Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting E Texas National Forest question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting E Texas National Forest question.

What is the point of this rule?:

"All those camping or hunting in the Angelina, Davy Crockett, Sabine or Sam Houston National Forest or the Caddo National Grasslands must camp in designated campsites or developed recreation areas during general gun season."

What are they hoping to accomplish by not allowing back country camping and as I read it archery season should be GTG for back country camping? Or at least they only mention general rifle season.

I think it's more about safety for everyone during gun season.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
      What is the point of this rule?:

"All those camping or hunting in the Angelina, Davy Crockett, Sabine or Sam Houston National Forest or the Caddo National Grasslands must camp in designated campsites or developed recreation areas during general gun season."

What are they hoping to accomplish by not allowing back country camping and as I read it archery season should be GTG for back country camping? Or at least they only mention general rifle season.

Safety.

Comment

Probably for safety like Puggy said. And read it again, the way i understand it's no dispersed camping the day before the archery opener through the day after the general deer season. I pulled my info from the 2017-2018 Public hunting lands booklet, you might have something more up to date?

Comment

Originally posted by SamSowell View Post
          Probably for safety like Puggy said. And read it again, the way i understand it's no dispersed camping the day before the archery opener through the day after the general deer season. I pulled my info from the 2017-2018 Public hunting lands booklet, you might have something more up to date?
          Hmmm. I just started looking into this today. I was in a conversation last night about hunting out there and this came up and it surprised me a bit.

I figured it was a safety thing but it still doesn't make much sense to me. If I am not hunting I can still pack in and camp anywhere during the season. Forests out west don't operate that way. Maybe it is just cause everyone in East Texas is a little crazy!

Comment

If you have come across some of the nuts hunting on public land you would know why.

Comment

Hmmm. I just started looking into this today. I was in a conversation last night about hunting out there and this came up and it surprised me a bit.

I figured it was a safety thing but it still doesn't make much sense to me. If I am not hunting I can still pack in and camp anywhere during the season. Forests out west don't operate that way. Maybe it is just cause everyone in East Texas is a little crazy!
              The guys hunting out West have more time and money invested and I would venture to guess more experience. Natl. Forest in East Texas are so close to Houston/Dallas that you get a lot of people who decide on Friday they are going to hunt so they stop at Walmart buy a permit, license and head to the woods.

I do agree the fact that they allow people who aren't hunting to camp it defeats the purpose. Same as how they don't require orange for non-hunters either. This is the Government we are talking about, don't expect it to make sense!

Comment

Might also keep some goober from setting up camp on a ridgeline or creek you were planning to hunt.

Comment

Even if you are not hunting you must camp in the designated campsites.

I often hike the lone star trail, and during hunting season, even the hikers are required to camp only in designated areas. (I even wear orange and drap my pack with an orange construction penny).

Sam Houston National Forest wont let you camp during hunting season even in the areas that hunting is not aloud.

Makes sense to me, so I don't complain. Lots of idiots out there. Plus there are some designated camping areas that still remote.

Comment

It's definitely safety, it gets thick in SHNF. Also, you can hike pretty much anywhere you need to be within SHNF in 30 minutes from the trail head or a public road. So I think they just assume you will camp somewhere relatively close and drive to where you plan to walk in.

I hunt SHNF a lot, trust me it's definitely safety. I have caught guys using their scope as binos to look at other hunters.

Comment

It also says you cant hunt within so many yards of the Lone star, but youd be surprised how many rifle carrying people you see stalking around. (ummmm im not hunting, just using the trail to get to point B. haha) Nice trail or bushwack, I understand why the lazys do it.

Last year I saw 8-10 hunters within a 3 mile stretch. It was late season too.

Comment

Y'all are dashing my dreams here. I've got some ACL issues and a couple fractures in my knee that are gonna keep me out of the mountains this season (surgery soon). I thought I cold make up for it by getting in a back country NF hunt here in Texas. Little did I know!! Uhg. Might have to go to plan C.

Comment

I think it is size. I hunt a lot in SW Montana and the two big forests that back up to each other are Beaverhead-Deerlodge and Gallatin NF. The first is 3.36 Million Acres the latter is 1.8 million acres. ALL the NF in Texas added together is around 600 thousand acres.

Comment

Y'all are dashing my dreams here. I've got some ACL issues and a couple fractures in my knee that are gonna keep me out of the mountains this season (surgery soon). I thought I cold make up for it by getting in a back country NF hunt here in Texas. Little did I know!! Uhg. Might have to go to plan C.

How did you hurt yourself? I want to avoid!

I hope you heal well and get back in the mountains soon.

Comment

Just thinking their point is to ensure those with firearms are out of the forest with the firearm.

Less chance of an incident of them shooting something or someone at night.

Comment

Working...
                              X