Jeep Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeep Years

I need an education on Jeeps. Are there good and bad years? I assume so like the 7.3 vs 6.0 powerstroke. One I sell my C10 I'll be in the market for a daily driver (30mi) jeep. Prices seem all over the board, so I at least want to know what to run to and run from. I know I want a hard top, any other big considerations? Prefer automatic so the wife could drive it, are the transmissions pretty good? Any info is appreciated. If it matters, a budget around 10k. I can bump that up 50% or more if it gets me a lot more.

I have and have had many jeeps over the years. IMO the best jeeps were the TJ's the 4.0 straight 6 is a bullet proof engine the TJ also used coil springs so much better ride. downfalls are they tend to have rust issues in the frame. And fuel mileage sucks for a daily driver my last TJ was a 2000 Sahara 3.5" lift and 33 tires 373 gears avg. mileage was around 8 mpg.

Comment

In my experience, in that price range, you should look for 2002-2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ. If you find something newer and it blows your skirt up, go for it. I've owned many Jeeps and by far, if I was going to use one for a daily driver, I would buy one with coil springs. That being said, 1997-current year models. The 4.0L straight six is a good engine and will last a long time if it's taken care of. Stay away from 2007-2011 Jeep JK's. Very underpowered engines and quite a few main bearing issues. Look for rust in frame rails, since that can be a big issue. If you leave it stock, you can have decent fuel economy (~15mpg), lift kit and bigger tires, you'll want to change the gear ratio to match. Good luck with the search and enjoy riding with the top off.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyartificial View Post
        In my experience, in that price range, you should look for 2002-2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ. If you find something newer and it blows your skirt up, go for it. I've owned many Jeeps and by far, if I was going to use one for a daily driver, I would buy one with coil springs. That being said, 1997-current year models. The 4.0L straight six is a good engine and will last a long time if it's taken care of. Stay away from 2007-2011 Jeep JK's. Very underpowered engines and quite a few main bearing issues. Look for rust in frame rails, since that can be a big issue. If you leave it stock, you can have decent fuel economy (~15mpg), lift kit and bigger tires, you'll want to change the gear ratio to match. Good luck with the search and enjoy riding with the top off.
        what he said.. they changed over to the new 3.6 motor in late 12. just stay away from 3.8

Comment

I agree TJ jeeps are probably the best. I currently have a 2010 JK 2 door. I have had no trouble and feel it has plenty of power, however the 3.21 gears with 35 inch tires are lacking. I can still run 70mph though and get an average of 15.5 mpg. I do like how the JK is bigger inside than the TJ. My favorite jeep I ever had was a 99 TJ

Comment

Thanks everyone. How to check for rust in the frame rails? can it easily be seen or is there something special to look for?

Comment

Also... How bad is a soft top at speed?

Comment

you should be able to easily see if there is an issue. just make a point to look at the frame.

what happens is people take them in the mud or to the beach, get wet mud/sand packed in the rails and don't wash it out. overtime can accelerate rust.

if I remember right, I think some tj's had capped frame rails. still got gunk in there and was difficult to clean out. JK rails have a bunch of holes in them, makes them easy to clean out.

I've had a couple early 3.8 jk's. both with 35's. one 08, 3.21 other 09, 3.73 gears both 6 speeds. they can get the job done, however newer 3.6 motor is a massive difference. we currently have a 17. the new JL 8 speed is another massive jump up in drivability. but start 30k new

also have a 97 tj. tj compared to jk feels tiny inside. but still fun to drive!

you'll need to adjust the budget but if you can stretch it to 17k ish you can find a 13 lower mileage and you'll be much happier with it than say a 07-12 for 15k.

10-14k will get you a 4.0 TJ.

ballpark prices, but just to get you started.

soft top is all about preference, I prefer soft top. I travel top down everywhere I can, sure is nice to have all pieces there if a storm rolls up or some other reason I want to be closed up. plus I don't have to store a big top someplace. yes it's louder, but so are mud tires, wind noise etc.. to me it's all part of the experience.

on the flip side, hard tops can get hot in the back, no ac vents back there. all ac comes from the dash or under front seats.

our (wife's)17 is hardtop, but it's white. no heat issue and it stays outside all day.

my last jeep was 4dr half doors. now that is loud!
                Last edited by Rescue1; 08-30-2018, 07:06 AM. Reason: answer soft top ?

Comment

JEEP died in 1986!!

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
                    JEEP died in 1986!!

RIP
                    Not exactly, but hey that is your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
                      Not exactly, but hey that is your opinion

They are the Chrysler version of a jeep same name different everything.

Comment

They are the Chrysler version of a jeep same name different everything.
                        huh?

you mean AMC jeep? well AMC is just a version of Kaiser, Kaiser is just a different version of willey's overland. each new version was different from the last. each version gets bigger, heavier and more road worthy. those original military jeeps are almost powerwheels size.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue1 View Post
                          huh?

you mean AMC jeep? well AMC is just a version of Kaiser, Kaiser is just a different version of willey's overland. each new version was different from the last. each version gets bigger, heavier and more road worthy. those original military jeeps are almost powerwheels size.

You speak the truth there were different versions, but nothing like what happened in 1987 on! Just my preference I like the Pre 87 jeeps never told anyone to not buy a chrysler jeep all i said what RIP Jeep 1986.

Have fun.

Comment

Comment

but nothing like what happened in 1987
                              just say no to square headlights!

Comment

Working...
                              X