E. Texas Pine Plantation Flood Plot Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E. Texas Pine Plantation Flood Plot Questions

For those of you who have planted in a pine plantation, what are some things I need to do/pay attention to when creating a fall/winter plot? What works best (oats/elbon rye/clover) in these shaded and closed in areas? Should I disc or just clear the pine needles and such and scatted prior to a rain with bare soil contact?

Soil is SE Texas gumbo clay with a little sand.

Thanks for your help up front.

Disc and lime. Fertilize after you plant. What you are wanting to plant will work. Have to combat the acidity in the soil.

Comment

Lime, as mentioned. How much..?, you really need to do some homework and find out, if you want things as good as possible.
      Turnips. They do good in the fall, and the deer love them. Northeast East Texas lol.

Comment

Thanks guys. If figured I am going to have to put down a LOAD of lime. If I have enough time I am going to soil test.

Comment

Are these trails you're wanting go plant ? How big are the areas and how much sun do they get ? I agree soil test first or you don't know where to start.

Comment

100 yards long by 15-20 yards wide. The constant shade is my concern.

Comment

Elbon rye grows good in acidic soil. I would do some type of cereal grain like oats and elbon rye. Over seed with clover and brassicas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. Rye can take a bunch of shade as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  Thanks. Rye can take a bunch of shade as well?

I’m not sure. I’ll be planting it in cleaned up row plantation as well. I’ll know more after this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wheat will grow almost anywhere, but a neutral ph is better for almost any crop you can name. Whitetail Institute clover grows well in partial shade but the ph needs to be between 6 and 7 to have a good crop. If you don't want to soil test I'd do wheat, seed it fairly heavy and fertilize with triple 13 at 300/350 lb. per acre.

Comment

There is not much that will grow in constant shade. Are you talking about planting in a little clearing inside planted pines or actually under them?

Comment

You can make some very nice plots in pine plantation lanes. I can tell you what I do and then you can decide for yourself.

I spray my lanes, plow all the dead vegetation under. You can lime if you want, but I havent seen any issues with not Limeing. I use triple 13 fertilizer or chicken manure, both work great. I plant a blend called BuckBuster and top it off with an equal amount of Winter Wheat. This blend is very graze resistant and the deer love it.

I usually wait till it rains and go in that day or the next and plow and plant. Using chicken manure eliminates the need for Lime.

I also have a small round plot in a plantation that I plant and have real good success with the same techniques.

Partial shade does not bother this blend(BuckBuster) either.

Comment

Where do you find this "Buckbuster"? Thanks.

Doug

Comment

I did a Whitetail Institute soil test for my E. Texas plot and got recommended lime amount and optimal plots to grow. Disc'd at end of July, limed last weekend in anticipation of some rain this week and will plant mid September. Mix of Pennington Durana White Clover, Texas Twist (brassicas, turnip, radish, & 3 types of clovers), Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover Perennial and Winter Greens (brassicas and turnip).

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X