Interview with victim of Wyoming bear attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rvd View Post
    Horrible and prayers for all involved. Don't know all of the circumstances but if I were going to retrieve a day old carcass in grizzly country I'd prefer a long tube 12 gauge, followed by a handgun. Hard not to judge the survivor but I've never been in a situation anywhere near that scenario.
    Totally agree.

Comment

I hate reporters. They caught an elk.

I didn’t know you could fish for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

doesn't sound round to me,,, the bear attacks, nocks the gun out of his hand,, and while the bear has him he somehow retrieves the gun, but does not use it, he limp wrists the throw to the guide gets on his horse that is still standing there with TWO bears on full on attack and rides away?

how does he have enough thought process to retrieve the gun, but not enough manhood to use it,,, but thinks " the guide needs my gun more than I do" so I will throw it to him and run away,, ..

I know nothing about horses and don't pretend to,, but I do not see them standing around with bears in a ticked off mood! the article reads like both horses were pulling the elk,,, if so he had enough time and thought to either cut the rope with a knife he had to get from somewhere or untie the rope, all the while the horse stood still ?

I have issues with his "story",,,, or at least the written version of it.... and what happened to the gun because it was not found

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
          My question is why wouldn't a professional guide in bear country have his own pistol? They weren't hunting at that time, they were recovering a carcass that could attract predators of all kinds. It's a very sad deal and I'm praying for all involved.
          Complacency.

Comment

Some of the comments at the bottom of this make me want to vomit!

Comment

Like many stated, several areas of the story don't add up. Waiting for more investigation.

Comment

WOW!!!!! Just WOW!!!!! And he actually had the nerve to say "make sure you bring a gun with the correct ammo".. Or something along those lines.. Wow..
                Last edited by PondPopper; 09-17-2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                  Unbelievably sad deal. I know I wasn’t there and by no means will I claim to fully understand the situation but I just can’t fathom why he would throw the gun and not use it.

Edit: In the first clip the interviewer states that he was trying to “load the pistol” which might explain why he threw it to the guide. Idk. If that’s the case, why on earth would it not already be loaded and one in the chamber?
                  My bet is, because of his statement, he had the wrong ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                    I hate reporters. They caught an elk.

I didn’t know you could fish for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Cast net. Get it right

Comment

This smells. Sad deal and probably totally avoidable. Waiting on a return e-mail from my BIL about this (fwiw, and he lives up there). Dang. Just dang...

Kneemail sent for the family of the deceased.

Comment

sad story but this article made me laugh , on getting the bears ....“They fit the description."...

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                          sad story but this article made me laugh “They fit the description."
                          Racial profiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                            Complacency.
                            .......has gotten a many men killed!!!
                            Sad all the way around.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe the Glock was the guide's gun. I'm thinking maybe the survivor wasn't familiar with it and didn't know how to operate the gun. Maybe the guide didn't carry chambered and the hunter couldn't figure out how to rack it.

Sad story all the way around, but especially when you consider that Uptain leaves behind a wife and five children. Prayers for all affected by this tragedy.
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

As someone who has guided a lot of hunters....
                                Most folks would be surprised how many guys don't know how to operate a firearm.

I have had several instances where I asked a guy to shoot a wounded animal that we had jumped and had them tell me they didn't know how.

I would bet he didn't know how to fire his new handgun that he bought just for this trip and tried to throw it to the guide, figuring he would be able to do it.

As far as running off. Flight or Fight ..... it happens in an instant and you will never know when your nerve will break. We had seval trackers break and run during a Elephant charge, I did not blame them at all.
                                Last edited by Buff; 09-17-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X