Jacket/Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacket/Coat

Since I have lost weight and gotten my blood sugar under control I am not able to tolerate the cold weather like I used to. In years past i could sit in 40* temps wearing just a LS shirt. Now, I just about freeze with a fleece an LS shirts together in the same temp.

With that said:

I am looking at a Sitka Fanatic or maybe one of the KUIU jackets. What's y'alls take on these coats? I really like the look and feel of the Sitka, but I don't want to toss the KUIU aside just because they look cheap. The KUIU doesn't look like it'd stand up to the rough, briar infested yaupon thickest very well. There also doesn't seem to be a coat that is comparable to the Fanatic.

What are the thoughts of the GS on these? Are there others that I should consider? First Lite? Gray Wolf Woolens?

My biggest thing with choosing a jacket is noise. Drawing back you need to be dead quiet and I believe those mentioned are not. I'm interested in what others have to say about this and recommendations. I ended up going with a Spyder brand black jacket for ground blinds and a cheapie camo fleece for tree stands. Both very quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First Lite woodbury or sanctuary. They are dead quiet. However, they do not do well in briars. Briars will poke holes in it.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
        First Lite woodbury or sanctuary. They are dead quiet. However, they do not do well in briars. Briars will poke holes in it.
        I was just about to ask about the First Lite Sanctuary.

So, it is somewhat briar susceptible?

Comment

Same situation as yourself, I lost a bunch of weight and did a 3 day, +12 hour each sit in december last season. That weekend I was wearing some merino wool base layers, a long sleeve shirt and the Kuiu Teton Jacket and Pants and theyre quiet and warm.

I own both Sitka and Kuiu, both have their place. If its going to be harsh conditions like a downpour or extreme cold, I will probably be wearing my Sitka gear, Their incinerator line is incredible but I think its too warm for Texas hunting. Kuiu is good stuff, dont let the "lower" price fool you. Ive worn both through extremely thick briar patches and through mesquites with no issues.

I love both brands and they are all pretty quiet to myself unless you start getting into their rain gear. Biggest thing I learned how to do properly after losing a bunch of weight is the importance of layering properly. A good merino base layer will do wonders and for the most part, bowhunting in Texas, a good base layer, mid layer and a vest will keep me plenty warm, quiet, and flexible.

Comment

MeatEater Family of Brands (First Lite, FHF Gear, Phelps)

If you get real cold

I'd look into some merino base layers as well to help regulate temp

Comment

Originally posted by Shane77624 View Post
              I was just about to ask about the First Lite Sanctuary.

So, it is somewhat briar susceptible?
              Yes. I tracked a hog wearing mine and ended up with a few small holes in it. It is a wonderful jacket aside from that, and honestly, I probably wouldn't ever wear it while tracking again, I burned up.

Like you I lost weight this year and I've replaced my sanctuary with a woodbury. I haven't had it out in the cold yet, but I think it is better suited for Texas. I may have to put on an extra layer on those really cold days to make up for less insulation

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                https://www.firstlite.com/woodbury-jacket.html

If you get real cold

I'd look into some merino base layers as well to help regulate temp

Base layer, mid layer and over layer.
                I wear a base layer for most of October. SS first lite llano (I think)

Then last half of October into November, I can get by with the SS base and a 1/4 zip long sleeve firstlite llano (or whatever it’s called).

If it get a little colder, I’ll add another layer.

When it gets really cold, I wear my sanctuary jacket. That thing is hot! I typically sit in the tripod with it half zipped.

I also have some good head gear. And don’t over look your feet...socks and good foot wear is a must.

LAst year, I added a hand ‘fanny pack’ thingy. Kind of like what quarterbacks would wear to put their hands in when not playing. I wear it around my waist and slip my hands into it. It’s amazing that keeping my feet and hands warms, will extend my sit times.

The links above and quoted post is good info. Base layers are the key.

Comment

Working...
                X