Gus Enlging WMA Draw Archery Hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gus Enlging WMA Draw Archery Hunt!

Finally drew Gus Engling WMA Archery either sex. Any tips on where to start scouting that area? Going to try and scout the weekend before my hunt 10/30

Very hard hunting. All together, I've hunted it 10 days over 2 hunts and have only seen a handful of deer. From others I've talked to, the front of the area seems better than the back. Corn will do you no good. Plenty of sign, just don't see much deer movement.

Comment

I've hunted it for years. It is very hard hunting but.......with scouting and the 'luck of the draw' for your assigned hunting area, it can be very productive. Lots of big deer, lots of does, lots of hogs.
      It's not hunting over food sources that matter but the travel areas between bedding and food.
      Both the south and north side are equally as good for deer but bottom line is still scouting and getting assigned to the areas you wish to hunt. It's not a choice but luck of the draw and the biologists there assign the hunting areas according to how many people are in your hunting party, how big an area you've applied for, and what kind of vehicle you have (2wd vs. 4wd) as some are accessible ONLY by 4 wd.

Comment

i drew a tag for the same hunt, I'm ready to get in there and see what its all about

Comment

Its a tough hunt, been there 3 times and hunted it hard and thank my lucky stars I got a doe and a hog on one of the hunts (gun deer management), the other 2 zero'd.

Comment

Its a good hunt but tough. I have hunted twice for archery either sex. Saw a few real good deer but only killed one unbranched antler buck. I hunted compartment 12 each time, its a little over 700 acres.

Comment

You hunt by assigned compartment

Wouldn't lock into any one area when scouting

Unfortunately have not been on it hunting in a couple of years

The staff that is assigned to take you out and show you where to hunt will usually give you some clues

Comment

Originally posted by AgBow25 View Post
                Going to try and scout the weekend before my hunt 10/30
                That would be a waste of time. That place is like over 10,000 acres. You won't even find out which compartment you will be in till the day of the hunt. Best thing you can do, once you know the compartment you will be in, do a speed scout and find at least 3 to 4 stand locations. I have always taken at least 2 stands, spend the first day locating and setting stands up. Also, pick the brains of the folks running the hunt. They know that place and they can tell you where you need to look at.
                I've seen some good deer out there.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  That would be a waste of time. That place is like over 10,000 acres. You won't even find out which compartment you will be in till the day of the hunt. Best thing you can do, once you know the compartment you will be in, do a speed scout and find at least 3 to 4 stand locations. I have always taken at least 2 stands, spend the first day locating and setting stands up. Also, pick the brains of the folks running the hunt. They know that place and they can tell you where you need to look at.
                  I've seen some good deer out there.
                  Listen to this man, good advice!

Comment

My buddy said he hunted this place b4 a few times and saw only 1 deer. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
                      My son shot his first 2 deer there, about 20 min apart. It was a doe/spike only hunt and on the first evening hunt, had a nice 8pt come within 35yds and a little later, a massive 10pt. All we could do was watch!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
                        Not a place where you go and hang a stand in just any tree and expect to see a deer, let alone get a shot

You have to be able to HUNT and figure things out quick

Hang a stand in a good looking spot and be prepared to move it

If most people had to hunt like you do on these hunts you would see a major decline in deer hunting and upswings in golf, fishing, etc

Comment

Working...
                        X