Spring Turkey With A Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Turkey With A Bow

This season I am going to try and tag a turkey with a bow. I would like recommendations on broad heads as well as advice since I will most likely not have a ground blind, so I would like to know the best approach with out a blind with a bow. Thank You

Not saying it can't be done but.......
    Turkey without a blind is about a tough a hunt as I have every tried. Everything eats them so any movement sends them running.
    With a blind it is plumb easy.

Most any broadhead will work.
    Shoot them right above the drum sticks .

Comment

I have been lucky enough to get one with my bow. Was from a popup blind and I was actually deer hunting so the only broadhead I had was a slicktrick magnum. Shot the turkey in the breast and the arrow did not pass all the way through. Made a turkey kabob, the broadhead and about 6 inches of arrow came out it's backside.

Comment

Bullhead broadhead, aim for the neck / head.

Comment

Buff pretty much nailed it.

Comment

Decoys will help you out, especially if you don't have a blind.

Comment

Bullhead if you wanna chop their head off. Any broadhead your comfortable with will work, I will be using a rage extreme if I get a chance to shoot one

Shoot for the drumsticks. Follow the legs up and from where the beard comes out of the body, follow that to where it meets the legs and then shoot

Comment

Yeah, what Buff said.

I have shot them with and without a decoy. Do not over call and remember woods,shadows and a mouth call are your friend. Get off the beaten path when you need to set up. Any broad head you use for deer will work fine, and I personally wouldn't use a head loppers head if your running and gunning for them

Good luck and get ready to chase them all over the place, which is actually most of the fun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Tough to do but it can be done. Pretty much have to be at full draw when they show within range. Best way is to hunt in pairs and have a caller and a shooter, kinda like elk hunting. Try to call the birds past the shooter. We have enjoyed success doing this.

Comment

Have shot and harvested 3 from a blind. I have not harvested one outside of the blind yet. Did get drawn and got a shot off but got gobbler fever and missed. After 20 years who would of thought!! LOL

Comment

I bow hunted them 3 out of the 4 weeks of season last year and I Was hunting without a blind and using a slate call and a decoy. I got extremely close to making it happen but I clipped a limb with my arrow on a 15 yard shot. Probably took 40 different sets before I finally got a shot. The last weekend I brought my shotgun and got it done but I’ll be back with the bow this year

Comment

Spring Turkey with bow and no blind is one of my favorite forms of hunting, and I have killed many this way. Native cover is the way to go, and always set up in the shadows. Very difficult, but also very rewarding when it all comes together. sure pop ups help with covering movement, but that takes some of the fun out of it for me. learning when to move/draw just takes time. Set your deeks close <15yrds and wait until the bird is in tight and completely focused on the decoys. do not try to draw while the bird is still coming into your set. you'll learn that a turkeys field of view is crazy wide with only about 30 degrees directly behind them that they cant see. A full strut fan always helps you draw when they turn away from you. Be patient and don't over call. Have fun with it. Good luck. It will be worth it when you get your first the hard way.

Comment

Tuck in brush 3-5 yards. Put decoys out in opening in front of you. Draw early and hold for shot. If you lower your poundage this will help you hold for shot a little longer. I've killed a pile of them with my bow this way.

Comment

If you can practice shooting from a seated position on the ground. I have shot a few from blinds, but only 1 outside of a blind. The one I shot outside of a blind I was sitting "Indian" style up next to some brush and was able to draw while the bird was behind a mott. It definitely helped having someone doing the calling for me.

Comment

I have taken several turkey from a blind and one (my first) without a blind. I set my decoy about 20 yards to my right side (I'm left handed) and used a big tree as cover and "hid" behind it as best as I could. I then called and when the turkey was advancing towards the decoy and behind the tree, I drew back and shot him when he passed the tree.

Comment

Working...
                              X