Fried Redfish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fried Redfish?

A buddy of mine went to the coast last month and brought home two bull reds that were cleaned at the dock the day they caught them. He wants to do a fish fry at my house on the 4th and wondered what I thought about cooking the bulls. I have had the smaller reds on the grill but never deep fried. I was thinking about small bite size chunks due to the meat possibly being tough. Have any of you guys tried it this way, if so how did it turn out. Thanks, BJ.

I fry the lower end slot reds pretty regularly if we need extra fillets to make a meal. They're great. I'm no help on those big ones. I've never cleaned one.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
      A buddy of mine went to the coast last month and brought home two bull reds that were cleaned at the dock the day they caught them. He wants to do a fish fry at my house on the 4th and wondered what I thought about cooking the bulls. I have had the smaller reds on the grill but never deep fried. I was thinking about small bite size chunks due to the meat possibly being tough. Have any of you guys tried it this way, if so how did it turn out. Thanks, BJ.
      I never had an issue frying bull reds. Trim out the blood line and slice the meat a little thinner if it is thicker than your liking. It shouldnt be tough when cooked.

Zatarans fish fry is decent. Most often, i just season my own flour and deep fry that way.

Comment

Thanks for chiming in guys, I figured I would have to slice it a little thinner, so hopefully that will help with any toughness Im worried about.

Comment

Thanks for chiming in guys, I figured I would have to slice it a little thinner, so hopefully that will help with any toughness Im worried about.
          Bull reds wont be tough at all if you fry them at their full thickness. Actually, it will be the opposite. They will fall apart to easy. I like to cut mine down a little to get them a little more crispy. But thats just how i like fried fish. The more breading on the outside and thinner the fillet, the crispier they turn out.

Comment

Do cubes! Always worked out for me and then leftovers can be made into fish tacos with cornflower tortillas from HEB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is how i do them, and same as trout. Cut them thin, cut out any red blood line, and soak in milk to remove some of the strong fishy taste.

Comment

Working...
              X