Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Grain Drill Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain Drill Type

I have an international grain drill I'm looking at buying. It's a 10' older model with single culters and a seed drop. Can I use this drill in an oat field that was disk in the fall and the oats are eatin down very short. I plan on planting peas and beans next week or two. I'm trying not to disk again and can't afford a no till right now. Thanks for the input.

I do this a lot, if the ground is not to hard.

Comment

If your colters will penetrate 1.5"/2" you should be good. I think I would kill what's there to eliminate competition for moisture, sunlight, and fertilizer, but I can't see what you have, so you may not need to. I just want my crop to get the benefit from all the above !

Comment

I’m gonna try the same thing with my old John Deer grain drill. Although it isn’t a no-till drill it has dual disks for each row that do a pretty good job of cutting the small plants and ground if it is moist enough.
        My fall plots were oats, wheat and clover. I figure they will die off in early June. But until then they should provide a good cover allowing the beans and peas to grow before the deer devour them.

Comment

Working...
        X