How will high winds affect Turkey Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will high winds affect Turkey Hunting

Just wondering how these high winds would affect Turkey hunting this weekend?

They will be out you just won’t hear them or if you do you won’t know where it’s coming from

Comment

It proved difficult at first at the last two places I hunted, but in both places I figured out that they liked to get out of the wind. We have lots of topography and tree cover. I can usually find them in the trees as opposed to the meadows where I can normally get on'em when it's not windy.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        They will be out you just won’t hear them or if you do you won’t know where it’s coming from
        They’ll sound a lot closer than they really are, or they’ll be in your back pocket before you hear them!

Comment

We've knocked down 4 in 2 hunts, last night and this morning. They are hened up. We have seen plenty of birds. We are an hour west of you. Yesterday it was 95 degrees when we got here and 25-35 mph winds. Beats being at work!

Comment

Just came back from working at my ranch. Saw two flocks of turkeys in over 40 mph winds. They were eating at my feeder like usual.

Comment

Thanks everyone, headed out tomorrow morning.

Comment

Seems to me like they tend to move slower and vocalize less.

Comment

Had no effect on me today

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                    They’ll sound a lot closer than they really are, or they’ll be in your back pocket before you hear them!
                    It happened exactly that way for us last week.
                    But still managed to get it done.

Comment

We got one last night and another this morning in panhandle wind of 30+ mph
                      But we stayed close to cover of trees and brush line
                      The wind makes calling difficult because sound not carrying well
                      But birds are staying close to cover to get outta wind
                      You may see them well before you hear them
                      Can be difficult but can be done just stay persistent

Comment

From my experience They fly faster with the wind and slower into the wind. They are use to the wind so it doesn't bother them just effects you trying to call them in. Good luck.

Comment

I'm sorry I can't hear your question. Too windy.

Comment

They are really boogered up where I am today. They were out yesterday but now there’s no sign of a turkey anywhere.

Comment

40+ mph winds at our place had the turkeys holed up and who knows where. Wind was horrible yesterday and today. Came back early to try next weekend. did bust a good boar coming to our pond late yesterday evening so not a total loss. Dropped him in his tracks facing me from about 40 yards with my ASSAULT RIFLE! I guess I am guilt of assaulting this boar! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X