Thermacell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
    This is the reason I decided to buy one.

I would quit hunting if I had to hunt in that!!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have two. They work great, especially in a popup blind. I use mosquito netting over my head when I hunt a tree stand.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
        Has anyone else had any experience with the deer smelling/spooking because of the Thermacell? Its the only reason I haven't taken mine to the blind. Like said above, I work too hard to be scent free, I am skeptical about putting a different scent out there... If the deer don't smell it, or if they are indifferent to it, I'll gladly take it.
        I've had deer within 10 yards and my Thermacell was rolling. The deer are not worried about it.

Comment

I cant believe there is people out there without one still. I was skeptical on it at first but skeeters on a rice field teal was enough to try. That was easily 12 years ago and I have one for each pack now.

For the frugal hunter theres videos on youtube that shows how to refill the butane bottles

Comment

Never had deer or hogs spook from the smell. I have had deer do the old lift head/nose and sniff, but it didn't seem to bother them. If a hog spooks, I just know that it's still ME he smells and not the Thermacell that spooked him... I gave up trying to fool a hog's nose a long time ago...

One CAUTION: I advise against putting a thermacell inside an enclosed blind like a pop up... those fumes will do a number on you... What I do when deer hunting is set the thermacell just outside the blind on the upwind side so the vapors can sort of cover the blind and I put an Ozonics inside blowing down across the open window that I intend to shoot from... This combo seems to work best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              I cant believe there is people out there without one still. I was skeptical on it at first but skeeters on a rice field teal was enough to try. That was easily 12 years ago and I have one for each pack now.

For the frugal hunter theres videos on youtube that shows how to refill the butane bottles
              Yea and you can buy the pads only and buy the butane canisters in the hair products section at Wally World for about half the cost of the Thermacell ones... Some even re-treat the pads... I don't go that far... I ain't THAT cheap...yet!

Comment

Have 3,do not hunt without it early season. As said there is a video on how to pull the check valve out of the canister to refill.
                Also refill the pads with a 6 to 1 ratio of water to permethrin. That's 6 drops of water to 1 drop of permethrin. I use an eye dropper bottle to refill.

Comment

SaltwaterSlick is so right about buying the butane cannisters at Walmart in the ladies hair care section. Same cannister used to power some curling irons women use on their hair. Way, way cheaper than the Thermacell branded cannisters. I first got a thermacell for hunting spring bear in Canada where mosquitoes are the national bird. I used to wear these stupid bug suits that I hated and tape up my gloves to my wrists and tape my pants around my boots. Now all I do is fire up the Thermacell, put on a head net and walk to the stand. Set it under my feet and after about 15 minutes I can even take the head net off. Does not seem to me to bother the critters at all. As for working in the wind, I can't say for sure because if it is windy enough, you generally don't have mosquitos to contend with anyway.

Comment

Can't say enough good about them.

Comment

i've had mine since they first came out
                      the wind has to be blowing pretty good for it not to work
                      i put mine directly under where i'm sitting
                      if you don't want to spend the money
                      the original old PIC mosquito coils work just as well
                      growing up we always had them in both cars for the drive-in movie
                      or when we went to Colt stadium for the Colt 45 games - before the Dome/Astros
                      Attached Files

Comment

they do and pretty darn well,, they are less effective when the wind is blowing I just learned to set mine a few feet upwind in that case

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
                          Has anyone else had any experience with the deer smelling/spooking because of the Thermacell? Its the only reason I haven't taken mine to the blind. Like said above, I work too hard to be scent free, I am skeptical about putting a different scent out there... If the deer don't smell it, or if they are indifferent to it, I'll gladly take it.
                          This is where you are wrong. If they can smell the thermacell, they can smell you. You can never be "scent free"!!!
                          I have actually used mine as a cover scent. Hogs and deer never knew I was there.

Comment

Money well spent!

Comment

They work well; don't seem to spook game .

Do agree about fumes in a pop-up. Like Saltwater's idea of placing just outside and upwind for the wash-over effect.

Comment

Put it this way. I had my thermacell last night and my BIL shut a buck right at dark. Somehow I lost it during bloodtrailing and skinning. By 9 am this morning I had replaced both the thermacell and the holster from academy. Until the first cold fronts come through, I won’t hunt without it.
                                We were hunting in North Carolina last night and the amount of skeeters from the rain and flooding is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X