No announcement yet.

Out of District Enrollment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am really surprised they don't allow transfers around our area i don't know of any school that doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
      I am really surprised they don't allow transfers around our area i don't know of any school that doesn't.
      They told me that LISD was a closed district and does not allow out of district enrollment. I'm hoping I found a loophole but I guess I'll have to wait and see. Since districts get paid by the # of butts in the seats, I don't understand why they won't allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        They told me that LISD was a closed district and does not allow out of district enrollment. I'm hoping I found a loophole but I guess I'll have to wait and see. Since districts get paid by the # of butts in the seats, I don't understand why they won't allow it.
        Ya staying closed is becoming a thing of the past, but they might be a growing district and have a hard time keeping up with rooms and teachers. If they are fast growth I could understand. Our district is very small and we have about 60 transfers out of 500. I know of a district down the road that has about the same student pop and they have about 250 transfers.

Just depends on where you are.

Comment

Ya staying closed is becoming a thing of the past, but they might be a growing district and have a hard time keeping up with rooms and teachers. If they are fast growth I could understand. Our district is very small and we have about 60 transfers out of 500. I know of a district down the road that has about the same student pop and they have about 250 transfers.

I don't believe rapid growth is an issue in Livingston Schools. If anything, the growth has been really slow. The mentality of the town has been to stunt any growth for many years. They have stayed relatively the same size 4A school for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
            I don't believe rapid growth is an issue in Livingston Schools. If anything, the growth has been really slow. The mentality of the town has been to stunt any growth for many years. They have stayed relatively the same size 4A school for quite a while.

They have been 4a since I was in high school over 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not sure of your schools ranking but under certain conditions if it is below a certain level you can move the student.

IMO transfers isn’t necessarily always a good thing. I am not sure of y

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                I am not sure of your schools ranking but under certain conditions if it is below a certain level you can move the student.

IMO transfers isn’t necessarily always a good thing. I am not sure of y
                Local transfer policies have nothing to do with what your are talking about.

What you are referring to is the PEG schools. If your school is on the PEG list parents can ask to transfer to another school or district that is a non PEG school. There are lots of rules and regulations involved but in short that is what that is about. I don't see that happening very much just becuase it still is a major inconvenience for the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                  They have been 4a since I was in high school over 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Oh ya well just depends on the school board. I have been president of a school board before and sometimes they see things differently.

There is a school district i was reading about the other day I think it was Olfen and they only have I want to say less than 5 students that actually live in their district boundaries. Of course the whole district is like 250 but they wouldn't exist without allowing transfers.

Comment

UPDATE: Dr. Hawkins (LISD Superintendent) called me this morning after I sent him an email on Friday afternoon. He was extremely helpful and confirmed that yes, our kids can enroll under the "Grandparent Rule" and that we would qualify. He is sending over the paperwork that has to be filled out by us and my parents. He said we can enroll them in the morning if we like. The only piece of bad news in this is that this rule is only good until after the 8th grade. My daughter is entering the 7th and my son is entering the 6th. He encouraged my wife, who is a school teacher, to send him a resume and apply for a position there to allow them to attend beyond the limits of the clause. She had already been considering this so we think this is what she is going to do.

Comment

Good deal, glad it is working out.

Comment

Working...
                      X