food stamps for cows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    They may not be the main source of income for a lot of people but if done right can be a very good supplemental income. Not to mention keep property taxes affordable and not through the dang roof. Be dammed if I sell my cattle only to have my property taxes go up higher than what I gave all my cows away for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We raise cattle too, have all my life. What I am saying is that guys that do it on the side shouldnt be going to the govt with their hand out because they cant afford hay this year. Not the same as a full time farmer getting drought insurance because his crop failed. People tend to forget the hard times all too quickly with a few years of good rain, 2011 wasnt that long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by barnett77859 View Post
      has anyone checked into the drought program for cows
      Call your local FSA, and ask about the Livestock Forage Disaster Program. It is an insurance, but think you are too late in the game now.

Kind of like being in a car wreck and calling your agent to increase to full coverage from the scene..
      Last edited by BrianL; 08-22-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
        That is easier said than done. Couple years on hay outside is questionable hay. Figure 4-6 round bales per cow, and you would need a BIG BIG haybarn to do what you are saying, but it is a good plan if you have the facilities to pull it off.
        I understand, and I am sympathetic to the situation...especially during the drought years. But it's a business, just like any other. No one is owed a handout because it's been a bad year....

Comment

They have also allowed CRP grazing and extended it thru October in many counties. We dug a well and moved ours to our CRP a couple months back.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            I understand, and I am sympathetic to the situation...especially during the drought years. But it's a business, just like any other. No one is owed a handout because it's been a bad year....
            This, exactly. Life is tough for most all of us at some point, just because life goes into the crapper, doesn't mean someone should help you out. You're owed exactly nothing, from the time your born until the time you die. Get knocked down, it's on you to get back up, you should never expect someone else to help you back up. Some people spend their entire life in the crapper. Billions of em, just hoping they might get to eat today, or don't get shot today. We're worried the A/C might get shut off, or we we might not be able to pay the cell phone bill, etc.. MERICA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              If you pay the insurance premium it's not a handout. Just like if you file a claim on a car wreck, hail storm, house flood..... It is insurance people. Ranchers all over the country buy it first of the year, and if you draw short straw on rain then you are the one to file. Just like other insurance you hope you aren't the one filing.

Comment

Sold some last week and if it doesn't rain in a few weeks going to be selling some more soon. Feed prices are high and cattle prices are down some and will continue to go down when the market keeps getting flooded. Going to be tough unless we get some much needed rain soon. 13 inches of rain so far this year. Pray for rain.

Comment

Insurance and welfare are two different things. At least they should be. If it comes from the Government, its welfare

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                    A lot of compassion on TBH for those of us that raise cattle... SMH
                    I have to sell some more on Friday, not looking forward to the loss.
                    About the same amount of compassion as for oilfield workers.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      Insurance and welfare are two different things. At least they should be. If it comes from the Government, its welfare
                      Feel the same way about home loans? FHA, Fannie and Freddie Mac, VA?

Social Security and Medicare?

Comment

You seen cattle prices? The man would be giving them away... calves are bringing more than cows and with most of us having cows calving in the fall/winter to sell spring/early summer, selling (giving away) cattle may not be an option. Saying you should sell cattle if you can’t afford to feed during a drought to a rancher is like saying you should sell your land if you can’t afford to irrigate during a drought to a farmer.

It's the game you play in the cattle business. No one said it's fair.

Comment

search your county records - you can see who gets the big payouts.

some go back twenty years on the teat.

there really should be more oversight and controls.....this nonsense of the 'farmer' and his wife (separately) getting big checks needs to be pulled way back.

Comment

You seen cattle prices? The man would be giving them away... calves are bringing more than cows and with most of us having cows calving in the fall/winter to sell spring/early summer, selling (giving away) cattle may not be an option. Saying you should sell cattle if you can’t afford to feed during a drought to a rancher is like saying you should sell your land if you can’t afford to irrigate during a drought to a farmer.

So I buy in to the stock market and it tanks a year later...should I get subsidized for my losses to get me out of the hole? No...there is a risk you take, sometime you win and sometimes you lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              search your county records - you can see who gets the big payouts.

some go back twenty years on the teat.

there really should be more oversight and controls.....this nonsense of the 'farmer' and his wife (separately) getting big checks needs to be pulled way back.

Sometimes it’s the farmer, his wife and whole Sunday school class![emoji15]

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                                So I buy in to the stock market and it tanks a year later...should I get subsidized for my losses to get me out of the hole? No...there is a risk you take, sometime you win and sometimes you lose.

Lol. Not even the same comparison.... but ok..

Comment

Working...
                                X