Trophy Hunting MLD III season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trophy Hunting MLD III season

Anyone know why some landowners on MLD III lands restrict trophy hunting to the end of normal deer season? Perhaps they are concerned hunters could mistake a broken off deer for a cull/management buck, but any other reasons? A landowner's rules are the rules, so it's one thing if it's written in the lease agreement. But if it's not written in the lease, then as a hunter aren't I paying for the rights to hunt deer according to the available season, which would be through the end of February on MLD III lands?

Maybe they dont want the trophy deer shot before the end of breeding season. Gives them a chance to pass their genetics on before they get whacked.

Comment

We quit hunting the first of February.
      The Does are pregnant enough that killing them seems creepy and most of the bucks are dropping their horns and could be mistaken for does and killed.

Comment

Our older bucks become more predictable in late season . Maybe they don’t want you killing the bigger deer. Who knows.

Comment

We normally target them first before they break anything off - or worse - die during the rut.
          Some years we wait until middle or late season to start shooting mangement deer but that's so we can target our trophy bucks and does.

Comment

I'm sure some want the season to end so the hunters will not be on the property as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
              We quit hunting the first of February.
              The Does are pregnant enough that killing them seems creepy and most of the bucks are dropping their horns and could be mistaken for does and killed.
              The part about dropping antlers makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                I'm sure some want the season to end so the hunters will not be on the property as much.
                Yep most landowners dont want folks out there months on end.

Comment

We get cut off end of reg season and are MLD 3 permit. Landowners rules. I have brought up no does or missing horn bucks only trophys with 2 horns but as before think they just want us done and gone. Still a great place.

Comment

Do they still have MLD III? I thought it switched to either conservation or harvest option now. Our buck tags just state any buck, so appears to be shooters choice even in AR county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                      Do they still have MLD III? I thought it switched to either conservation or harvest option now. Our buck tags just state any buck, so appears to be shooters choice even in AR county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I don't think they do have MLD level 3 anymore, the whole MLD program across the board was simplified a few years ago.

Comment

Looking at tag it is offically called Conservation Option - Managed Lands Deer Program, and yes we can kill any buck we want even in an AR county.

Comment

Relieving the deer of hunting pressure and related stress could be another factor

Comment

Rules are whatever they are reguardless of state law. We end our season at the end of muzzleloader some people want it to stay open but by closing it it gives our members who squirrel hunt time in the woods to not have to worry about accidently walking up on a deer hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                              Relieving the deer of hunting pressure and related stress could be another factor
                              Not much pressure on our place 5000 acres 8 guys only six bucks this year, as with most MLDs we don't shoot enough per the biologist. We watch alot and always say next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X