Short school bus for sleeping at land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short school bus for sleeping at land?

Currently, there is nowhere to sleep where I hunt. If we spend the night, we either set up tents or sleep in the truck. Someday, it would be nice to build a cabin, or even just a weather-tight blind that's big enough to sleep in. But, I don't have time for those projects right now.

For the near-term, I was thinking about buying an older short school bus, and using that as a place to sleep at the land. I also considered a minivan, full-size van, SUV, ambulance, etc. But, the thing I like about the school bus is the large quantity of windows that open. For warm nights, we could sleep with the windows open, to get some airflow. Probably cover them with mosquito netting to keep the bugs out. Also, if we wanted to use it as a hunting blind, there are plenty of windows for multiple hunters.

Downsides:
    1) It's ugly
    2) A bus requires more maintenance than a trailer, if I want to keep it in driveable condition
    3) Easier to steal than a cabin
    4) No insulation for cold nights

What's wrong with this idea that I haven't already thought of? I appreciate any inputs.

Originally posted by Brad96 View Post
    Currently, there is nowhere to sleep where I hunt. If we spend the night, we either set up tents or sleep in the truck. Someday, it would be nice to build a cabin, or even just a weather-tight blind that's big enough to sleep in. But, I don't have time for those projects right now.

For the near-term, I was thinking about buying an older short school bus, and using that as a place to sleep at the land. I also considered a minivan, full-size van, SUV, ambulance, etc. But, the thing I like about the school bus is the large quantity of windows that open. For warm nights, we could sleep with the windows open, to get some airflow. Probably cover them with mosquito netting to keep the bugs out. Also, if we wanted to use it as a hunting blind, there are plenty of windows for multiple hunters.

Downsides:
    1) It's ugly
    2) A bus requires more maintenance than a trailer, if I want to keep it in driveable condition
    3) Easier to steal than a cabin
    4) No insulation for cold nights

What's wrong with this idea that I haven't already thought of? I appreciate any inputs.
    I would just buy an RV meant for that purpose. More comfortable and better resale. No use trying to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

Depends if you own or lease. I went from a tent to a storage container. Which was about $2Gs delivered. Was great when it was cold, and not that bad when it was warm if you set up a fan. And am now building a cabin and use the container for storage.

Comment

I should mention that I'm cheap. I was thinking of spending ~$2-3k.

DirtyDave, that ambulance is awesome, but way out of my price range, and lacking for windows.

Instead of an RV, I would probably consider a travel trailer. That way, it's still mobile if I want to move it, but there's no drive train to maintain. This is an option, but it seems like they usually don't have a lot of windows. I will not have access to electricity to run A/C.

Comment

Deer lease special RV.

Comment

Id go for the travel trailer as well. Just so easy to find a habitable one in your price range. (I even have a pop up camper that is in great condition I'd sale you in your budget)

That being said, I was invited to hunt at a buddy's lease in Colmesneil a couple seasons ago and a bus is what he had converted to stay in. Sealed all openings with expanding spray foam, and used a generator for lights and to run a window unit ac he put in the rear of it................add some cots and sleeping bag, fairly comfortable

Comment

I know a lot about short busses.

Seriously I had the same issue. This was my solution.

Comment

I would buy a nice canvas tent and put it on a wood floor before I bought a bus to sleep in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Where is your lease?

I have a job trailer on mobile home axles at our place Ive been meaning to post in classifieds. Its already got 3 or 4 bunks and with some plumbing can have a shower and toilet. Come get it in Houston county.

I do not currently have pics

Comment

I slept in a converted school bus with bunks at a deer lease one year. that sucker was frigid inside when it got cold even with heaters going all night long.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Where is your lease?

I have a job trailer on mobile home axles at our place Ive been meaning to post in classifieds. Its already got 3 or 4 bunks and with some plumbing can have a shower and toilet. Come get it in Houston county.

I do not currently have pics
                      Great gesture there Sir.

OP...Problem solved. Use money for upgrades.

Comment

I stay in a school bus on the lease I'm on. It was there long before I was. Only a few of the windows lower. We bring a trolling motor battery and run a fan and tv at night. The battery last all night. The worst is the cold . We run one of the buddy heaters at night and it cant keep up. Back at the end of January I found a Big Buddy on sale and will see how that works.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I'll try to answer a few questions that have been asked:

batmaninja: I own a small place north of Lake Texoma. I have looked at cargotainers. I like that idea, because they're (relatively) more secure than the other options. I could store stuff in it, too. I'm worried about it being hot most of the year though, with no windows. I don't have grid power to run a fan, although I suppose I could set up solar and batteries.

Txbownut: I followed your trailer build. It looks great! Not many windows for non-A/C summers, though. I could add windows, but that adds cost, too.

westtexducks: OK, you don't want to sleep in a bus. But, more specifically, what's wrong with sleeping in a bus? Too cold, too ghetto? Tents have their own issues.

Quackerbox: I'm interested. My place is in southern Oklahoma, but I might drive to Houston Co if it's a good fit. I'll PM you for more details.

I think I need to look harder at travel trailers and shipping containers. Each one has its advantages. But, I'm interested to hear what, specifically, is wrong with using a short bus, other than lack of insulation for the winter.

Comment

To answer your question to cold in the winter to hot in the summer and gonna be cramped. A good canvas tent with a wood stove will be much warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer plus more room to spread out.

Comment

Working...
                            X