Carbon Express splitting at the insert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Express splitting at the insert

Two of the arrows I'm using on the bigger bow have split right behind the insert. Carbon Express Heritage 250s, cut to 31.5. They only weigh 529 which puts me at 8.2 GPP. No concerns there as I'll build a heavier set later. My target is essentially a cardboard box with phone books in it. Can't see where the shafts would split just from that.

I've looked at the Carbon Collars on 3rivers site and am considering ordering some to protect the rest of my arrows but haven't ever used them. Any of you have any experience with strengthening the leading end of a carbon arrow?

Richard.

There was some discussion on using 2 inch pieces of an appropriately sized aluminum shaft glued on the outside as footing a while back.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet! I didn't consider that. Now all I need is an aluminum arrow with an ID of. .305, closest I can get is an Eaton 2117 that comes out to .311. Time to start looking.

Thanks.

Richard.
      Last edited by Junkers88; 04-26-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

What do 2213s measure?

Comment

Or was it 2315? I used to shoot those as well.

Comment

Footings and collars are great and all... but why the hell are you splitting your shafts is the bigger question? That shouldn't be happening if you are shooting it into a regular soft target. The only time I split a shaft at the insert is if I hit head on into rock or metal.

My initial guess are that you are cutting the shafts incorrectly; either not squaring them off or are using a cutting method that is damaging the fibers of the shaft. You really should be using an high rpm cutting wheel or similar.

Comment

A phone book is harder to shoot through than a board.
              You cant shoot through a thick one with a deer rifle.

Find some old carpet or some rags to stuff in your bag

Comment

That is a great point. I guess I just assumed you had the phone books stacked so it would be like shooting into those layered foam/carpet/cardboard targets (edge facing you, not the cover facing you.) If you have the cover facing you, then that would definitely do it!

Comment

Poop. Ok so it's time to rearrange the phone books in the box. Yes I had them sitting in there with the covers facing me.

Richard.

Comment

I would not be shooting into phone books or the cheap arsed bag targets. Save up and get a good block target or something equivalent. I hate those bag targets, I would rather shoot into the ground.

Comment

Poor cut on the carbon leading to shredding was my first thought.

Are your field points smaller than the diameter of your insert and shaft. Smaller inserts focus more energy on the point but is unevenly displaced across the shaft cut...? Ive seen my carbon arrow shafts shred and peel when the point was smaller than the shaft.

I cracked several shaft ends at the insert when I shot at some rats and hit soil or rock.

Comment

Here's a chart that you can use to match up the shafts your shooting to the size of aluminum you'd need for the footing.

As others mentioned though, I'd look at swapping targets. Can't beat a couple square bales of hay with a ratchet strap around them to keep them tight after you shoot them a few times! I also keep a rubber trailer mat behind them to keep the arrows from passing thru or borrowing up past the fletching. Pretty cheap and will last several years as long as ya keep them tight with the ratchet strap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

My initial guess are that you are cutting the shafts incorrectly; either not squaring them off or are using a cutting method that is damaging the fibers of the shaft. You really should be using an high rpm cutting wheel or similar.
                          You hit that one on the head. I had to go back and look but all the ones that are splitting are ones that I used, on the advice from my neighbor to save some money, a tubing cutter with a new cutting wheel in it. Dang it but that was an expensive mistake. Every shaft that I cut like that is splitting. All of them essentially. I've got a few uncut CE shafts that I'll build once I buy a shaft cutter. Heck even the GT's that I have that I did that on are splitting so I've got to purchase new shafts, fletching, etc for them. At least I can salvage the nocks and inserts. I could just kick myself for cutting corners like that.

Time to budget for the correct equipment.

Richard.

Comment

Unfortunately cutting corners often costs us in the long run. I got a high speed saw off of Amazon that has worked well so far.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Richard, PM address and I'll send you some 2216's.

Comment

Working...
                              X