Dog Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog Trailer

So I have a UWS box I used to put in my truck. I like to use my Jeep to go hunt so want to make a trailer to haul dogs and gear.

I found a 4x7’ trailer with a military axle and beefy springs for $200 and grabbed it.

Just want some suggestions and advice on what you’d do. I have a buddy that can weld whatever for me. I don’t really want to make the dog box permanent as I will use the trailer for some other things too. Kinda of an expedition trailer but not all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know someone has an idea or suggestion.

Think it'll be ok weight wise or should I move the box more over the axle?

I want it mounted solid but not permanent, what ideas do y'all have?

Comment

I don't have an opinion on where to mount it but it sure looks like a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
        I don't have an opinion on where to mount it but it sure looks like a great idea.
        Thanks.

Just make it easier for sure. Kids, dogs, and gear in the jeep doesn't work.

Comment

I would puy more weight towards the tounge. the last thing you want is for it to be tail heavy. that will make it sway or fish tail at certain speeds.

I would also put backing plates on those fenders.

looks like a cool project!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
            I would puy more weight towards the tounge. the last thing you want is for it to be tail heavy. that will make it sway or fish tail at certain speeds.

Yes we are goin to on the fenders. I want to put some angle on them to keep them from bending as well.

Comment

My only concern would that a single axle trailer will be super rough on the dogs unless on a smooth road.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post

Also need weight forward so you can disconnect it without it hitting you in the face

Comment

Water can, tool/gear box, and spare tire toward the front will get you some tongue weight.

I'd slide the dog box forward some to give them something to land their feet on when they jump, besides just the box. Some dogs don't like jumping into the box for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    My only concern would that a single axle trailer will be super rough on the dogs unless on a smooth road.
                    It's actually not too bad, that spring helps alot but I hear you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      Water can, tool/gear box, and spare tire toward the front will get you some tongue weight.

I'd slide the dog box forward some to give them something to land their feet on when they jump, besides just the box. Some dogs don't like jumping into the box for whatever reason.
                      yeah I like the idea of a foot, then 4' for the box and then 2' for the storage area. That puts the box over the axle too.

Comment

I was thinking about making some new wooden sides and front to make it work.

Still debating but might be a good option.

Comment

Dog Trailer

Some goodies came in today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by rferg84; 09-27-2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X