No announcement yet.

Rice bran in Houston or SE Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked up two of these bags that attach to a tree and hold 100lbs of rice bran. Walmart has these for $20 each. I haven't used them yet, but will be setting them up over Labor Day weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No way that rice bran would work with in any feeder in the woods of SE Texas without clogging up. Just too humid here.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        The deer have emptied that drum 3 times now without any issue of clogging. I have a feeder cone turned upside down in the bottom of it with the hole covered in duct tape. This helps keep the feed going out towards the cuts I made
        Can you get me a pic of that ???

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post

I don't have any design pics handy, and won't be going to my lease until Labor Day. I know RascalArms and Bowsticker have made them like mine. They may have pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            No way that rice bran would work with in any feeder in the woods of SE Texas without clogging up. Just too humid here.
            I assure you that it works....I have them in Louisiana and they don’t clog

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
              I assure you that it works....I have them in Louisiana and they don’t clog
              I have issues with corn swelling and clogging in feeders.

Comment

This is what we do with the feeders. Holes do need to be this big so that they don’t clog. It will hold 300# with this design.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  I have issues with corn swelling and clogging in feeders.
                  If that’s the case your holes are too small maybe? Not sure....I’d have to see your setup

Comment

You can see in my post above that the barrels work. 300# gone in 2 weeks

Comment

The deer have emptied that drum 3 times now without any issue of clogging. I have a feeder cone turned upside down in the bottom of it with the hole covered in duct tape. This helps keep the feed going out towards the cuts I made

Originally posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                      I saw these at the Crosby wally world today-
                      The label said “ rice bran” but I didn’t check the poundage per bag.
                      Yes they are 40lb bags

I don't have any design pics handy, and won't be going to my lease until Labor Day. I know RascalArms and Bowsticker have made them like mine. They may have pics.
                      Like AC and bowsticker said it’s just a 55gal plastic barrel with an inverted plastic funnel inside and holes cut with a grinder wheel. I think we’ve narrowed down the best size for the holes is roughly 5” x 5” square. I left the top portion uncut and used a heat gun to melt the plastic, making it pliable enough to bend up for a “drip edge” of sorts. I also added some RV vinyl tape over the top of the edge.
                      Oh make sure you secure the inverted funnel to the barrel with screws and also silicone the inside seem.
                      Last edited by RascalArms; 08-18-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Do squirrels eat rice bran / attack the plastic rice bran barrels like they would a corn feeder?

Comment

Do squirrels eat rice bran / attack the plastic rice bran barrels like they would a corn feeder?
                          We don’t have that many squirrels so I can’t answer that one

Comment

I have not found anything that wont eat Rice Bran.

If only there was a timed Rice Bran Feeder available.

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                              I have not found anything that wont eat Rice Bran.

If only there was a timed Rice Bran Feeder available.
                              I see what you did there

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                                Yes they are 40lb bags

Like AC and bowsticker said it’s just a 55gal plastic barrel with an inverted plastic funnel inside and holes cut with a grinder wheel. I think we’ve narrowed down the best size for the holes is roughly 5” x 5” square. I left the top portion uncut and used a heat gun to melt the plastic, making it pliable enough to bend up for a “drip edge” of sorts. I also added some RV vinyl tape over the top of the edge.
                                Oh make sure you secure the inverted funnel to the barrel with screws and also silicone the inside seem.
                                What did yall use for the funnel that is large enough for a drum that size???

Comment

Working...
                                X