Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSNBC poll : Do you agree with laws allowing teachers to carry concealed weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
    My wife’s a teacher and she would carry. She’s never been a Navy Seal, but I promise she would do everything in her power to protect her babies.
    My wife is an Assistant Director at a private Pre-k and Kindergarten. They have discussed arming to the extent of trying to arrange a private LTC class.

It may seem like a pre-k and Kindergarten wouldn't be an issue until you have a parent with no visitation rights show up wanting to take their kid.
    Last edited by grizzman; 02-24-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

49% now. MSNBC employees friends and family voting probably.

Comment

Think an I told you so is in order...but honestly, I'm ashamed anything MSNBC was ever brought up on TBH....

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
          49% now. MSNBC employees friends and family voting probably.

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          Think an I told you so is in order...but honestly, I'm ashamed anything MSNBC was ever brought up on TBH....
          Agree...I think we’ve been had and their little survey is probably rigged from the beginning to create a “supported” biased survey.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
            The armed professional in Florida was a sheriff deputy, not a rent a cop. Who says the teacher has to carry? Install safes in their rooms. The seconds it would take to retrieve the weapon is still much better than the minutes it takes professionals to be on scene. In fact just knowing teachers are armed in the buildings will probably discourage 9 out of ten of shootings from ever happening.
            I wasn't referring to the coward. In general, where security is needed, to keep costs low, rent a cops are used.

What is being offered is money to teachers to carry, so any teacher that wants more money will take a class or two, spend some time on the range, fill out the proper paperwork, and be a certified "professional." 60 year old Mr. Bumblefingers will be handling a loaded firearm around children everyday. I think that is a bad idea.

Most mass shooters are on a suicide mission, so I don't think it would be a determent. Suicide by cop happens enough that we have the term just for it. Now a suicidal person can just head over to Mrs. Smith's kindergarten classroom. I apply the law of unintended consequences to most ideas, especially those being tossed around by politicians.
            Last edited by cabo390; 02-24-2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
              If you are going to use this argument then I assume you are against regular citizens being able to carry...seems like the same argument would apply.
              No. I am not against citizens being able to carry nor am I against teachers being able to carry. The problem is money is being offered to teachers to carry. Any teacher wanting/needing more money could take a few classes and be a certified "professional" and will be handling a loaded firearm around children everyday. I think that is a bad idea.

Last year a local boy exiting his stand had his rifle go off striking him in the head and he died. Firearm accidents happen, and when you are talking about millions of teachers/administrators handling firearms everyday, accidents will happen. My question is will the accident rate be greater, or more unacceptable than that caused by a school shooter.

Secured entry/exits. Good idea.
              Professional LEOs. Good idea.
              Address Mental health issues (huge problem in the USA and especially TX) Good idea.
              Background check that is actually useful. Good idea.
              Paying 65 year old Mrs. Jitteryhands to handle a Desert Eagle 50 everyday around children Bad idea.

Comment

MSNBC poll : Do you agree with laws allowing teachers to carry concealed weapons?

Do you have any stats for “accidents” for the millions that carry daily?

Or are you just speculating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Poll is down to 35% now.

Comment

Quit callin it a poll.

Comment

Originally posted by cabo390 View Post
                      Most mass shooters are on a suicide mission, so I don't think it would be a determent. Suicide by cop happens enough that we have the term just for it. Now a suicidal person can just head over to Mrs. Smith's kindergarten classroom. I apply the law of unintended consequences to most ideas, especially those being tossed around by politicians.
                      Name a Mass murderer that didnt pick a soft unarmed target.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                        Name a Mass murderer that didnt pick a soft unarmed target.
                        Is a school with armed police officers soft?

Comment

Yes, especially when the officer is not willing to protect the students. The officer was not in that particular building at the time of the attack, so yes this particular building was a soft target. Answer me this, how many children and adults that got killed would have or could have been saved if that officer had engaged the shooter? Or maybe the other 3 officers that got there and did not enter to engage the shooter.

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                              Yes, especially when the officer is not willing to protect the students. The officer was not in that particular building at the time of the attack, so yes this particular building was a soft target. Answer me this, how many children and adults that got killed would have or could have been saved if that officer had engaged the shooter? Or maybe the other 3 officers that got there and did not enter to engage the shooter.
                              So four sworn LEO with over 100 years experience and training between them on that campus and it is still a "soft target"?

Oh, but some TBH 62 year old mom with a .38 is going to charge the shooter unlike these four sworn public defenders?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                Do you have any stats for “accidents” for the millions that carry daily?

Or are you just speculating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Accidental firearm discharges happen regardless of the setting. Statistically they happen with the military, LEOs and the public. I have been on the range and they have happened. My point is that they would happen less from a LEO than some teacher with a few hours of training.

The problem is one of scale. Currently there are about 500,000 LEOs in the USA and they have accidental discharges. Suggesting 20% or so of teachers carry is a force larger than all of the LEOs. Accidents will happen, and with the sensationalism media, what will the fallout be of that? I think LEOs are better than teachers at protecting students.

Comment

Working...
                                X