Emotions After the Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emotions After the Shot

I'll preface this with the fact that I'm not a very emotional person in general. I'm probably kind of cold natured most of the time. I think some of it has to do with the fact that I lost my best friend in a wreck my senior year of high school and then lost two grandmothers and my mother within 3 years after that. I think those years put me in an emotionless state and it's just stuck with me.

That being said, I get excited about hunting and I'm happy when I make a harvest, but its not the kind of "emotion" or acting that you see on tv. I've always thought it was a little silly how worked up some of those guys get after the shot on a buck. Well, after I shot my buck two days ago in Kansas, for the first time, I was jacked up like I haven't been in a long time. I couldn't get the excitement out of my body for an hour or so and couldn't wipe the grin off my face. It was sheer joy and excitement and boy did it feel good. I truly believe I looked like some of those guys on tv for a few minutes.

So, what does it take to get your emotions rolling after the shot? I'm not talking about a little high five and pat on the back. I'm talking about that kind of emotion that sets you on fire for a few minutes. Maybe you haven't felt that yet. Or maybe you have because you finally got the animal you've been chasing for several years. Or because you knew you just shot your biggest buck ever. What's it take? What animal set your emotions at an all time high in the hunting woods?

Any hunt really. If I ever have the rush stop then I’ll stop hunting I guess. I don’t hoot and holler and cry like some of the guys on tv, but I do get the shakes after. I lost it with rabbits for some reason. Maybe killed too many I dunno but I just don’t shoot them anymore. Starting to get less mad at wt and really looking forward to pushing into western hunts. A big buck strolling through will always do it for me, but if I have meat in the freezer most will get a pass until the one shows up.

Comment

For me hunting in Texas doesnt get me very jacked up, even when taking a deer with my bow. Don’t get me wrong though I love to do it but it doesn’t get me all that emotional. Now hunting out west out of state gets me crazy jacked up and emotional with every kill I’ve had whether it was a trophy or not.

Comment

Stan Potts comes to mind.

For me it's any hunting especially with a bow! Heck I don't even have to shoot. Just the sight of a big buck gets my heart racing. Driving down the highway I'm busting u-turns to go back for a second look!

Comment

Man I get so worked up after the shot I'm surprised there's a Pioneer on the tree I'm shaking so hard and that's just on a doe or a pig

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk

Comment

4 Years ago i killed a deer i’d Hunted for a month.

Got a fist pump out of me.

Comment

Spring turkey do it for me more than deer. When I hear a Tom drumming, my heart starts pumping.

Comment

I find myself immediately praying and giving thanks. That’s the first thing I do when I get in the deer stand, thanking god for the opportunity and for being a hunter, then I give thanks for a harvest.

On meat hunts I don’t fist pump or jump around. I’m excited, but not over the top. On a buck or something I’ve been chasing for a while, I’m pumped and there’s lots of “f ya!”s in there.

Comment

Seeing a coyote,bobcat or fox coming to the call gets my heart pumping. I can't imagine how jacked up I'd be if I ever got the opportunity to see a mountain lion or wolf in my scope. I'd pass up any deer alive to find out.

Pinning a big rattlesnakes head down and picking it up is a different kind of adrenaline rush.

Everything else I shoot I shoot just because it's fun. I've killed enough turkeys,hogs and game birds that I don't get all worked up over it really. It's fun or I wouldn't bother with it but they all have different levels of excitement for me. I'd just as soon see someone else shoot a big buck.

Comment

If I ever lose the excitement it will be time to stop hunting and just use the camera. I get excited after the shot for everything from a dove to an elk. I would say my most exciting hunts thus far were my antelope and bear, both with the bow. My mule deer was a real close second though

Comment

I get a little pumped when I’m bow hunting. Then again, I haven’t harvested a huge buck yet, I’m sure that would have me on cloud 9 though.
                      I really get the most emotional when my son or wife hunts and I’m in the blind. It’s a whole other level! My boy will be cool as a cucumber and I’m shaking like a leaf and all jacked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesdad07 View Post
                        I get a little pumped when I’m bow hunting. Then again, I haven’t harvested a huge buck yet, I’m sure that would have me on cloud 9 though.
                        I really get the most emotional when my son or wife hunts and I’m in the blind. It’s a whole other level! My boy will be cool as a cucumber and I’m shaking like a leaf and all jacked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        That's the best

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm 68 yrs young, haven't been "TV excited" about a kill in a long time. For the last 14 years or so I hunted a strictly managed deer lease with ultr strict rules on what could be taken and what could not. After that much time "looking" at deer and letting them grow, only taking culls or "management deer" it kinda takes the rush out of hunting IMO. Growing up if you saw a buck, a legal deer to take your heart pumped from the shot all the way through the recovery. Managing for a trophy to me, takes some of that away until you finally take the OMG buck of a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                            Stan Potts comes to mind.
                            “Gimme a second folks. I need to calm down. I just drilled a giant! Gimme a second folks! I just put a perfect shot on that Illinois giant folks! Let’s get down and go find him folks.”

Yea, I’ve watched one of his shows. Maybe 2.

Comment

I think it's a little weird when people start laughing after they kill something. Are they that over the top happy?

Comment

Working...
                              X