No announcement yet.

Changing Engine Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always changed my own oil, dad was a diesel mechanic so it was not acceptable to have someone change your oil regardless of cost. Always said no one will ever do a better job on your own vehicle then you will. Now I manage a fleet of over 150 vehicles mostly diesel. So my personal diesel I use factory Motorcraft filter and Travelers 15/40 in the 5 gallon bucket. After many years of personal experience managing fleets as long as the oil was changed within reasonable intervals it didn’t seem to make a difference on synthetic or not. We ran and still run vehicles up to 350,000 miles. But if you hate it don’t do it, I enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you guys that change your own, also do your own tire rotations? I used to do my own oil as well but have found it much easier to just change the oil and rotate the tires at the same time by the same people. That schedule has made my tire life much better too! No more getting too busy to go get my tires rotated. Its done around every 5k with the oil change.

Comment

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Comment

Heck no, I can’t hardly buy the crap for what I can get it done for. Plus I don’t want to waste the time on it.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
            I know some guys brag about being able to change their oil in like 5 minutes, but I was never able to do it faster than about half an hour. That included fetching the tools and clean-up.
            My 16 Powerstroke. Easiest truck I have ever changed oil on.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	4ABEA92C-F550-476A-B315-06DDBB227430.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	24542478

Comment

Where is everyone buying there oil? Online, store?
              Mobile one is like $9 a quart. I use it in my s10 and wanted to start using it in my Silverado.
              But it would cost more to do it myself than what the Chevy dealer can do it for.

If there’s a better place to buy I would like to know.

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post
                Do you guys that change your own, also do your own tire rotations? I used to do my own oil as well but have found it much easier to just change the oil and rotate the tires at the same time by the same people. That schedule has made my tire life much better too! No more getting too busy to go get my tires rotated. Its done around every 5k with the oil change.
                No. Tire rotations are way too much trouble for me. I change my oil way more often than I do rotations. I change my oil on schedule, but pretty neglegent on tire rotations

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                  Mobile one is like $9 a quart. I use it in my s10 and wanted to start using it in my Silverado.
                  But it would cost more to do it myself than what the Chevy dealer can do it for.

Sam’s has it for around 6 bucks a quart.

Comment

If anyone is interested I have a few prepaid oil analysis kits that I no longer need. I can make a deal. PM me if interested.

Comment

I decided to change my oil a few months ago after always having it done. I think it cost me a few dollars more than the place I usually take it charges me, plus they wash it. I always do fuel filters, air filters, brake pads, etc myself because of the markup but oil changes are just too convenient and cheap.

Comment

How many of these shops actually use a good full synthetic like Mobil 1 and a decent filter?

Comment

Comment

Walmart. 23 bucks for a 5 quart full synthetic

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hittman View Post
                              I know.... 8 qts of oil adds up I suppose

2015 Tahoe. 5.3 ltr. $55 includes oil change, tire rotation, and a car wash at the dealer I got it from. Don Hewlet.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                2015 Tahoe. 5.3 ltr. $55 includes oil change, tire rotation, and a car wash at the dealer I got it from. Don Hewlet.
                                Full synthetic?

Comment

Working...
                                X