What I've learned about turkey hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I've learned about turkey hunting

1. The turkey in my hunting area have never roosted twice in the same area, EVER.
    2. The sun rises 30 minutes earlier on the days I go turkey hunting.
    3. When turkey hunting I have the patience of a teenage girl.
    4. When You're not seeing anything, just like when duck hunting, walk out to the decoys to make an adjustment.............they'll come in and spot you before you can get back in the blind for sure.
    5. Longbows are a poor choice for a pop-up blind.
    6. Turkey are the smartest dumb animals I've ever hunted.....If they could smell, they'd be unkillable.
    7. Lastly, a fart last 45 minutes in pop-up blind when only one window is open.

Yep. And if you are on public land and hear a gobble with a lot of hen yelps afterwards, you (as a hunter) are not alone in that area.

Comment

Can't argue with any of the above^^^

Comment

Makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
          1. The turkey in my hunting area have never roosted twice in the same area, EVER.
          2. The sun rises 30 minutes earlier on the days I go turkey hunting.
          3. When turkey hunting I have the patience of a teenage girl.
          4. When You're not seeing anything, just like when duck hunting, walk out to the decoys to make an adjustment.............they'll come in and spot you before you can get back in the blind for sure.
          5. Longbows are a poor choice for a pop-up blind.
          6. Turkey are the smartest dumb animals I've ever hunted.....If they could smell, they'd be unkillable.
          7. Lastly, a fart last 45 minutes in pop-up blind when only one window is open.
          #3 has cost me a few birds over the years. I get settled in and after a little while I start second guessing my spot - "I really should be over there behind that log or back there behind that bush or closer to the creek" etc. Nothing worse than standing up to move to that perfect spot only to see a gobbler that was coming in, now running like Usain Bolt in the other direction!

Comment

Rule #10: Just because you wake up and hear them gobbling practically right outside of camp does not mean you will be able to walk out and call one in. Maybe I need to get a new call.

Comment

I have always said they are the smartest dumb animal ever. Several times I have given up on a spot and when going to collect decoys I see turkeys running away.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                #3 has cost me a few birds over the years. I get settled in and after a little while I start second guessing my spot - "I really should be over there behind that log or back there behind that bush or closer to the creek" etc. Nothing worse than standing up to move to that perfect spot only to see a gobbler that was coming in, now running like Usain Bolt in the other direction!
                X2 Turkeys are diabolical, especially Easterns.

Comment

Patience on an old bird is extremely important. In nature, the gobbler vocalizes and struts, calling the hens to him. When we are hunting, we have to "de-program" the bird and get him to come to the fake hen calls.
                  Sleep late, don't worry about when the sun comes up. I have heard all the gobbling on the limb I want to hear and have seen the hens lead the gobblers away from me when they hit the ground as much as I can stand. I get out there about 9:00 AM and kill most of my birds from 10:00 AM until 1:00 PM.
                  In the old days when I was guiding I would see from 30-40 gobblers die in a season. I have been blessed to have hunted with some of the greatest turkey hunters in the world in some of the very best places.
                  Adios,
                  Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                    Patience on an old bird is extremely important. In nature, the gobbler vocalizes and struts, calling the hens to him. When we are hunting, we have to "de-program" the bird and get him to come to the fake hen calls.
                    Sleep late, don't worry about when the sun comes up. I have heard all the gobbling on the limb I want to hear and have seen the hens lead the gobblers away from me when they hit the ground as much as I can stand. I get out there about 9:00 AM and kill most of my birds from 10:00 AM until 1:00 PM.
                    In the old days when I was guiding I would see from 30-40 gobblers die in a season. I have been blessed to have hunted with some of the greatest turkey hunters in the world in some of the very best places.
                    Adios,
                    Gary
                    Thanks for the wise insight. I like the idea of sleeping in and then going out to call them. Those gobbles from the roost will sure fool you. Perhaps next hunt I'll use this strategy and see how it goes.

Comment

By the way, I don't use a blind or decoys. I prefer to be able to move quickly and be able to set up where the gobbler has to come looking for me. The only time I use decoys is when I am calling for a bowhunter. I have run off more turkeys trying to set up a decoy than I have had the decoy help lure in a bird. Also have had the wind send my decoy flying at very inopportune times having the same result as a cur dog running through a hen house.
                      Adios,
                      Gary

Comment

I think you are right, Gary. IMO there is nothing more exciting than have a gobbler come straight to you right off the roost. However that is really hard to do especially early in the season when you are competing with real hens that are right in front of them yelping away. I've had more success with that tactic later when most of the hens have been bred.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                          Adios,
                          Gary
                          This makes sense! But I still love being out there at daylight and listening.

Comment

I won’t pass a sunrise hunt up. Yes they are harder to kill....but that just makes me work
                            harder. All it takes is making the most vocal hen mad and she will lead him right to you. Or catch a tom that’s roosted a little bit away from others and get between them! That’s usually money! Nothing like hearing and seeing the world wake up to the sound of gobbles! Second best sound in nature next to an elk bugle for me

Comment

I've learned that Turkeys are *******s

Comment

Working...
                              X