Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
PSE guy
Four Point

Default HVAC Cost - Sanity Check

Got quoted today $13K installed for a 3 Ton Trane XR17 AC with XV80 Variable Speed Gas Furnace and Coil. Since I know nothing about this stuff I need a sanity check on the costs. It's a 2 story attic installation, Not tight quarters. Can the experts give some feedback ? It's the 1st quote..
PSE guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Walker
Ten Point

Sounds reasonable to me.mine was 11000 and the AC man owed me some favors.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 09:23 PM   #3
Chadhender
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I bought a 5 ton XR17 same as air handler as you with all new duct work and new plenum last year. It was Around 11k. I used Oscar’s A/C out of Pasadena. I can get you a number if needed. They did a great job.
Chadhender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 10:40 PM   #4
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

Seems a little high, but really depends on what it comes with, warranties, etc.

For comparison, I just got home from selling a 3 ton 18 seer 2-stage heat/cool, variable blower horizontal gas system. Good filtration, UV, smart home package, duct cleaning, 10yr parts and labor, lifetime compressor warranty. $10,800.

Beat a competitor selling a similar system for $9k, but their install was pretty stripped down.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 04:08 AM   #5
chancito1
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas/Kempner

Seems too high
chancito1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:46 AM   #6
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

That is a little high by a lot. I just put in a new American Standard 16 SEER 4 ton heat pump and added two more cold air returns and retrofitted the duct work to eliminate sound conduction. This was necessary because the variable speed motors "sing" and will sound like a jet engine with hard ducting. My cost was $6300 to the contractor and we received a $375 incentive back from our electric provider. We do not have gas heat and don't want it. Not sure why anyone would want gas heat in south Texas. The heat pumps does a really good job until the temperature gets into the low twenties with wind.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 06:34 AM   #7
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

I do not do residential hvac but that sounds high to me.
Changed out a 3 ton heat pump split system for a relative last summer.....14 Seer, was somewhere around $2500 my cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 07:09 AM   #8
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

I have replaced the two AC units in my house in last three years. Both 3 ton Lennox brands. Electric without heat pumps. First one was $6,500 and got a deal on the second for $5,800. 14 Seer and live in N. Texas.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 07:19 AM   #9
Daniel32
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Kinney County

It’s on the high end IMO

You can probably get a similar system if not the same for around 10-11k.
Daniel32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #10
PSE guy
Four Point

Thanks folks.. I so much appreciate your feedback..I have some more bids coming.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #11
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

You don't say if it's new construction or replacement. Has a big effect on cost.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 08:21 AM   #12
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

This is what I paid 4 years ago.

3 ton 16.5 seer lennox elite heat pump system with
wifi icomfort thermostat. This price includes
replacing all flex duct work and adding 1 new duct
run and enlarging the duct in the master bedroom.
This equipment has a 10 year parts warranty and 1
year labor warranty 8,067.57
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #13
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

I just asked my co worker who owns his own HVAC business on the side. He said you should be around 8,200.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #14
Gclyde28
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSE guy View Post
Got quoted today $13K installed for a 3 Ton Trane XR17 AC with XV80 Variable Speed Gas Furnace and Coil. Since I know nothing about this stuff I need a sanity check on the costs. It's a 2 story attic installation, Not tight quarters. Can the experts give some feedback ? It's the 1st quote..
True Variable Speed is expensive.
Gclyde28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
7sdad
Ten Point

We are building a new house and got a quote for a 14 seer 4 ton with a fresh air exchanger for $7,710.00
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #16
Thad00
Nubbin' Buck

That is because you are buying Trane equipment. Way overpriced. Get you an Amana line 2 stage system. ASXC18036 with a comfortbridge furnace. Make sure you register the equipment and you get a 10 year warranty.
Thad00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #17
PSE guy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitchl View Post
You don't say if it's new construction or replacement. Has a big effect on cost.
Replacement
Old 01-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #18
PSE guy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclyde28 View Post
True Variable Speed is expensive.

Heck.. I'm not sure I even need a variable speed ?? Being that my current units are 28 yrs old, I'm sure variable speed was not even available then..My problem is I don't know squat about this stuff so it makes me a easy target. I am so greatful for the GS folks..
Old 01-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #19
hbender1
Four Point

Hunt In: Bee

Replaced our 5 ton system 2 years ago this month with a Carrier 14 seer system. Air handler is in the attic like yours , but kind of tight quarters, it was $6800.
hbender1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #20
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Seems a bit high. What is variable on the furnace, the fan, or the burner capacity?
2 kinds of fan motors are available in all furnaces today, ECM, which is a variable speed which is set up with dip switches and is the best and most efficient fan, and variable torque, which the has 4 speeds and is set up at startup.
Variable burner capacity means the fire modulates depending upon how much heat is needed. Two stage furnaces and single stage furnaces are available also. Variable capacity and fan speed being the most expensive.
Trane XL17 outdoor units are 2 stage up to 17.7seer. 14seer is the minimum that can be sold in Texas.

There are a lot of variables in system changeout prices that make it very hard to say whether it is too high or not. Ease of access, room to work, duct repairs and connections, filtration, humidification, and thermostat selection all figure in.

There is a lot of cost difference in a 14seer system and a 17+seer system, several thousand dollars.
I encourage people to weigh the price difference of a base system and a high efficiency system, and decide if there are enough energy savings to make it worth upgrading (most of the time there is). Only consider the difference in the base vs higher eff for energy payback, you are already buying the base system.
The increase in comfort level with the multistage and variable capacity systems have value also, you have to determine if it is worth it to you.

My advise, get bids on a base (14seer) system, a 16 - 17seer system, and a 20+seer
variable speed system. Good, better, best.

Remember, be comfortable with whomever does your install, so check out your contractors and select the best, you are spending a lot of money.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 04:29 PM   #21
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

seems pretty high. We put in a 16 seer trane heat pump in Sept and paid $7k
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #22
friscopaint
Ten Point

Local busiest company tried to rape me, they get most the work without question, good to shop around.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #23
PSE guy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by double bogey View Post
Seems a bit high. What is variable on the furnace, the fan, or the burner capacity?
2 kinds of fan motors are available in all furnaces today, ECM, which is a variable speed which is set up with dip switches and is the best and most efficient fan, and variable torque, which the has 4 speeds and is set up at startup.
Variable burner capacity means the fire modulates depending upon how much heat is needed. Two stage furnaces and single stage furnaces are available also. Variable capacity and fan speed being the most expensive.
Trane XL17 outdoor units are 2 stage up to 17.7seer. 14seer is the minimum that can be sold in Texas.

There are a lot of variables in system changeout prices that make it very hard to say whether it is too high or not. Ease of access, room to work, duct repairs and connections, filtration, humidification, and thermostat selection all figure in.

There is a lot of cost difference in a 14seer system and a 17+seer system, several thousand dollars.
I encourage people to weigh the price difference of a base system and a high efficiency system, and decide if there are enough energy savings to make it worth upgrading (most of the time there is). Only consider the difference in the base vs higher eff for energy payback, you are already buying the base system.
The increase in comfort level with the multistage and variable capacity systems have value also, you have to determine if it is worth it to you.

My advise, get bids on a base (14seer) system, a 16 - 17seer system, and a 20+seer
variable speed system. Good, better, best.

Remember, be comfortable with whomever does your install, so check out your contractors and select the best, you are spending a lot of money.
Variable speed is the fan ( if I understand correctly). Once is unit comes and gets stable is runs between 30 - 70 % based on the need. I'm told variable helps tighter regulate humidity. Again, if I am understanding correctly..
Old 01-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #24
PSE guy
Four Point

Got another bid today for 2.5/14seer American Standard $6744
and 2.5/16seer $8836. I got more bids coming. I can thank you enough for your help !!

Last edited by PSE guy; 01-24-2020 at 06:09 PM.