Plant/tree ID? Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant/tree ID? Please

Can I get some help identifying these plants and trees?
    These plants are in a food plot I planted and it's pretty obvious the deee don't like them so I don't want to plant them any more.

I'm pretty sure this is a weed but what kind?

Are these white oaks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2nd weed is "goat weed" and I believe these trees are Red Oaks

Comment

The first looks like some sort of sorghum. Not intended for forage, but for grain last in the fall, not necessarily deer forage, but good forage for other game animals.

The tree you need pics of the leaf and bark and acorn would be helpful

Comment

The first looks like sorghum. Second looks like wild millet. Third is what we called dove weed, also called turkey weed, as both of those bird species are supposed to like the seeds. I don't know what the official name is, but when you see it, it's a sign of recently disturbed soil. The trees look like some kind of oak, but I don't know my oak trees very well at all.

Comment

The tree pic is definitely a red oak

Comment

I think the 2nd picture is a member of the panicum family (possibly scribner panicum). Goat weed and dove weed (local names) for third pic. Official name is Texas Croton.

Comment

Sorghum, Goat Weed (not the horny kind), and Red Oak...

Comment

Plant/tree ID? Please

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                The first looks like sorghum. Second looks like wild millet. Third is what we called dove weed, also called turkey weed, as both of those bird species are supposed to like the seeds. I don't know what the official name is, but when you see it, it's a sign of recently disturbed soil. The trees look like some kind of oak, but I don't know my oak trees very well at all.

Thanks everyone! It's funny you mentioned the "goat weed" being there because of the soil being disturbed. I had never seen this here until this summer, so I was wondering if I planted it.

I know there was sorghum and millet in the mix I planted in the spring. My deer just aren't touching this stuff, and they didn't last year either. They hit the beans hard. I need to find a mix that they'll have plenty likable forage with and not waste time with stuff like this.

I keep finding these huge stands of oaks but I don't think I've located a white oak yet.

Comment

The tree is a black oak, which is part of the red oak family.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                    I keep finding these huge stands of oaks but I don't think I've located a white oak yet.

I can see a sweet gum in that mix. Those trees make good stand sites. Last year I found a red oak loaded with akerns. Deer were walking over the white oaks to eat those, so, don't count them out.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                      I can see a sweet gum in that mix. Those trees make good stand sites. Last year I found a red oak loaded with akerns. Deer were walking over the white oaks to eat those, so, don't count them out.

What seems kind of strange is I'm not seeing any acorns. Maybe they're too high and my eyes aren't good enough. I'm going to have to bring out some binos.

Comment

Working...
                      X