Making my own back quiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making my own back quiver

I am loving this trad thing, but practice is not fun when you don't have a quiver. The endless bending over and standing up had to end, so I decided to just make a quiver. I have a little bit of leather, but it's mostly stiff stiff. However, I realized that I had a deer hide that's been sitting on a shelf for almost three years from the first buck I ever shot. I figured, why not give that a shot?

Materials:

1-soft tanned hide

20' of suede cord (bought the cheap stuff at Walmart)

22"x 1/8" dowel

I got the holes punched to sew the hide together, ran the cord through loosely, then inserted the dowel. The dowel has enough flex to bend with my back a little but still enough rigidity to keep the shape of the quiver without an arrow in it.

I didn't get to sew the bottom up or attach the belt, but should finish that sometime this week or so.

Looking good! I made one out of a bobcat pelt that I skinned & tanned myself several years ago. I ended up selling my recurve so the quiver is now hanging upstairs and is more of a conversation piece.

Comment

Looks good so far. Don't forget to post some pic once you've got 'er finished. I've been thinking of making one myself. I have all of the material, just haven't had the time.

Comment

Now that is cool!

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Awesome. I build one out of an otter pelt. I put the arrows in his mouth.

Comment

What dimensions is the hide? I like this idea, I have an old Axis hide I would like to do this with.

Comment

Great work! I am considering making a back quiver out of an Axis hide that I got last year while rifle hunting with my son (it was too far of a shot for him to take, and he wanted that thing on the ground so I obliged.)

Looking forward to your results.

Comment

I have made a half dozen of them, well done.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                    What dimensions is the hide? I like this idea, I have an old Axis hide I would like to do this with.
                    The hide flattened out is 17" wide with a "squared off" height of 22". I left all excess above 22" on the head side to fold over and expose the fur. Not really a reason for that other than liking the way it looks. The bottom of the quiver is the tail side. I punched 2 rows of holes spaced 1/2" apart and offset those rows so that it would give the spiral look that you see. After punching either side of the hide, I wrapped the ends around and overlapped the prettier side so that it looked nice and straight. I am going to use scissors to trim up the bottom side so that it is a nice squared off look. I am not going to have an oval piece on the bottom like a hill quiver, I am just going to lace it shut. I'm gonna take a belt I have laying around and cut about 6-8" from the buckle end. Then I'm gonna lace the buckle end of the belt to the bottom of the quiver and the other end to the top. I'm also going to cut a slit in the hide on top for the belt to pass through so that the laced up part of the top belt is covered by the fur. This stuff is very easy to punch, so it should not take long at all.

Comment

I really hope I explained that well

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                        I have made a half dozen of them, well done.
                        Thank you! Means a lot coming from one of the pros

Comment

nice work, a goal of mine one day is to sling an arrow at an coyote and make a quiver out of his fur one day

Comment

Nice work! Made mine out of cowhide from Tandy.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X