Internal footer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal footer

Anyone ever put a 6 or 8 in piece of arrow on the inside of your shaft to help stiffen it so you can add more weight up front?

I am currently shooting carbon express blu rz 350’s I took a 6 in piece of carbon express medallion 500 that fit perfectly inside my arrow.

It seems to have really stiffened it up.

I am shooting a defiant turbo 70 @ 30.

Initial observations appear good at 20 and 60 yards with slick trick magnum heads.

All said and done I will be shooting 125 gr Iron Will solids with 3 Mini Blazers for elk.

What indication it stiffen up the shaft

Comment

Check out Firenock’s aero concept inserts and carbon tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
        What indication it stiffen up the shaft
        A right strike bare shaft of 6 inches at 10 yards turned into a 2 inch right strike at 10 yards even though I increased the “point” weight by 35 gr which is 6 inches of arrow footer.

You can feel the stiffer flex if I try to flex half the arrow compared to one with no footer.

I still need to fix a slight weak spined arrow. I will probably do it with a slight adjustment to the rest or I will back the lbs off the bow a few lbs.

I am thinking about footing the outside of the arrow with a 2 inch piece of aluminum arrow to keep the insert from mushrooming the arrow and it should strengthen the spot between the internal foot and the insert.

The insert is 60 gr stainless and the heads are 125 gr, there is roughly 35 gr of arrow footer for 220 up front.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
          A right strike bare shaft of 6 inches at 10 yards turned into a 2 inch right strike at 10 yards even though I increased the “point” weight by 35 gr which is 6 inches of arrow footer.

You can feel the stiffer flex if I try to flex half the arrow compared to one with no footer.

I still need to fix a slight weak spined arrow. I will probably do it with a slight adjustment to the rest or I will back the lbs off the bow a few lbs.

I am thinking about footing the outside of the arrow with a 2 inch piece of aluminum arrow to keep the insert from mushrooming the arrow and it should strengthen the spot between the internal foot and the insert.

The insert is 60 gr stainless and the heads are 125 gr, there is roughly 35 gr of arrow footer for 220 up front.

Thoughts?
          Ok the reason I asked was to see what reaction you got. I’m not sure what you mean by a right strike.

But it looks like your doing thangs and learning and seeing reactions. This is great and by doing things like this makes tuning easier.

So just information. Side tears in a compound with a release aid is not spine. Spine shows up as high / low tears.

I would like to talk to you about what your doing. I have a few test to try if you have the time.

Thanks Eric

Comment

How I can add more weight from the front.

Comment

Ok the reason I asked was to see what reaction you got. I’m not sure what you mean by a right strike.

But it looks like your doing thangs and learning and seeing reactions. This is great and by doing things like this makes tuning easier.

So just information. Side tears in a compound with a release aid is not spine. Spine shows up as high / low tears.

I would like to talk to you about what your doing. I have a few test to try if you have the time.

Thanks Eric
              He's not paper tuning. He's shooting bare shafts! Originally the bare shafts hit 6" right of bull. After adding internal foot, they hit 2" right of bull.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Jayden57 View Post
                How I can add more weight from the front.
                Heavier inserts or heavier points/broadheads or combination of both.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  He's not paper tuning. He's shooting bare shafts! Originally the bare shafts hit 6" right of bull. After adding internal foot, they hit 2" right of bull.

Bisch
                  So by adding the internet footer his arrow is now closer to his aim point.

Comment

Thoughts?
                    Why not just get a stiffer shaft?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                      Why not just get a stiffer shaft?
                      Because
                      1. I had 12 shafts to play with.
                      2. Lighter gpi equals more FOC.

Comment

So by adding the internet footer his arrow is now closer to his aim point.
                        That’s what I thought would happen. If you double the spine of the first 8 inches of an arrow it should behave like an arrow that is 8 inches shorter. That’s what it appears has happened for me.

What I would like to do is try this with a goldtip XT or something with a ultra light GPI. Add 10-12 inches of shaft inside behind the insert to double the spine over half the arrow. It should make for an extreme FOC arrow.

More testing is needed.

Comment

That’s what I thought would happen. If you double the spine of the first 8 inches of an arrow it should behave like an arrow that is 8 inches shorter. That’s what it appears has happened for me.

What I would like to do is try this with a goldtip XT or something with a ultra light GPI. Add 10-12 inches of shaft inside behind the insert to double the spine over half the arrow. It should make for an extreme FOC arrow.

More testing is needed.
                          I built two shafts tonight. both are 300 spine carnivores. I installed 100gr brass. one arrow I installed a 6 inch blackeagle x impact in it. ill start on it tomorrow night.

eric

Comment

I built two shafts tonight. both are 300 spine carnivores. I installed 100gr brass. one arrow I installed a 6 inch blackeagle x impact in it. ill start on it tomorrow night.

eric

Make sure the x impacts fit really tight in the carnivores or it won’t stop the flex.

Below is 15 yards.

Comment

Make sure the x impacts fit really tight in the carnivores or it won’t stop the flex.

Below is 15 yards.
                              How are you keeping the internal shaft in place?

Comment

Working...
                              X