My AC/heating unit is making a gurgling sound down a pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My AC/heating unit is making a gurgling sound down a pipe

What could this be? Do I need to worry about it tonight? Do I need to call someone out tomorrow? Thanks guys as always much appreciated.

Clogged drain pan maybe

Comment

Run a clothes hanger down the drain pipe or force air down it. Might. Heck pipe outside The house as well to see if it's wet where it should be

Comment

It also will not turn off now that I have turned it off- connected?

Comment

Gurgling sound could happen if the P trap at the unit dried out. Look into the clean out or vent in the drain. If it is dry, pour a bottle of water in to fill the trap.

Your fan switch on the thermostat isn’t set to on is it?

Comment

We rented a house in Nacogdoches back in 2010, and within a few minutes after the A/C kicked on, we would get this gurgling out of the washer drain pipe. I did a little investigating and found the A/C condensate drained into the washer pipe. OK, no problem there. The problem I found was there was no P-Trap plumbed into the condensate drain pipe. Called the landlord and the HVAC guy came out. I told him there was no P-Trap and he looked at me like I had something growing out of my forehead. "I'm sure it has one, it's code." Well, no. It doesn't have one and thatr's why I'm getting this loud gurgling sound.

Low and behold, there was none. He installed one and to our expectation, the noise stopped.

Sorry for the diatribe, but this might be your issue, possibly, maybe? Hope you get it figured out.

I don't think it will work and the contractor is adamant that he has done this for years and I am the first inspector to reject it. Does anyone think that this will work?

Comment

Working...
            X