No announcement yet.

Turkeys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ has a larger population of birds as those are Rio Grande turkey out there. There are fewer Eastern turkey in the state than Rios, but there is still a decent population of birds in the Caddo area. There is also a good number of birds down south on the SNF. Going out this Sunday afternoon to work on getting another eastern. I plan to be there the majority of the week, but hoping I can seal the deal early so I can get some fishing done the remainder of my time there.

Originally posted by Kdurham View Post
    How about LBJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Would like to take my son with bow (first time for both). Do we have to get a permit to camp or just find a spot and then hunt.

Comment

If you're hunting Caddo and have the $48 Annual Public Hunting Permit you have all you need to hunt and camp on the WMA.

I think most forest and grasslands have designated hunting camp sites during deer season, but I believe during turkey season I believe you can camp on most areas on the forest and grasslands.

Originally posted by Kdurham View Post
        Would like to take my son with bow (first time for both). Do we have to get a permit to camp or just find a spot and then hunt.

Comment

The GW told us we had to use the designated sites this weekend. We thought the same thing about being able to camp out in he hunting areas.

Comment

Must only be on that particular WMA. On Forest Service lands that's only a requirement during rifle service. I also hunt with a recently retired warden and have spoke with working wardens at our camp sites and we've not had any issues with that...

Originally posted by BPurvisJr View Post
            The GW told us we had to use the designated sites this weekend. We thought the same thing about being able to camp out in he hunting areas.

Comment

Heading to Lake Meredith for turkeys this weekend.

Comment

Good luck to ya!

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                  Heading to Lake Meredith for turkeys this weekend.
                  I didn't know you could hunt Lake Meredith..I can't seem to find any hunting maps/dates on the TPWD website. Is it draw only or do you just need the APH? Know where I can find a pdf map of the hunting compartments? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRangerFan7 View Post
                    I didn't know you could hunt Lake Meredith..I can't seem to find any hunting maps/dates on the TPWD website. Is it draw only or do you just need the APH? Know where I can find a pdf map of the hunting compartments? Thanks.
                    It's federal so nothing about it on TPWD. No need for APH, just go hunt. You can find maps and regs on the Lake Meredith website.

Comment

Anyone do any good at the Caddo National Grasslands?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Comment

We heard some, but couldn't call em in. Ran into a guy that was in the same area and he got one after about an hour of hunting.

Comment

That happens, I'll hit the southern end of Bois d'Arc Creek this week

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck to ya! I'll be back out there next Saturday.

Comment

Burned some boot leather hunting our Texas public lands this morning and stumbled upon a Rio Grande hen on this nest. Snapped a quick photo and skedaddled in hopes she'll find her way back and raise us some more turkeys!

According to this TAMU article, this hen is only 5 days into laying her clutch, and may have another 5 or 6 days to go

"Females lay one egg per day, producing an average total of 10-11 eggs. The eggs are cream or tan in color and may have brown speckles. Incubation lasts around 28 days after the last egg is laid."

Attached Files

Comment

Great pic

Comment

Working...
                                X