrat was convicted of multiple misdemeanors for illegally soliciting clients for his personal injury law practice.

Then won re-election while in jail. On of our TBH members from house district 27 needs to run against this loser.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...y-13508164.php
                            Yep! Beat me to it.

Comment

I think it's just like the proposed bill to give teachers a 5K pay raise yearly.

It's all done to make the author feel good about themselves and point fingers at the opposite party when it ultimately fails.

"I tried to get y'all more money but X group blocked it!"

These aren't being written with the intention they actually pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X