rackmaster or peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rackmaster or peas

Does anyone have any experience planting rackmaster or maybe just peas (clay peas or BEP) in sandy soil in the DeWitt county area?

I have a disc and a small tractor that I can use.

This would be for a spring plot starting after April 1st. About 1 1/2 acres total. The area is on the low side of the sandy area and holds mositure better than the higher sandy ground.

Any comments are appreciated.

I would go with the black eyed peas as they would be the most adaptive of the three you mentioned.( given your soil type) Don't forget to check your pH and add lime if needed. Also, fertilize your plot as well. IF you are going to take the time to work the soil and plant, you might as well spend a little dinero to make it worth your while...

Comment

I did a soil test three years ago, so probably time to do another one. I can also throw out some triple 13.

Im going to research clay peas and BEP a little better, maybe call the local feed store and talk to a few more people in the area that might have some local experience.

Comment

if your serious about food plots then soil tests need to be done yearly at the minimum, possibly even 6 months if your soils are poor because of the twice a year lime applications.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
          I did a soil test three years ago, so probably time to do another one. I can also throw out some triple 13.

Im going to research clay peas and BEP a little better, maybe call the local feed store and talk to a few more people in the area that might have some local experience.
          I have planted iron clay peas in sandy soil many times spring summer plot and have had good luck. The problem is either the deer or rabbits really like the new sprouts and if they get nipped off right when they come up they dont grow well. Also about july aug time frame when there no rain for extended period time they dont handle drought well probably cause the sandy soil doesnt hold moisture well. I payed 42.00 for 50lbs this year for seed. Good luck and let us see how it turns out for ya.

Comment

Iam going to plant clay /iron peas down in live oak county in April as well. I have checked on prices all around the Austin area cause I live in Elgin . The cheapest I have found is at E-Bar feeds in Gonzales $25 /50# and corn is 5.49 /50#. Just thought I would let you know. Talk To Bow .

Comment

Originally posted by macdad View Post
              Iam going to plant clay /iron peas down in live oak county in April as well. I have checked on prices all around the Austin area cause I live in Elgin . The cheapest I have found is at E-Bar feeds in Gonzales $25 /50# and corn is 5.49 /50#. Just thought I would let you know. Talk To Bow .
              really appreciate it! This is what TBH is all about.

Comment

i just called E-bar, it is $49 a bag for peas

Comment

got the plots shreaded and disced this weekend. Prolly an acre total.

Going to disc again after April 1 and put out seed.

Not sure if I am going to plant a spring mix, BEP or peas.

Comment

for once I got lucky, my Dad said I got about 1/2 inch of rain on my disced plot!

Going to plant after April 1st.

Comment

Did some reading at my friends lease while we waited on pigs. A QDMA book on food plots was very informative. Think I am going with Cow peas and about 5-10 pounds of milo.

I also need to look at a fence to keep the deer out while the plants are getting established.

Oh yeah, got another 1/4 to 1/2 of rain on my plot. Should be ready to plant on April 1.

Comment

The best part of the cow peas is they will come back after browsing once they have a good root system. Had cows munch mine early, but they came back at the joints and still made a great stand.

Comment

Cow peas , it what we planting also !

Comment

cool. I will be discing and planting after Easter.

Comment

Good luck on the food plot, I had the same problem with the deer hitting the plot early in the growth and just destroyed it. Putting up a fence to keep them out until the roots are established is a big bonus

Comment

Working...
                              X