Winds in Ozona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winds in Ozona

I just join a lease in Ozona this year. I have only been out here a few times, but is it always windy out here. I swear the wind is a steady 25 with gust of 30-35 right now. Every time I've been here the wind is howling.

Also what are the predominant during hunting season.?

Great to hear you landed a new lease!

Comment

Southwest wind.

Comment

Southwest for us during season....hate it...

Comment

Seems the same in goliad county
          Never bothers the deer, but for camping it causes some challenges.

Have fun at the new lease.
          Pray for a wet summer. Makes for fat deer and bigger antlers.

Comment

You will encounter 50+ mph winds several times a year. Extreme heat and cold, and I do mean extreme.
            That is my experience in 5+ years hunting south of ozona.
            Predominant S-SW wind with some serious fronts coming from N-NE. Sometimes almost back to back.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
              You will encounter 50+ mph winds several times a year. Extreme heat and cold, and I do mean extreme.
              That is my experience in 5+ years hunting south of ozona.
              Predominant S-SW wind with some serious fronts coming from N-NE. Sometimes almost back to back.
              Well doesn't that sound fun. I guess I shouldn't be complaining about the 25 mph winds

Comment

The wind is not always bad. It has been bad in all of West Texas this year.

Wind is usually out of the south. Cold fronts blow in out of the north but the wind usually switches in 24-48 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you bowhunt you will appreciate hunting in an area with constant wind. The deer are used to it and it covers a lot of our movement and sound. Now when it dies down those deer will be on pins and needles because they can hear all kinds of stuff they normally dont. Good luck on your new place.

Comment

Anything you put up better be anchored or the wind will take it down sooner or later.
                    If you have deep canyons a 40 plus mile an hour north wind when it's cold will pile the deer into the East /West deep canyons.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                      Well doesn't that sound fun. I guess I shouldn't be complaining about the 25 mph winds
                      It is a great area, just anchor everything well. There are times you will wish for some wind...and shade.

Comment

Yep, you can count on wind for about 9-10 months out of the year, the only time it don’t blow is when it’s to hot to breathe and you wish you could get just a little breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          If you bowhunt you will appreciate hunting in an area with constant wind. The deer are used to it and it covers a lot of our movement and sound. Now when it dies down those deer will be on pins and needles because they can hear all kinds of stuff they normally dont. Good luck on your new place.
                          X2. Up hear if it's calm you can hear a fart 800 yards out.
                          Hope ya have a great year!

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            I agree with this 100%! You will learn to like the wind. The deer are very spooky on calm days.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                              Yep, you can count on wind for about 9-10 months out of the year, the only time it don’t blow is when it’s to hot to breathe and you wish you could get just a little breeze.

Absolutely!!!!!! Mid August you will pray for wind.

Comment

Working...
                              X