Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Septic System: Rural Property

Question for the GS:

This kinda ties into my remodeling question. The property I bought has one permanent house on it and my mother used to have a mobile home on it also. The 5 ac spot the mobile home was on was deeded to her and it had a septic system on it. That 5 acres was subsequently deeded back to my grandfather.

While we are in the transition to redo the main house I bought a fairly nice mobile home to live in while we are doing all the work. I tied it into the old septic system where the original mobile home was.

Here is my question, if I want to make the 5 acre spot into a permanent dwelling that could be "separated" from the main property am I going to have to put a full blown aerobic system in or since it once was a home site and has a septic system can it remain a septic system?
    Last edited by 175gr7.62; 10-04-2018, 08:49 AM.

You should be able to keep it a septic system as long as you are not making major modifications/repairs to the septic system itself. Once you start working on the system they will usually require you to update it to aerobic.

Comment

I don't know....but do everything you can to avoid putting in a dam aerobic system!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        I don't know....but do everything you can to avoid putting in a dam aerobic system!
        Second that!

Comment

If it's big enough and in good working shape I don't know why they would require you to do anything other than maybe have it inspected.

Comment

Depends on the County. Some require an inspection even if you are currently using one say with a mobile home and upgrade to a new mobile home.

Comment

As stated above this is a county requirement and not all are the same. I have had 3 aerobic system and one with a leech field I prefer the aerobic system and have yet to have any major issues. I have had to rebuild the little compressor a couple of times but parts are about 30 bucks and takes about 30 minutes.

Comment

Depends on the county, I went with aerobic because my soil wouldnt allow a conventional.. my buddy said a while back Ellis county made everyone in the county go to aerobic no matter if you had a conventional for a moth or 30 years.. don't remember how much time was allowed to get it done..

Comment

As already stated it’s county specific. If you call the county courthouse inspections department they can tell you what the requirements are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Assuming it works fine, how rural you are, sometimes it’s best to let a sleeping dog lie.

Comment

Definitely call your County environmental department and check. I used to work for a County Attorney and had to occasionally do legal work on septic violations for the environmental department. I can almost assure you any modifications will require you to get up to current county specs.

But, I also know a lot of folks did their own septic work and flew under the radar.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                        Assuming it works fine, how rural you are, sometimes it’s best to let a sleeping dog lie.
                        This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Bingo

Comment

This.

Comment

If you have clay aerobic if you have sand conventional. I haven't had many issues with my aerobic. I converted it to a liquid bleach instead of tabs. Rebuilt pump one time. Had some corrosion issues, but that was installers fault, not the system.

Comment

Working...
                              X