Bullet selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullet selection

Looking for feedback on the Nosler Accubond and the Swift Scirroco. Looking to make the switch to one of these for my 260 because they're offered in 130 grain pills instead of the 120s. Not interested in hand loading right now so both come in factory loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buy a box of each and see which one your rifle likes

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      buy a box of each and see which one your rifle likes
      Nailed it, a 308 I had for a s=while liked both equally well. matter of fact shot a 5/8 inch group at 100 yards 3 of one 2 of the other. Both are good hunting bullets.

I have used both in the past and never recovered one to see what tehy look like after hitting deer, hogs or axis.

Comment

Bonded bullets really aren't needed with 260 velocities, but I've had great luck with Accubonds in other rounds. I shoot 120 gr Federal fusions and 140 gr Sierra Gamekings in both of my 260's. Never used the Scirroco, but should be about the same type of performance as the Accubonds.

Comment

I will tell you that in my .300 RUM Scirrocos would not expand fast enough on lung shots. Exit wounds were only about nickel sized. I stopped using them after 2 animals showed this.

Comment

Accubond guilding metal jacket with lead alloy core, thick shank portion of the jacket slows or stops expansion, Retained weight is usuall in the 70% range with the other 30% becoming secondary projectiles along the wound cavity causing more damage. Nosler design engineers were directed to make a bullet that shoots like a Ballistic tip and behave like a Partition in game. they pretty much did.

Sirocco is copper jacket with pure lead core. Usually has 90% or higher weight retention with a big round profile after expansion and not as much damage from the secondary projectile wounding. Bullet may turn inside out at high velocities but damage is along one path.

Though I have never recovered either bullet from game (Didn't take time to look for the one accubond in an elk) Necropsy on critters from both tend to indicate the design differences above.

One of the best on game performance bullets ever designed the Partition I have heard many times doesn't kill as quick as many cup and core bullets and that may be true but there is almost always an exit and blood trail for recovery of game. Like John Wooters once wrote about the 7mm-08 back when it was a fairly new cartridge, "Load it up with a 140gr partition, shoot a deer in the chest and its will to survive goes out the other side". Same could pretty much be said for Accubonds, Siroccos, A-Frame, GMX, Barnes, E-tip, Trophy Bonded...

Comment

I would shoot both and see but not a big fan of the accubonds

Comment

I am a huge fan of the Nosler Accubond! Can't go wrong!

Comment

Working...
                X