Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Ammo rec for Nilgai (30-06)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a 180 gr Barnes tip something or other with my Thompson -06 on everything.... because I found a smokin deal on em and bought 4 boxes and when those run out I'll find another smokin deal or get core locks. Although my rifle did not like any hornady's in the maroon box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
      Can you share this picture

I've looked all over the site and can't find it. Lemme see if I can recreate it

Comment

I would love to see that picture if you can recreate it!

I ended up getting these. Now I just need to shoot them and see if my rifle likes them (I sure hope so at $50/box!!!).

Comment

Ammo rec for Nilgai (30-06)

Best I can do without a stylus pen, the dot is where you'll break the shoulder blade and the backward angle bone going to the leg and hit the heart behind there. The lines represent the bones of the legs.

Comment

I'm excited to hear how this turns out. Always wanted to shoot one. Good luck!!

Comment

That pic is exactly where you want to hit them. That is where we tell every hunter to shoot them and will typically require another shot but if hit perfectly very low in the shoulder, they will generally not go very far. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post

Best I can do without a stylus pen, the dot is where you'll break the shoulder blade and the backward angle bone going to the leg and hit the heart behind there. The lines represent the bones of the legs.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks, that picture helps a lot! I hope to be posting some pics soon!

Comment

Originally posted by poisonivie View Post
                    When it goes down, put another round in it. If the hind leg is still kicking, put a third in it.
                    Oh man, deja vu !!

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                      I'm excited to hear how this turns out. Always wanted to shoot one. Good luck!!
                      Thanks, I am trying not to get too fired up since it is a hunt in the waiting so to speak. I am going on a hunt up in Del Rio in 2 weeks for a management buck and possibly an axis doe...pigs are shot on sight. I am hoping to try this ammo out up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post

The
                        I was think it was straight up from there. Where the neck meets.

Comment

Highly recommend not shooting them in the neck or base of the neck unless you can hit the white spot when they are looking at you. Way too much area in there to not get the spine. We have lost too many Bulls due to people trying for a neck shot or base of neck shot. It will knock them down, but if it doesn't hit the spine, they will get right back up to never be seen again. Low in the shoulder all the way

Comment

Just hit them in the boiler maker & you will be fine. I have killed them with 150 grain ballistic tip out of my Browning 30/06.

Comment

Working...
                            X