MLD harvest percentage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLD harvest percentage question

What is your best guess on the percentage of deer yall take on your property/lease each season ?

Some take very few and don't get kicked off the program. Im not sure you can get kicked off.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      Some take very few and don't get kicked off the program. Im not sure you can get kicked off.
      I am just trying to get a feel for the ratio of MLD tags to number of deer on a property.

Comment

Our total deer #s are anywhere between 110 and 145 thru a hrlicopter survey. I believe the we may see 40 to 50% while flying. We average about 20 bucks and 20 does each year. That's the average, it all depends on the fawn crop.

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
          Our total deer #s are anywhere between 110 and 145 thru a hrlicopter survey. I believe the we may see 40 to 50% while flying. We average about 20 bucks and 20 does each year. That's the average, it all depends on the fawn crop.
          Interesting... So, with your numbers your MLD tags are about 14% of the deer on your property, right ?

40/290 = 14%

Do y'all typically take about 40 deer per year ?

Comment

Originally posted by TWOHunter View Post
            I am just trying to get a feel for the ratio of MLD tags to number of deer on a property.
            The biologist should issue the tags based on your population surveys/observations/harvest logs.

The number of tags he/she issues you is the number of deer you should harvest. Our only exception to the rule is if we pass on bucks to let them age.

Edit: I guess I'm not really answering your question. I'd have to find out what our total population is to give you an idea.
            Last edited by HoustonHunter; 10-02-2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I should be able to shed some more light on this later today. This will be our first year in MLD. Biologist promised to have harvest Reccomendations to us before bow season opened. Nothing like waiting to the last minute.

Going into our surveys we were told the target deer per acre number in our area is 1 deer to every 13 or 14 acres. Based on our survey data we are 1 deer to every 3 acres ����. Extremely anxious to see what he is going to suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by TWOHunter View Post
                Interesting... So, with your numbers your MLD tags are about 14% of the deer on your property, right ?

40/290 = 14%

Do y'all typically take about 40 deer per year ?
                The biologist goes strictly by the number we see from helicopter, not what we believe we have. If we have a total count of 140 (bucks, does, fawns) and we take 40 deer (20 bucks/ 20 does) I believe the % is 29%. Like I said, all depends on fawn crop. Another side note is, as long as we are shooting the RIGHT culls, he will continue to give us buck tags.

Comment

To answer your last question, Yes, we usually kill around 40 deer per year

Comment

Never understood how it works but the last 2 yrs we have been 60 doe tags and 25 buck tags. The buck tags seem on target for what we need however, we struggled to get 30 doe last season but we do have a much higher fawn crop this year.

Comment

Interesting info from everyone. Looks like our initial MLD tag allowance/recommendation is about 10-13% of our deer herd

Comment

Working...
                      X