Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default Plug,twist and leaf tobacco.

How many of y'all chew tobacco? I know it's more common to dip snuff but I really like chew like Red Man or Levi Garrett. The other day I bought some Levi Garrett Plug which I liked but it's more expensive than a pouch of the leaf tobacco so I'll probably stick to that from now on. I've tried Day O Work before and it's not too bad but I liked the Levi Garrett Plug tobacco better. I like old stuff and the nostalgia of plug chew so I got to looking at the different kinds. I've heard Bull of the Woods, Peachy and Tennessee Twist are a really good chew but I don't know.

What's the best y'all ever tried? Even something that is harder to find or you just can't find at all anymore.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
TKC
Eight Point

Hunt In: Parker County

Redman Gold for me. Used to chew Levi but too many stems in it now for me.
TKC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
That is a good chew. I mostly get the original because it's easier to find around here but I like them all. It's pretty hard to beat Red Man.

I really,really like Beech Nut too though.

Last edited by okrattler; 05-26-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post

Same...chewed Levi for 5-6 years and then Redman Golden blend the next 16-17 years. Loved RMGB.

Only chewed it when I fished and hunted (grandfather did the same)but I was fishing and hunting all the time...or so my wife said so ti was a pretty expensive part time habit. Never craved it during the day or around the house. Probably why it was so easy for me to quit. I still miss it when I smell a 2cycle outboard start up or burnt gunpowder but it fades quickly.....the cost these days helps it stay outta my life as well...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
okrattler
Pope & Young

It is pretty expensive. Depending on what you get I guess. Starr chewing tobacco is pretty cheap. But it's also not as good I don't think. The Levi Garrett Plug I got was like $8. A pouch of Red Man is like $6 and some cents so that kind of surprised me.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
etbowhunter
Nubbin' Buck

The plug won’t have as many stems as loose leaf Levi so I convinced myself I’m paying extra for quality. If the store doesn’t have plug, I buy RMGB. Just too much trash in loose leaf Levi anymore.
etbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
It is pretty expensive. Depending on what you get I guess. Starr chewing tobacco is pretty cheap. But it's also not as good I don't think. The Levi Garrett Plug I got was like $8. A pouch of Red Man is like $6 and some cents so that kind of surprised me.
Where are you getting red man for $6? Or is it that much cheaper than Levi Garrett? Cuz Levi is around $10 a pouch.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

I really prefer the flavor of chew over snuff. Anyone know is there is a snuff that tastes more like chew?
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
gumbl3
Ten Point

Hunt In: muenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Where are you getting red man for $6? Or is it that much cheaper than Levi Garrett? Cuz Levi is around $10 a pouch.
The Indians
gumbl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

When I did smoke and chew, Picnic twist was the way to go.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

I dont chew or dip anymore but for 25 years or so if i was awake and not eating and i had some in. Towards the end i was ordering chew in bulk bags from a place called fred stokers in tennesse i think. Came in 5 lb bags i kept in the freezer. Just pull out what you needed for the day and put it in a ziploc. They had different flavors and it was the absolute best you ever had!!! Im not sure they are still in business or do it that way but it would be worth a try! It was so dang good, my mouth is watering just thinking about that stuff. All i have to do is think about all the time, pain, and money i left at the dentist office and i remember why i quit. Lol
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #12
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
I really prefer the flavor of chew over snuff. Anyone know is there is a snuff that tastes more like chew?
Gold River if you can find it. It might be one of those you have to order but I don't know.

I didn't take into account how much more expensive tobacco is in Texas. It's not too bad in Oklahoma and really not bad at all in Kansas. There for a while I was buying Red Man original for a little over $4.00 last year. Someone must've figured out their prices were a lot lower there so now they're the same as everyone else.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
I dont chew or dip anymore but for 25 years or so if i was awake and not eating and i had some in. Towards the end i was ordering chew in bulk bags from a place called fred stokers in tennesse i think. Came in 5 lb bags i kept in the freezer. Just pull out what you needed for the day and put it in a ziploc. They had different flavors and it was the absolute best you ever had!!! Im not sure they are still in business or do it that way but it would be worth a try! It was so dang good, my mouth is watering just thinking about that stuff. All i have to do is think about all the time, pain, and money i left at the dentist office and i remember why i quit. Lol
They do still make it as far as I know. They have Black Wild Cherry,Apple Pie and Butternut and probably some others now. Maybe Peach too but I'm going by memory so I could be wrong. I've never tried them personally but I plan on it. I've heard it's really good.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #14
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
When I did smoke and chew, Picnic twist was the way to go.
I've never tried twist tobacco of any kind. Come to think of it I've never seen any in person. I've heard Kentucky Twist,King B and Mammoth Cave are really good ones too.

Last edited by okrattler; 05-26-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #15
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
They do still make it as far as I know. They have Black Wild Cherry,Apple Pie and Butternut and probably some others now. Maybe Peach too but I'm going by memory so I could be wrong. I've never tried them personally but I plan on it. I've heard it's really good.
I cant remember the name of the blend i liked but they were all good. I would order with some guys on my shift and we would split some flavors up to try. They even had a burbon flavored one that some of them really liked. Kind of crazy, butch of cops using burbon smelling chew lol.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #16
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
I cant remember the name of the blend i liked but they were all good. I would order with some guys on my shift and we would split some flavors up to try. They even had a burbon flavored one that some of them really liked. Kind of crazy, butch of cops using burbon smelling chew lol.
I remember Stokers had this stuff called Tennessee Chew and you could buy it in these huge bags like you're talking. I only had the Original but I'm pretty sure one they came out with was called Moonshine Blend and maybe a few others. The original wasn't bad and one of those bags lasted forever it seemed like.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #17
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I used to chew 3 packs a day. Bought it from Tennessee in 20 lb boxes the best ever . Can't afford a 30 dollar a day habit so I quit. But I miss it every time I'm awake
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #18
TKC
Eight Point

Hunt In: Parker County

I quit once for seven years. I was in a bad way one day and picked it back up and my goodness I can’t quit now at all. This golden blend has a hold on me. Very exspensive habit for sure.
TKC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #19
RamDrvr
Four Point

Hunt In: Polk

Northerner.com has it all pretty cheap
RamDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #20
doublearrow
Ten Point

During hunting season I usually buy a pouch or two of Levi. I've been planning my hunts this last week and I guess it got me in the mood lol, ended up with redman golden. Used to do either one but I don't think I'll buy anymore Levi.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #21
MetalMan2004
Six Point

I go through 2 packs every dove season and thats about it. Usually Red Man Gold, though every once in a while I’ll grab Beechnut. I usually add a little less than a 1/4 cup of gran marnier to the pouch d it tastes pretty amazing.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #22
Hooverfb
Eight Point

I usually had redman gold. Don't miss the empty space it left in my wallet when i was already fairly broke.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #23
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamDrvr View Post
Northerner.com has it all pretty cheap
Sweet I'll have to check that out.

It seems like Red Man Golden Blend is one of the most if not the most popular loose leaf chewing tobacco out there. It's got a distinct smell to it I do remember that. I'm gonna have to get me some. Might even get some Red Man Select. I haven't had that in probably 10 years.

When I was a kid I remember my Grandpa buying a whole box of Red Man Original. That guy used to love to chew. If it costs what it did then he probably still would.

Last edited by okrattler; 05-26-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #24
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Star chewing tobacco. They have peach flavor, try it.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #25
brokeno
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I use to chew a pack of Levi Garrett everyday til about 28 years ago. Now only 1 pack a year during hunting season. It taste just as good today as it was 28 years ago and it's just as bad for you today as it was 28 years ago
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #26
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn21 View Post
Star chewing tobacco. They have peach flavor, try it.
I've tried the Original and it's actually a lot cheaper than Red Man or Levi Garrett. I think I get it for somewhere around $5.00. I plan on getting some peach I bet it is good stuff.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #27
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
I use to chew a pack of Levi Garrett everyday til about 28 years ago. Now only 1 pack a year during hunting season. It taste just as good today as it was 28 years ago and it's just as bad for you today as it was 28 years ago
Yeah I suppose that's true. I had some blood drawn the other day and they were more worried about the Mountain Dew and Coke I drink than anything. I better chill out with that or I'm gonna be a diabetic. Anything I love ain't worth a crap for my health. That's what sucks.

I'm more addicted to that than chew by a long shot. Chewing is more of a habit for me than anything I feel like.

Last edited by okrattler; 05-26-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #28
MisterB
Six Point

This thread makes my mouth water. I love a good chew, but had to quit. Doc called it esophageal erosion and GERD. My wife hated my chewing. Said she couldn’t stand my spitting all the time so, I quit spitting. I just swallowed it. Did that for right at three years. No one ever knew I chewed because I kept such a small wad in my jaw and freshened often. I got mine from a place in Tennessee too. Wonderful stuff. Tried a chew a few times a while back but I got to hurting so bad I had to quit. Still love that taste. You reckon St. Peter sells chewing tobacco in heaven?
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #29
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
This thread makes my mouth water. I love a good chew, but had to quit. Doc called it esophageal erosion and GERD. My wife hated my chewing. Said she couldn’t stand my spitting all the time so, I quit spitting. I just swallowed it. Did that for right at three years. No one ever knew I chewed because I kept such a small wad in my jaw and freshened often. I got mine from a place in Tennessee too. Wonderful stuff. Tried a chew a few times a while back but I got to hurting so bad I had to quit. Still love that taste. You reckon St. Peter sells chewing tobacco in heaven?
I hope so. I love a good chew too man. Luckily I haven't experienced any negative effects of it. I really take care of my teeth and stuff because I think chew is a lot harder on them than snuff because of the added sugar and whatnot but I don't know that for a fact. I know it can be hard on a guys cheek over time too but that comes with the territory unfortunately.

I've been trying to think of the kind of chew my uncle used to put salt in and he said it created kind of a watermelon flavor. It was Beechnut but I don't think it was Original or the Wintergreen. I'm wanting to say it was like Mint or something kind of like that but I can't find anything on the internet where that ever existed. But I did see where Beechnut has a moonshine flavored chew that is probably their newest flavor.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #30
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Red man golden blend here .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #31
Passthrough
Pope & Young

That Starr brand is a decent “cheap” tobacco. Believe it’s abiut $7 for a two pack at the OK smoke shops. Find you some Cotton Boll Twist if you want to try something new. That was some stout tobacco. Seems like I remember Taylor’s Pride and Days Work being a couple others.
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #32
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
That Starr brand is a decent “cheap” tobacco. Believe it’s abiut $7 for a two pack at the OK smoke shops. Find you some Cotton Boll Twist if you want to try something new. That was some stout tobacco. Seems like I remember Taylor’s Pride and Days Work being a couple others.
I'm gonna be on the look out for some twist tobacco. I go into Kansas to get chew most of the time and it's even cheaper there for the most part. I can get Starr for somewhere around $5.00 in Kansas. Days Work and Levi Garrett Plug are a few dollars higher.

Lancaster and Taylor's Pride are a pretty good cheaper chew as well. Southern Pride,Trophy and J.D.'s Blend are in the same price range pretty much. Some of the cheaper chew has a good flavor but it doesn't seem to last like Red Man or Levi Garrett.

Days Work compared to Levi Garrett Plug is a little more dry and seemed to lose flavor quicker.

Last edited by okrattler; 05-27-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #33
okrattler
Pope & Young

I just picked up two pouches of Stoker's Red Supreme for $4.35. I hope it's good. If it is I might stick with this stuff for a while.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #34
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

I much prefer the flavor of chew but after 10 minutes or so my gag reflex won't allow it. No problem with a tin of copenhagen every day though.. I wish I hated it all and could stop wasting money.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM   #35
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Quote:
I remember Stokers had this stuff called Tennessee Chew and you could buy it in these huge bags like you're talking. I only had the Original but I'm pretty sure one they came out with was called Moonshine Blend and maybe a few others. The original wasn't bad and one of those bags lasted forever it seemed like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
Man this thread brings back some memories. Fred Stoker’s is still around boys!!
https://www.stokerssnuff.com

My daddy chewed tobacco every day of his life that I knew him. If he wasn’t asleep, eating, drinking (or maybe in church) he had a chew in his mouth and a coffee can to spit in.
He also bought the huge bags in bulk from Fred Stokers in Tennessee. He would freeze what he could and had saved up old pouches for years and even had friends of ours donating their empty pouches.
Funny story:
My grandad also chewed Beech-Nut but not nearly as much as daddy and was always poking fun at daddy for buying so much chew in bulk to save a dollar. He was always razzing daddy about it not being near the quality of Beech-Nut or Levi Garrett, etc.

We had a lease in Junction and one time we were all sitting around deer camp after lunch one day and grandad (Peepaw), having run out of Beech-Nut asked to bum a chew off of dad. Daddy saw this as a great opportunity to introduce Peepaw to “Ole Freddy”, as dad called it...so while laughing, gave him a pouch. Now first understand, my Peepaw had the 2nd driest sense of humor of any human being I have ever come into contact with. The 1st? My daddy! The fruit didn’t fall far from the tree I promise.

Anyway....we all got to visiting and kinda lost track of Peepaw until we noticed him fiddling with something in the back of his truck. He eventually came out with his McCulloch chain saw...cranked it up and revved the engine real good! We all walked over to see wth he was doing and he had sprawled out every bit of chew in that pouch out onto the tailgate of his truck and started “hacking” at it with that McCulloch!!

Apparently Ole Fred Stoker’s product isn’t cut nearly as “fine” as some chewing tobacco! Peepaw said he was having to cut some of the “stems” off so he could chew it!!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #36
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Red Man in the red and green pouch. If I’m working around the ranch I gotta have it. Don’t touch the stuff once the workday is done.

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #37
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

Quote:
I dont chew or dip anymore but for 25 years or so if i was awake and not eating and i had some in. Towards the end i was ordering chew in bulk bags from a place called fred stokers in tennesse i think. Came in 5 lb bags i kept in the freezer. Just pull out what you needed for the day and put it in a ziploc. They had different flavors and it was the absolute best you ever had!!! Im not sure they are still in business or do it that way but it would be worth a try! It was so dang good, my mouth is watering just thinking about that stuff. l
Same here! I would buy from then as well! 24-M was what I would buy.... And yes, mouth is watering thinking about it. I haven't had a chew in about 10 years. That was some good stuff though!
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #38
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Chewed for many, many years and ended up mostly chewing Workhorse. Also chewed plug, Brown Mule, Days O Work and others along with twist tobacco. Never could find a flavored chew that did not taste like you were chewing on an overripe peach seed or some other over ripe fruit!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #39
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
Man this thread brings back some memories. Fred Stoker’s is still around boys!!
https://www.stokerssnuff.com

My daddy chewed tobacco every day of his life that I knew him. If he wasn’t asleep, eating, drinking (or maybe in church) he had a chew in his mouth and a coffee can to spit in.
He also bought the huge bags in bulk from Fred Stokers in Tennessee. He would freeze what he could and had saved up old pouches for years and even had friends of ours donating their empty pouches.
Funny story:
My grandad also chewed Beech-Nut but not nearly as much as daddy and was always poking fun at daddy for buying so much chew in bulk to save a dollar. He was always razzing daddy about it not being near the quality of Beech-Nut or Levi Garrett, etc.

We had a lease in Junction and one time we were all sitting around deer camp after lunch one day and grandad (Peepaw), having run out of Beech-Nut asked to bum a chew off of dad. Daddy saw this as a great opportunity to introduce Peepaw to “Ole Freddy”, as dad called it...so while laughing, gave him a pouch. Now first understand, my Peepaw had the 2nd driest sense of humor of any human being I have ever come into contact with. The 1st? My daddy! The fruit didn’t fall far from the tree I promise.

Anyway....we all got to visiting and kinda lost track of Peepaw until we noticed him fiddling with something in the back of his truck. He eventually came out with his McCulloch chain saw...cranked it up and revved the engine real good! We all walked over to see wth he was doing and he had sprawled out every bit of chew in that pouch out onto the tailgate of his truck and started “hacking” at it with that McCulloch!!

Apparently Ole Fred Stoker’s product isn’t cut nearly as “fine” as some chewing tobacco! Peepaw said he was having to cut some of the “stems” off so he could chew it!!
That's too funny. I can't remember what's had the most stems in it that I've had right off the top of my head. I don't mind stems so much as long the flavor last quite a while. I catch myself grinding chew up with my teeth until it's cut up something fierce. Stems and all.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #40
okrattler
Pope & Young

Stoker's Red Supreme gets the nod from me. It's got a good flavor and it last quite a while. I just finished a pouch of Starr original before I bought it and Stoker's is definitely higher quality for a lower price. Starr has somewhat of a bitter taste at first to me. Stoker's is just good right off the bat. Y'all might give it a try if you run across some.