Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

I'm making a bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some osage that is aged just about right. I am going to have to jump on one and see what happens....

Your pics look good so far. keep us posted....

Comment

New member here. I've been planning on making a bow for a while- have vol. 1 of the bowyers bible and have just been studying it for about a year. I figure I will probably break several before I come up with one I can hunt with.
      I was thinking that for getting started I would make one of Hackberry, which I've heard is a passable bow wood-easier to work than Osage although I would need to make the limbs a little wider, and there's a hackberry in my buddies back yard that I've got my eyes on. I think it would be good practice to familiarize myself with working the rings, layout,etc,.before attempting to tackle Osage. Anybody ever worked with Hackberry? I believe it's very similar to Mulberry which was pretty common bow wood with the Indians in the eastern part of the country.

Comment

I have a old ( & i mean old) wing archery recurve bow. it has a split upper limb. does anyone know if that can be repaired???? or cut off to make a takedown bow??? it was my father & i think his fathers or uncles before him.everything else looks like it is in pretty good shape other than a few surface cracks along the grain on the riser. is this even a project that should be tackled or would it be better as a wall hanger only????????????

Comment

Stoneman

Without seeing the bow, it is hard to say if it can be repaired. Might post some pictures for the group to look at. Or find a bowyer and have him look it over.

I have a Red Wing Hunter from the early '70s. It shows some gaps in the glue line between the riser and lams. It will stay a wall hanger. I had a bow blow up on me. Not an experience I would recommend and sure do not want to duplicate it.

Comment

Thanks frontloader....I know in the back of my mind it will stay on the wall. but it would be nice to have it shooting instead of just to look at. It is probably too old to shoot even if it was in good condition.

Comment

Stoneman, lets get togehter and compare notes. i have a few, but I am just getting started too. As for your bow, I would oil it up real good to prevent any further drying, hang it up and be proud that it has been in the family so long.

Max, I haven't worked or heard of any one who has worked with hackberry. I am going to start with Osage because of the Cherokee connection. After researching a little, I have decided that if i can build out of Osage, I can build it out of anything.

Comment

sounds pretty good . what is your schedule like?

Comment

I have a very flexible schedule. I work every third day, so it is easy to make plans.

Comment

Working...
                  X