Best short action caliber to shoot with 16” barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best short action caliber to shoot with 16” barrel

I’m wanting to build a Tactical, compact rifle to shoot suppressed 100% of the time. Have an xlr folding chassis already in short action, so now trying to decide which cartridge to chamber it in - with a 16” barrel (shortest allowed without NFA bs).

Would be used for fun shooting, and all around caliber in Texas.

The barrel length makes me consider AR type cartridges - 223, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 creed, .308...?

Anyone have any suggestions on an efficient cartridge in this barrel length that has available factory ammo?

.223, lot of different ammo and works well out of 16 barrel.

Comment

I’ve got a 16.5” .308 that’s a 1000 yard fun when I do my part.

Comment

Remington. 700 sps tactical threaded 16” bull barrel. It’s a .308 and I’ve taken everything from javelina to elk with it. I love this rifle and it is absolutely perfect for riding around in the truck or ranger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

At that length I’d just go .308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The shorter the barrel the the more use you get from bore diameter regarding velocity.

Having said that, I'd go 308 and if you know me and it were a build it would be an AI. If for no other reason then brass trimming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

300 blackout or 308.

Possibly 6.8spc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'd lean .308 Win too.

Comment

Yep 308 gets my vote. I’ve seen what a suppressed 308 can do from 100-1000. Don’t get much better for an all around gun.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Lots of good choices out there. Grendel, 6 Creed, 6.5 Creed, .224 Valkyrie looks pretty cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
                      I’m wanting to build a Tactical, compact rifle to shoot suppressed 100% of the time. Have an xlr folding chassis already in short action, so now trying to decide which cartridge to chamber it in - with a 16” barrel (shortest allowed without NFA bs).

Would be used for fun shooting, and all around caliber in Texas.

The barrel length makes me consider AR type cartridges - 223, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 creed, .308...?

Anyone have any suggestions on an efficient cartridge in this barrel length that has available factory ammo?
                      458 socom fits the bill!, built around 16" barrel from the start.. ammo is more expensive but is available

Comment

Comment

For accuracy and flat trajectory out of a 16" barrel, hard to be the 6.8SPC... That's what it was designed for to give the AR platform a little more punch but still perform in the AR... I have a 16" AR (ARP upper) that is WAY sub-MOA. I'd think it would be one hole groups WAY out there out of a good bolt gun...

But... having said all that, the .308 is tried and true too as long as you create a good doping card for it. And nothing will give you more flexibility as far as ammo variety as a .308.

Comment

Traditional short action calibers still out perform anything that will fit in an ar mag by a substantial margine out of a 16 inch barrel. May get suspect getting down into some of the 22's. Where muzzle flash and recoil are a concern I could maybe see it. With the suppressor... Do any of your standard choices

Comment

338fed 358win

Comment

Working...
                              X