Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas
Default Shooting a deer that's already been shot...

What's the SOP here? This is an archery only county, we have 2 bucks running around that have been shot already, 1 was about a month ago and 1 was about 2 weeks ago. Assuming both are "doing ok" and are back at corn piles, if they weren't bucks you targeted would you shoot just because they are injured? If you kill it does it go to the original shooter? What if it was one of your target bucks, would you keep it?

What if it was a target buck and he came in very sick and didn't look good, I would obviously shoot, but then who gets the deer?

For the record, 1 was a target buck, that was seen on a camera (not mine) about a week ago with a high shot, and 1 was a buck that I would have passed another year that was seen about 4 days ago and did not appear to be doing well, shot location was believed to be high as well but not positive. He is also a buck that I had on camera a lot before he was shot.

Just curious what you guys have done in this situation.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

I shot a deer last year, because it had looked like it had gotten hit by a car or shot in the shoulder. Broken and could barely walk. I shot him legal, ate good. But, I missed my shot at my target buck as I believe he was shot last year sometimes. Have not seen him this year at all.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

If you shoot him days after the first shot he’s your deer
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
trophy8
Pope & Young

The person who KILLS the deer is who it belongs to.

And yes. If there was a wounded deer that was suffering I would put it down. No question about it.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent and garza counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post

And yes. If there was a wounded deer that was suffering I would put it down. No question about it.
This. I think as a good human being and hunter you are morally obligated to kill a animal that is suffering. Put your tag on it and enjoy the bounty.
talltexasshoote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Quote:

This... I don’t know why it would go to anyone else. The other guy/gal obviously didn’t kill it...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
JeffK
Ten Point

If not a target deer and shot high, I would let him go and see what happens. If they are out and about eating and trying to survive, I don't think they are suffering that bad. Why shoot and dump to buzzards? Gut shot is a different story.

Last edited by JeffK; 01-03-2020 at 12:02 PM.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

I shot a deer a couple years ago that had been wounded (gut shot) and stank to high heaven clearly not edible. I called the GW he came out to look at the buck and told me he would have the state issue me a new tag. About a week later it arrived.
Poor deer could hardly move 20' without having to lay back down I couldn't stand watching him.
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

I would kill any animal that was obviously suffering.
The deer goes to the person that kills it.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #10
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
I would kill any animal that was obviously suffering.
The deer goes to the person that kills it.
This and feel the same way
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #11
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Quote:

My thoughts also.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 01:37 PM   #12
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Deer can survive some amazingly bad injuries
Unless it’s gut shot or can’t get up, I will usually watch them go
and hope for the best.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #13
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I had a young doe in the pasture with a broken front leg that I struggled with a few weeks ago. It took 30 minutes for it to get across the field. Doe season had closed, and I decided it had a chance, very very small. I let it go, but most likely coyotes finished it off.

Buck still standing more than 24 hours isn't a recovery, it's a kill.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #14
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I'd put any wounded animal out of its misery and it'd be one I killed. You don't get to wound animals then claim them as ones you killed when someone else does or they die weeks later do to getting sick. That'd be like someone bragging that they shot a huge deer and telling you they never found it when you ask to see a picture of it.

Unless you shoot it and walk up to it and load it up, you really didn't kill nothin.

Last edited by okrattler; 01-03-2020 at 01:54 PM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #15
Tsnow
Six Point

Hunt In: Gimes Co. / Junction TX

You kill it, your deer.

Yes, I would put it down if suffering.
Tsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #16
jshouse
Pope & Young

I agree with all you guys.

Now take my avatar buck. I made a bad shot and he walked away, off of my property and literally right by my neighbors stand. He wasn't there, but had he been, and had he shot the buck, what now? For arguments sake, we will say it was right before dark when he passed the neighbor, and maybe 500y from my stand, I shot him at 515p.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #17
JeffK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
I agree with all you guys.

Now take my avatar buck. I made a bad shot and he walked away, off of my property and literally right by my neighbors stand. He wasn't there, but had he been, and had he shot the buck, what now? For arguments sake, we will say it was right before dark when he passed the neighbor, and maybe 500y from my stand, I shot him at 515p.
Neighbors deer unless he agreed to let you have it.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #18
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

If your buddy shoots a buck and it comes by you 30min later and you shoot it I would say it goes to the buddy (assuming a shot that would eventually kill it)

Buddy shoots a big buck and 2 weeks later it comes by you, sorry for your bad luck buddy

Seems like Waddell and T-Bone shot the same deer a few years ago on a show, less than hour apart
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #19
TX_DReezen
Four Point

Hunt In: Lee, Kerr, & San Jacinto County

Quote:

This!
TX_DReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #20
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

If you know who shot it originally and you *don't want the deer* but put it down solely to end it's suffering then I would expect the original shooter to take it off your hands as he obviously did think it was good enough to shoot. If you do want the deer then it's clearly yours as others have said since you killed it.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #21
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Bang bang skeet skeet, tag tag

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #22
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Funny who shot it story..

Many moons ago stalked a very big boar as he walked down a creek bed and bellied up into a wallow, I sent one through him and watched him run spurting blood .

30 minutes later I took up the track, following a good blood trail. After a few hundred yards I was wondering how he was still walking with all the blood loss.

Then my phone rings and the sun is all but gone, a buddy of mine says he had a huge spotted boar walk past his stand and he smoked him! I said Hells yeah!! Bro, I hammered one also and tracking him toward you but I'm still quarter mile away.

He climbed down and began tracking the monster...before long I could see a light in the brush and we pretty much tracked a blood trail to each other. We had a hell of a laugh and followed the blood trail to his stand and the boar had ran the opposite direction he though. 30 yards into the brush past his stand is where we found him..

Moral of the story... I was pretty dang happy for him, and it isn't yours till ya kill it.
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #23
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

what if its injured and doesn't make AR
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #24
friscopaint
Ten Point

Years ago talking to biologist in Iowa he said many times broadheads are found in shoulders of perfectly healthy appearing deer. Deer there are so big that sometimes the arrows don't penetrate if hit in shoulder and heals over. This came up after my buddy shot one and arrow went in about an inch or 2 at shoulder, wasn't where he was wanting to put it.....
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #25
SoggyBottomAg
Four Point

Hunt In: Brady, TX

Funny timing on this thread. I had a buck come in yesterday evening within bow range that had been wounded by a neighboring property. Still had the arrow sticking out of him. Shot was high above the front shoulder almost into the back and appeared to have been made at a hard quartering away angle. The arrow had made very little penetration and the buck appeared to be doing just fine. He hung around and ate corn for 20+min.

I struggled with the decision to shoot or not. On one hand, the buck appeared to me to be a younger deer with lots of potential a couple years down the road if he lived. I saw him out of bow range 4 days ago in the same condition with arrow in him and appearing to still be healthy. On the other hand, he did have an arrow in him, although just a meat wound, but an open wound with the potential for infection nonetheless. I wasn’t thrilled at the idea of leaving a wounded deer in the pasture but ultimately I chose not to shoot. I will cross my fingers that he makes it and the wound does not damage antler growth.

What would y’all have done? Just curious. I will try to post a pic of buck with wound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoggyBottomAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #26
friscopaint
Ten Point

If it's alive and I want it I shoot. If it's alive and looking horrible and suffering and not one I want, I put it down and walk, that's the honest answer for me. If looking bad I wouldn't want the meat if deer is septic.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #27
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomAg View Post
Funny timing on this thread. I had a buck come in yesterday evening within bow range that had been wounded by a neighboring property. Still had the arrow sticking out of him. Shot was high above the front shoulder almost into the back and appeared to have been made at a hard quartering away angle. The arrow had made very little penetration and the buck appeared to be doing just fine. He hung around and ate corn for 20+min.

I struggled with the decision to shoot or not. On one hand, the buck appeared to me to be a younger deer with lots of potential a couple years down the road if he lived. I saw him out of bow range 4 days ago in the same condition with arrow in him and appearing to still be healthy. On the other hand, he did have an arrow in him, although just a meat wound, but an open wound with the potential for infection nonetheless. I wasn’t thrilled at the idea of leaving a wounded deer in the pasture but ultimately I chose not to shoot. I will cross my fingers that he makes it and the wound does not damage antler growth.

What would y’all have done? Just curious. I will try to post a pic of buck with wound.

I think that is a very survivable wound.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #28
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomAg View Post

Well I got a call last night from one neighbor saying he saw the buck another neighbor had shot a few weeks ago and that he wasn't doing well. My place is right in between theirs and I had this guy on camera a lot so figured my chances of seeing him are decent.

I didn't want to shoot him this year, wanted to see what all those splits might do next year, but here he is...

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=748257
Old 01-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #29
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

I’m with everyone else, whoever kills it claims it. Exception would be someone hunting the same piece of property, making something like a single lung or liver shot, and an hour or so later it running by you during the same hunt. You don’t owe it to them to give it up, but I probably would. If it was on the parcel next door and shot in the ham, too bad so sad.

Yes I would shoot a wounded deer to put them out of their misery. Do you guys only get 1-2 tags or are you talking about lease rules? Not killing a deer that’s clearly suffering because you want to see if they might grow bigger isn’t good stewardship IMO. Hard to say what I’d do if it was just a mild wound that might have been from fighting, a bullet zipping through the brisket, etc.

Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 01-03-2020 at 05:54 PM.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #30
jshouse
Pope & Young

I'm not sure I, or anyone here, ever said I wouldn't shoot a deer that was suffering.

I was more curious as to what you guys would do with it if you were the 2nd one to shoot. Guess it depends on how well you like the original shooter...
Old 01-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #31
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
I'm not sure I, or anyone here, ever said I wouldn't shoot a deer that was suffering.

I was more curious as to what you guys would do with it if you were the 2nd one to shoot. Guess it depends on how well you like the original shooter...
Oh, if that's the case and it's walking and I put it down then mine.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #32
GhostSkull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas n Oklahoma

Go take a look at the Hagerman seg B thread....
GhostSkull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #33
Fishnhero
Spike

Yours if you shoot it
Fishnhero is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top