TBH Braintrust....Wifi extenders.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife likes to chill out in bed at night in the master bedroom and read or watch her Netflix or Amazon shows on her Ipad or Kindle. Wifi is usually pretty good but can become spotty and drag at times back there because I am assuming it is the farthest room from the router. Tonight has been worse than most per her. Wifi in the living room and the rest of the house is solid that I can tell. Looking for a respectively economical way to boost the wifi back there for her to stream her videos and shows. I did some quick research on extenders and i was looking at the one below. Can somebody with experience confirm this is what I need and then recommend a couple of good units to look at. Thanks fellas

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC750...C9%2C80%7C1%7C

I have that one but it didn't seem to help much. Try using her connection on the 2.4 GHz portion and the others on the 5 GHz. That worked better for me.

Comment

Jason I went the Apple route. At the time, according to the best buy guru it was the best they offered. I bought the Apple Airport which is in my office hooked to my router then I added the apple express devices upstairs and near the back of the house. We can all watch netflix on different televisions in different rooms. I do have the xfinity Blast as my internet.

The only issue is I cannot get a great signal out in the garage which is detached. I think if I was able to move the router and base station i could cover more ground but all wires come into my office.

Comment

Wifi schmifi...if your not doing it right in the master bedroom I guess they need WiFi booster![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
          I have that one but it didn't seem to help much. Try using her connection on the 2.4 GHz portion and the others on the 5 GHz. That worked better for me.
          I tried this but neither her phone, Ipad nor her Kindle will recognized 5 GHZ....but my 7 plus will. I guess I need to switch to the 5GHz

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
          Jason I went the Apple route. At the time, according to the best buy guru it was the best they offered. I bought the Apple Airport which is in my office hooked to my router then I added the apple express devices upstairs and near the back of the house. We can all watch netflix on different televisions in different rooms. I do have the xfinity Blast as my internet.

The only issue is I cannot get a great signal out in the garage which is detached. I think if I was able to move the router and base station i could cover more ground but all wires come into my office.
          Appreciate the info.

Comment

You don't want an extender. They take a weak signal, try and pump it back up, then send it out again. The cheaper ones try and do all that through the same antenna.

Look into wifi access points. You hard wire it to your router, run the wire where you need wifi, then they pump out fresh clean signal. You can even set it up with all the and name, password, and info of other wifi and it should do a handoff and never lose connecting.

Im liking the unifi stuff a lot. They even take power over the ethernet cable so you don't have to worry about a plug.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

From what i understand, the 5ghz is a faster signal but not as robust at distance, through walls etc so for distance, use the 2.4 GHz. If that isn’t stable, the 5 probably won’t connect. I’ve thought about going with a mesh system but they’re expensive. In for other suggestions as i have a similar issue.
              Last edited by Lip; 12-23-2017, 10:19 PM.

Comment

We had wifi extenders in our house and if you were in the game room upstairs the signal was horrible. We couldn't use Netflix up there. Went through two different wifi routers and about 4 extenders and nothing worked.

Then we got Google wifi. It's a mesh system. Has three wifi points set up through our home. WiFi speed went from less than 30mbs downstairs to over 115mbs throughout the house. Easy to set up and so much better than anything else we've used.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

X2 on access points. We use them at work to boost the signal around the warehouses for our WMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is an option that popped up this am

Comment

I have that extender in my house and works very well. I could not get signal in the master bedroom and then added the extender in the living room and now have signal fine. The only problem it has given me is when I am at my neighbors house my phone seems to fight with mine and his WiFi or something. Can’t seem to load anything unless I am inside there

Comment

This is what my ATT installer recommended if we had problems at my house. I don’t know the first thing about it.

Comment

These are the best on the market imo. Little pricey but they've been bulletproof.

Comment

Had the same issues as you spotty internet in different areas of the house. No WiFi in the garage or yard. I spent some money on my new router and now have WiFi within half an acre of the house no joke. Tried updating old router and tried extenders. They didn’t compare to this router.

Comment

I just returned the AC1750 because it wasn’t any better than my AT&T wireless router. Guess i should have tried one size larger. [emoji846]

Comment

Working...
                              X