New F150 which motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rat View Post
    Really? Show me a 3.5 L making just over 900 HP (with any mods). I can show you two 5.0 L just here in the Austin area.
    900hp, won't happen. There are eco mustangs though pushing 600. Pretty good for a V6. Talking to the Ford dealership V8 Mustangs are going to be a thing of the past before long.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm real happy with my 5.0.

Comment

weird when folks say my mechanic swears by this motor. what vehicles do ya'll have to have that much dialogue with a mechanic?

Comment

Have a 2013 5.0 and can't complain about anything! Just pulled a 28' camper 420 miles and she didn't hick-up one! Less mods to go wrong, why push the hell out of a motor with super chargers when you have RAW power?!?

Comment

5.0L...... the only six cylinder a truck should have is an inline. Not to mention they sound sissy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Two buddy's bought the 2.7 Ecoboost and thought the power when their turbos kicked in was awesome and would brag that their gas mileage was better than anything else on the road. Then one pulled a 10' trailer and saw his gas mileage go from gloat to "oh crap" mode. 12mpg with turbos squealing. The other buddy noticed white "smoke" coming from his exhaust pipe when he was walking up to it and hit the remote start on the key fob. It went into the shop about 4 times and kept doing it. The last time it was at the stealership for over a month. A new motor later he took it home and the same day it was doing it again. Now he has a 5.0 like me. If I don't stomp on the gas, I easily get 22mpg. When I let FM-2004 get the best of me, it drops to 17mpg. BTW the 5.0 feels a 10' trailer at the gas pump too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KNEE DEEP View Post
                5.0 will get you 13 mpg mixed and the eco boost will get you 19 mpg mixed. Got 21 on my ecoboost Bracketville and back and 13 on our 5.0. Both 4x4. But the eco does have max trailer tow package and 10 speed. Prefer ecoboost any day. Pulls great.

Not true, or it might be true for you, but gas mileage will vary depending on how you drive it.

A magazine did a comparison test of the 5.0 vs. the ecoboost gas mileage. After the test was done (both towing and empty, city and highway) there was only 0.5 mpg difference between the two.
                Last edited by 91cavgt; 08-18-2017, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post
                  I hear the eco is good to 100,000 then have to replace a turbo.
                  It all depends on how well you take care of routine maintenance. A turbo can last a VERY long time if it is cared for. You can even hot rod it, but care must be taken to prevent turbo damage by letting the turbos cool after a hard drive, and with using good oil.

A friend of mine had over 200k miles on stock turbos on his 91 300ZX twin turbo that he raced and had the car tuned to put down 450 hp to the wheels.

Comment

The last two F-150's I had were the 5.0 and the current one is a 3.5 eco, all of these had the same gear ratio and the 3.5 pulls the same boat considerably better than the 5.0's as well as getting 2-3 mpg better with the 10 speed transmission. I only have about 15k miles on the eco but as of today if I was to buy another it would be the 3.5 eco with the 10 speed transmission.

Comment

Drive them and you decide....

Comment

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
                        Drive them and you decide....
                        This is exactly what I did and still couldn't decide. The dealership I bought from had two identical 2015 FX4's...every option the same even color except one had 3.5 EB and one 5.0. I drove them back to back and I loved the sound of the 5.0 when taking off from a light but the 3.5 was noticeably quicker going by "seat of the pants feel" after driving them both I still couldn't decide. It came down to the deal I got for me. Although the sticker on the Ecoboost truck was several hundred dollars higher I was able to get it for a several hundred less so I bought it. I have only had the Ecoboost a year and a half and 20,000 miles but so far it has been great. It gets crazy good gas mileage for a 4wd truck at sub 70mph speeds (which I almost never drive) the mileage drops considerably from 70-80 mph which is to be expected.

Comment

The Ecoboost will beat any 5.0 off the line because they are lighter and have more torque with the turbos. The 5.0 4x4 and 3.5TT 4x4 get the same amount of gas mileage, My grandfather has a 3.5TT with the 6 speed transmission and I have the 5.0 with the 6 speed.

You have more potential to make more horse power with the 5.0 that is just fact. but if you are looking to just throw a tune in it and make more horse power then the 3.5 is the way to go. Each have their pros and cons. you could put twin scroll turbos on a 5.0, with good down pipes and exhaust and a tune and easily make 600+ hp, but you would probably also get about 10MPG.

To the OP I would wait till the 2018's come out. Ford is putting the 10 Speed transmission in all their trucks so then that wont be a deciding factor between the 3.5 and 5.0. Also another thing we just bought the wife a 2017 Explorer Sport with the 3.5TT and I could not get that thing to 20MPG for the life of me it sits around 17 whether you drive it hard or like a grandma.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                            weird when folks say my mechanic swears by this motor. what vehicles do ya'll have to have that much dialogue with a mechanic?
                            Must be MOPAR guys...

Comment

91cavgt, my numbers came from real time driving, not magazines. I drove both, picked the one I wanted and I know for a fact that the eco is 3-4 mpg better and with all that low end torque pulls better. Look at post after mine sounds like they got Ecoboost and love them.

Comment

I went with the 5.0. I didn't want to rely on the turbos to do the work of an underpowered engine. It may be ok but just doesn't seem right. especially when they try to press you real hard to buy an Eco. steered me straight away from them even more!

Comment

Working...
                                X