Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 11-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #401
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Booner and Q-all have both made outstanding points. There are so many variables that must line up in order to close the deal and sometimes no matter how much experience we have it just doesn't happen for one reason or another. As others have said we have all been there, and if you haven't you will be at some point, so the best thing to do is get back in the saddle and get back after them! Good luck!
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #402
kva393
Four Point

Hunt In: Push County

Keep your head up man. Deer are very tough animals and from the sounds of it you may have hit high and back. More times than not, deer will survive this. I did the same thing last year when my cam hit a branch I neglected to trim properly. I searched for the deer for almost 8 hours and eventually only found part of my arrow. Two weeks later, I got a picture of him trailing a doe with a very noticeable hole just below his left loin (no man's land.).

Hopefully you will get some closure as Boomer said and as i believe Q or someone said last year. There are people who have wounded and lost deer with a bow and there are people who will it just hasn't happened yet
kva393 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #403
rhendrix
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Thanks guys. I know crap happens, I'm just chalking this up to a lesson learned. A hard lesson, but a lesson none the less.
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #404
B G
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Pushmataha OK

These were from the past few days hunts. Let the spikes make it this time. Finally had deer show up at the corn feeder that I put out in May. But the pigs are still hitting it too.
B G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #405
q-all
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka Co, Ok ,Grayson Co. Tx, Montana

Touching back on the wounding a deer and he survives,

In 2012 I shot torch , a then 160 class deer bad, he was steep quartering away and I screwed up and hit no mans land. He shows back up on camera and I later kill him in 2013 completely healthy . He even gained around 10 inches to be a gross Boone 9 pointer .

Pic.

In 2014 I shoot megatron high and back due to arrow deflection. This was a hard one for me to take and I almost hung the bow up for the year. He shows up this year and is a world class deer.

It happens to us all. You just gotta shake it off and get back in the tree.
q-all is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2015, 04:54 AM   #406
Blake24
Six Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma (Daisy)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446807315.953321.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  271.7 KBShot this buck opening weekend of last year trailed blood for what seem like a mile . Never found him neighbor shot him 1 month later with a rifle completely healthy happens to us all
Blake24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2015, 04:58 AM   #407
Blake24
Six Point

Who's all hunting this weekend?
Old 11-06-2015, 06:00 AM   #408
kva393
Four Point

I'll be up in Cloudy tomorrow afternoon through next Friday. Not sure how far everyone is away.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 AM   #409
kva393
Four Point

Hope all my stands are still up after last night. I imagine that wind helped the acorns a bit more than gravity. Ha!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #410
Blake24
Six Point

I'm in stand now have seen. Some young bucks cruising Deff got some good storms lots of water standing and creeks are full
Old 11-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #411
Blake24
Six Point

I'm in stand now have seen. Some young bucks cruising Deff got some good storms lots of water standing and creeks are full
Old 11-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #412
kva393
Four Point

Guys, if you get time look at this post and let me know your opinion
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=560161
Old 11-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #413
kva393
Four Point

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.co...naw_cull_1206/

another great article
Old 11-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #414
rhendrix
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kva393 View Post

Great article, I've never really understood culling a 1.5 year old spike, it makes about as much sense as putting down a 1.5 year old lab because they haven't mastered fetching birds yet.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #415
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhendrix View Post
Great article, I've never really understood culling a 1.5 year old spike, it makes about as much sense as putting down a 1.5 year old lab because they haven't mastered fetching birds yet.

Great article. Agree with the analogy.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #416
mww982
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

Found a new trail just at the beginning of hunting season and put a camera out. Checked it when we were up there last and found 4 rubs and a scrape between the road and the camera. Will be putting a set up there next year since my hunting is pretty much over for this year.
mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #417
Christianhuff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Oklahoma, Collin County

Had another good 8 show up this week and food plots are looking awesome. Still hoping the big ten made it, but haven't had him show back up.

Christianhuff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #418
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Push County Oklahoma

Had another good weekend of hunting, saw deer every sit. Didn't see any signs of rutting going on but did have some new deer around. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1447019251093.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  59.8 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1447019276916.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  69.6 KB

Turnips are looking good too.
Attached Images

arrowslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #419
kdarwin
Six Point

Hunt In: SE OK, Fannin/Grayson County, SE Kansas
Default Good weekend

Had a good weekend in Push. Saw lots of deer. The big 10 showed up on camera again. Food plot is looking good. Hope to get back up there next weekend.
Attached Images

kdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #420
kdarwin
Six Point

Hunt In: SE OK, Fannin/Grayson County, SE Kansas
Default Food Plot

Food plot is coming along. If I can just keep the cows off!
Attached Images

kdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #421
Darton
Ten Point

Today is the start of three weeks in the woods here in Pittsburg County. Acorns are everywhere and the deer aren't interested in the feeders. I haven't personally seen any rutting activity, but new rubs are showing up everyday! Will update when I can! Good luck everyone!
Old 11-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #422
rhendrix
Ten Point

Good luck buddy!
Old 11-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #423
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
Today is the start of three weeks in the woods here in Pittsburg County. Acorns are everywhere and the deer aren't interested in the feeders. I haven't personally seen any rutting activity, but new rubs are showing up everyday! Will update when I can! Good luck everyone!

Yessir! Tuned in. Pulling for you.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #424
Darton
Ten Point

11/9/15

This mornings hunt was the only time I had any activity. I saw four doe who had no interest in the feeder and were moving without male company. This afternoon was a total bust with no sightings. I have seen absolutely 0% rut activity, but with each day brings us that much closer! I am adjusting to a travel route in a climber for tomorrow morning and ditching the feeder. I have seen a ton of rubs, but no ground scrapes. We still are a little early here, but that should change very soon. I will attempt to update every evening when I get in

Note: This is NW Pittsburg County
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #425
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Darton, that is what my FIL is reporting on our place as well. Seeing rubs and a few scrapes starting to pop up but no real chasing. The yearling bucks are still playing grabarss but the big boys have yet to really crank up.

I'll be heading to the mountains on Friday AM for the last big boy trip prior to Thanksgiving. Looking forward to spending some quality time in the climber myself. Using it as a dress rehearsal of sorts for my all day Hagerman sits in December.

What activity is everyone else seeing?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:07 AM   #426
B G
Six Point

We have active scrapes and I have video from the trail cams of bucks trailing does! Doe goes through and the next video is a buck nose down working the same trail. One was at a dead run trailing.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #427
Vantage Point
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle Co., Antlers, OK., Salem, Mo.

Went up first two weeks of bow season, only had does on the cameras. Went up this past weekend, checked the cameras and we had some bucks starting to show up. In three days of hunting I didn't see a doe. Every sit but one I had bucks charge in after they heard "the can" estrus bleet. Only one that presented a shot was a little four point, he got a pass. I was hoping his buddy which was a 10 would follow his path, but he ended up walking directly under my stand. Had my heart pumping pretty good. The bucks kept hanging up right behind my stand, unfortunately I don't have a shooting lane back there (yet). Monday morning rolls around and my dad had a doe show up and eat some hand corn. Then he noticed movement through the trees, ended up being the 10 point that walked under my stand. He made his way out into a clearing and my pops drilled him with his crossbow. If you can get out there and hunt don't hesitate to use those calls. The bucks are on the search and they're being very responsive. Good luck!
Vantage Point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #428
Darton
Ten Point

11/10

This morning I ditched the feeder and went with a climber on a travel route. I didn't see any bucks, but the two doe I did see walked right under me feeding in the acorn flat. This evening was a bust like the last 4. All I saw was a coyote! I am going to stick with the climber on the trail and acorn flat instead of the feeder with the ability to adjust if I need to. Still 0% rut activity here! Good luck boy's!

Last edited by Darton; 11-10-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #429
3whunt
Four Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

Last weekend we had several bucks pushing does, but don't think it was on just yet. We are starting to get pictures of the mature bucks at our feeders scent checking. Wish I could be up there this weekend as it was really close last weekend.

Micah, not enough posts to send pm's. Not much of a poster these days. Maybe I'll see you at church soon and we can get caught up brother.
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #430
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSE-Madman View Post
We pounded them. Nine on the ground as of now. At the screamin eagle in divide. Have service for some odd an unknown reason. If it's not raining in the morning we are hunting. Deer are moving and some chasing going on.
Let's see some pictures Madman!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #431
Darton
Ten Point

11/13
This morning I saw 6 with two being bucks that were chasing so the rut is on in NW Pittsburg County. I have still quit the feeder and it is proving to be paying off with the activity I have been seeing. The cards from the cameras at the feeders are showing very little activity and it is all at night. I will be back in the climber on an acorn flat next to a creek in the morning to hopefully find a big one that slips up! I have not updated since the 10th because of connection issues way out here! Good luck!
Old 11-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #432
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

My buddy just shot a 135" 11 point here on our place. It was our #2 target deer. Came in to a Tinks scent bomb, I'll upload pics later.
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #433
Darton
Ten Point

11/14

This mornings sit was a complete bust, but this evening showed 7 total with 3 bucks and 1 being a shooter. They were all hot and bothered chasing the ladies so hopefully he will slip up in the next few days!
Old 11-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #434
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

This morning was a lot of fun. The does were everywhere. Saw six does and one forked horn. #4 got the air let out of her.

Got a pass through. She went 25 yards.

Had an encounter with one of our shooters yesterday evening. He was going away at 45 yards. I bleated at him but he ignored me and kept on moving.

Back at it in the AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:36 AM   #435
B G
Six Point

Finally had a buck show at one of the food plots that is barely surviving after the Choctaw horses found it. Too bad he was camera shy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8LmJ5gVoyc
Old 11-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #436
PSE-Madman
Six Point

Hunt In: Kimble, Grayson, and Collin counties

looks like you guys are having fun. I haven't been back since black powder season because I've been so focused on hunting my place in NTX. I shot a big ten Friday morning so I'll likely be focusing on our Push county property pretty soon. may try to make it up next weekend or the weekend after thanksgiving. I'll get some pics up f the bucks we shot during BP season soon. photo bucket and I are not getting along well right now.
PSE-Madman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #437
PSE-Madman
Six Point

here is a link to the thread I started about my buck I killed Friday. Check it out.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=561811
Old 11-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #438
PSE-Madman
Six Point

here is a link to the thread I started about my buck I killed Friday. Check it out.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=561811
Old 11-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #439
rhendrix
Ten Point

The rut is on in Atoka Co. gents. Hunted the past five days and witnessed three does being chased hard by three different bucks. Could've shot a little 4 point and a broken up 8 point but passed. Hopefully I'll get to go back in mid-December and all the acorns will be gone. Patterning deer right now is tough, they don't have to go far to eat. That and the two draw hunts over the past two weekends really changed the deer patterns. I still had fun drawing on the broken 8 though, so the trip wasn't a total loss. And I found a ton of big rubs and fresh scrapes. Had a question, was gonna look it up on google but I'm about to hit the road, how can you differentiate between last years rubs and this years? Some of these rubs are huge and look fresh, but I don't want to move into an area and try to hunt a buck that is either dead or has moved into another area.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #440
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Saw all bucks and no doe at all. Still waiting on a mature one to by.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #441
bwool
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde co.

That's a good lookin ten!
bwool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #442
rhendrix
Ten Point

How in the hell did you pass on that 10 point? I know that's a 3.5 year old deer, so either you've got some monsters around or you're crazy!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #443
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
How in the hell did you pass on that 10 point? I know that's a 3.5 year old deer, so either you've got some monsters around or you're crazy!
He was narrow maybe 14-15" wide, and yes also we have some BIG deer on camera. We try and shoot 140" or bigger. I never thought I would pass n deer like I have this year.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #444
arrowslinger
Ten Point

He would probably go 125

Last edited by arrowslinger; 11-15-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #445
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:

Don't hold back, Ron. Tell us how you really feel! LOL

The line forms to the left for folks that would center punch that buck. Any given year I might be in that line. Not this year though. We've got a few running around our place that dictate prudence. Once I get the videos downloaded from the lease laptop I'll post a few up.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #446
rhendrix
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post

He would probably go 125

Man that's a solid buck, another couple of years he's gonna be a monster! I can tell you right now that if that bucked walked out in front of me this morning I'd have no problem punching my tag on him. But of course, I can't really manage my spot like you guys can. I'd be happy to help you guys out though if given the chance ( hint hint arrowslinger ).
Old 11-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #447
rhendrix
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sooner View Post
Don't hold back, Ron. Tell us how you really feel! LOL

The line forms to the left for folks that would center punch that buck. Any given year I might be in that line. Not this year though. We've got a few running around our place that dictate prudence. Once I get the videos downloaded from the lease laptop I'll post a few up.

Can't wait to see those videos, Micah.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:07 PM   #448
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma
Default 2015 Pushmataha County Thread

This one bit the dust Saturday morning, #2 on the hit list. We didn't see any chasing but we must not be where any of the does have gone to. This season reminds me of 2012 with the bumper crop of acorns this year, they are everywhere. I expect more late season success in our area when they're coming back to corn and rice bran. For now the only thing on their mind is sex and acorns.

Congrats to my lease mate Jeremy on a fine Oklahoma buck. We rough scored him at 134".
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #449
rhendrix
Ten Point

Daniel that's an awesome buck!!!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #450
Darton
Ten Point

11/15

This morning was a bust, but the evenings are better! Saw 9 this evening with 5 being bucks with two shooter among them! Yardage and time is the reason for the lack of connection! Hopefully time will tell!