What To Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What To Feed

40 acres in Harrison County, NETX. Hardwood bottom was destroyed by tornado in May of last year. Right before hunting season started this past season, the pipeline crew came in and cleaned up the pipeline, a timber company thinned the pine timber and another logger came in and logged out many of the hardwoods that were salvageable. What used to be a hardwood thicket is now almost clear and bare. There are some trees left and it will grow up again but it will take a while.

This property is surrounded by hunting leases on all sides. I am lucky to see deer anytime.

I purchased 2 spin feeders after Christmas and currently running straight corn.

Is there a better option than straight corn or am I doing all I can do on 40 acres?

Thanks,
    Lance

I would stick with Straight Corn

Comment

Straight corn....I wouldn't bother with protein if you have no woods on a small place and hunters all around.

Comment

Protein is a better attractant for bucks and even though it won't help antler developement much, it will increase the traffic on your small place. Doesn't matter, if it was Brady, East Texas, Oklahoma, or Kansas, this has been the case for me.

Comment

i like to add golden nugget protein berry mixed in the corn in my feeders. pretty much not for the protein help but attractant more so. doesnt clog and doesnt hurt to try if you arent seeing many deer at your feeders.

Comment

Plant some small hand thrown or sewn in food plots. Think Cheap. Just looking for attracting and not managing in your circumstance. More important Is to designate an large area for bedding and let the underbrush grow in, even spray it with some cheap fertilizer to help it establish quicker. Good bedding area is valuable on small acreage especially if you have good undetectable access to slip in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a friend that leases 40 acres down around Rusk. He kills big deer almost every year. Killed the #2 or #3 non-typical in the state of Texas back sme years ago off this place on this 40 acres. It has a decent creek down one side (travel corridor) and has 2 corn feeders running. That's it. Has big timber all around it and he lets the open areas grow up thick for bedding.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtymikesboys View Post
                i like to add golden nugget protein berry mixed in the corn in my feeders. pretty much not for the protein help but attractant more so. doesnt clog and doesnt hurt to try if you arent seeing many deer at your feeders.
                What is this and where can i get it?

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
                  I have a friend that leases 40 acres down around Rusk. He kills big deer almost every year. Killed the #2 or #3 non-typical in the state of Texas back sme years ago off this place on this 40 acres. It has a decent creek down one side (travel corridor) and has 2 corn feeders running. That's it. Has big timber all around it and he lets the open areas grow up thick for bedding.

No food plots? Just let it grow and throw corn?

Comment

Take the mind set that you are not into deer management but deer attractant .... food plots, and possibly planting hardwoods, honeysuckle, feed protein.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      I would stick with Straight Corn
                      Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      Take the mind set that you are not into deer management but deer attractant .... food plots, and possibly planting hardwoods, honeysuckle, feed protein.
                      Thanks for the advice. Is it ok to feed corn all year? I guess I will save money not having to worry about Protein and minerals.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

you can find it at tractor supply. its a protein that can spin out of feeders easily and it big enough for deer to eat off the ground. It smells like berry flavor.The brand is Golden Nugget. i mix about 1 bag in my corn feeder per 5 bags of corn. or a little more when its hunting season.

Comment

Keep the corn feeder.

If you want to do more, then add a food plot if you have a open field and next a protein feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtymikesboys View Post
                              you can find it at tractor supply. its a protein that can spin out of feeders easily and it big enough for deer to eat off the ground. It smells like berry flavor.The brand is Golden Nugget. i mix about 1 bag in my corn feeder per 5 bags of corn. or a little more when its hunting season.
                              Sounds good. Think I need to try. Mixing with corn won't be that expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X