How to kill Locust trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to kill Locust trees?

I have been told several different methods on how to kill locust. I am hoping someone can give me a tried and true way to get it done. I tried diesel and remedy once and it did not kill 5% of what I sprayed. Also, I would like to do it now. I heard that there are different methods depending on what time of year it is.

I had the same issue. What worked best for me was to cut and squirt the stump with Tordon RTU. Cover the stump, especially near the edges so that it will get absorbed in the cambium layer. This has been the only method that has worked for me, but luckily it works wonders. Previously I used to buy tordon at TSC, but it appears they no longer sell it? You might try a local ag co-op.

Comment

If they are small trees you can dig down to the root, cut it then spray the root. There will be several trees on the root so it should kill a few of them. If they are bigger trees take a machete and put several cuts into the trunk then spray the cuts that way.

Comment

Comment

I've used diesel and remedy with good results on locust even the big ones. Just gotta mix it strong enough and coat the botttom foot of the trunk good. 1 gallon of remedy to 3 gallons of diesel.

Comment

Just curious, why are you trying to get rid of them? Too many?

Comment

Following
              Would like to know what works

Comment

Foliar or basal spraying, during what time of the year and temperature? How quick after cutting?

Comment

Originally posted by The Cajun View Post
                  Just curious, why are you trying to get rid of them? Too many?
                  In my neck of the woods they will quickly take over a pasture. A few cows, hogs or deer eat the seed pods and then spread them through the pasture. The next season, those saplings make quick work of your tractor/truck tires.

For me anyway, it's the little ones that are hard to manage.

Comment

Working...
                  X