Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
    If you can stand the taste coconut water is really good to replace electrolytes and stop the dehydration symptoms, the stuff works great but taste like poop strained through an old tennis shoe. Some folks cut it 50/50 with water, myself I chug about 6 oz. (that's about all you need per day) then chase it with water, lots of water.
    Wow coconut water did the trick, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
      While good for you, coconut water is a very poor choice for those on a Keto diet. High in carbs and sugar. ALWAYS read labels if following keto. Most fruits aren't a good idea either but stick with fruits that have a Low glycemic index when you do eat them. I stick with a coupe strawberries pre workout or watermelon when I want refreshing fruit. Dry mouth is dehydration, a lot of people make the mistake of not getting enough electrolytes or salts when starting keto.

Shoot me a pm, I will help you but basically oil, nuts, and cheese are your friend. Easily added to any protein meal to get your 35-40 g of fat per meal. Tablespoon of Olive or Avacado oil is 14 grams of fat. 20 grams of fat in 18 pecan halves. 1 oz of most cheese has 9 grams of fat. Also, Avocados are your friend. All of these are easy to put on or eat with your meat to get your fat calories.
      That sounds like a lot of fat! How do you determine whats a good fat vs. bad fat?

Comment

75% of your caloric intake should come from fats, 35 grams is 315 calories, this would make 945 calories of fat per day. 40 grams would be 360 or 1080 a day. So as you can see, that is only 75% of 1400 calories. 1400 is a good number for most on keto diet trying to stay healthy and loose weight. I take in a higher a mount of protein and calories because I work out with weights so I eat up to 1500 calories of fat a day.

Here is a list of good fats and bad fats, a word of caution though, look at the cooking temps of the oils you buy. Some are good for salads, pouring on your shakes or your food while others are high heat and made for cooking. I cook everything in coconut oil and love it.

What Are Good Keto Diet Fats on a Low Carb Diet? Eating the right (healthy) fats is very important, especially on a ketogenic/low carb diet where fat makes up ~70% of your daily caloric intake. All the important facts and supporting studies are included further down in this article but here's what you need to know about good
        Last edited by Rack Ranch; 07-26-2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
          While good for you, coconut water is a very poor choice for those on a Keto diet. High in carbs and sugar. ALWAYS read labels if following keto. Most fruits aren't a good idea either but stick with fruits that have a Low glycemic index when you do eat them. I stick with a coupe strawberries pre workout or watermelon when I want refreshing fruit. Dry mouth is dehydration, a lot of people make the mistake of not getting enough electrolytes or salts when starting keto.

Shoot me a pm, I will help you but basically oil, nuts, and cheese are your friend. Easily added to any protein meal to get your 35-40 g of fat per meal. Tablespoon of Olive or Avacado oil is 14 grams of fat. 20 grams of fat in 18 pecan halves. 1 oz of most cheese has 9 grams of fat. Also, Avocados are your friend. All of these are easy to put on or eat with your meat to get your fat calories.

I found the best way for me to get my fats was eating palmetto cheese. I get it at sams. Lot better then the pimento cheese at heb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a goat cheese guy right now, haven't thought about the Palmetto. Thx, I'll check it out.

Comment

Here is the link for the biscuits https://snapguide.com/guides/make-low-carb-biscuits/ and then I kind of add my own spices to change things up...they're really actually pretty tasty! https://www.ruled.me/10-minute-keto-country-gravy/ This is recipe for cream gravy.

Pancakes: https://theketocookbook.com/keto-recipes/keto-pancakes/ I'm still playing with this recipe a bit to get the consistency and flavor I like, but even the first time I made them I was impressed!

Comment

Oh..and for sandwiches: http://www.food.com/recipe/carb-free-cloud-bread-411501 again, still trying to play with different spices in this and how to get them the consistency I like, but they'll do if you're craving bread. I put sliced prime rib on these with caramelized onions, provolone cheese, and made a horseradish aioli type sauce. Then topped the bread with some herbs and melted butter, tossed it in the oven briefly to melt the cheese and they were GREAT.

Comment

I always start day with bulletproof coffee, that way my fats are always ahead of my protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by bps3040; 07-26-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
                    I always start day with bulletproof coffee, that way my fats are always ahead of my protein.

I do the same when I'm at home.

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                      My problem is finding enough fats to meet the requirements. I am too protein heavy.

But I REALLY want / need to lose a few pounds ��
                      Look up some fat bomb recipes. Easy way to add fat to your diet.

Comment

Enjoyed some scrambled eggs and sausage this morning, then avocado before my lunch run/walk, then some salami wrapped cheese sticks in the afternoon. Lots of water and power aid zero. Probably get some greens at dinner. Staying off the scale but turning the pee strips dark purple morning and night.
                        No carb cravings but about 10pm I can smell the bourbon in my cabinet from the other side of the house[emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                          Enjoyed some scrambled eggs and sausage this morning, then avocado before my lunch run/walk, then some salami wrapped cheese sticks in the afternoon. Lots of water and power aid zero. Probably get some greens at dinner. Staying off the scale but turning the pee strips dark purple morning and night.
                          No carb cravings but about 10pm I can smell the bourbon in my cabinet from the other side of the house[emoji849]

Most bourbons are no to low carbs and should be ok. Just don't mix with anything.

Guess I need to look into this more. I've cut my carbs way back and dropped 25#. Got about 50 more to go. Going to also get back to working out.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                            Most bourbons are no to low carbs and should be ok. Just don't mix with anything.

Guess I need to look into this more. I've cut my carbs way back and dropped 25#. Got about 50 more to go. Going to also get back to working out.

Yes, but your body will use alcohol as an energy source basically above all others while it is in your blood stream. I'd doesn't kick you out of Keto per-se... but it does set you back the length of time the alcohol is on your system.

Comment

Il join in on this thread as I just started back on keto 3 weeks ago. I found some noodles that are zero carb zero calories online that just came in the mail today. They were expensive but if they are good they are well worth it as far as I'm concerned. They are called miracle noodles and I will report back with how they taste after I try them out.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                                Yes, but your body will use alcohol as an energy source basically above all others while it is in your blood stream. I'd doesn't kick you out of Keto per-se... but it does set you back the length of time the alcohol is on your system.

This^. I have learned that I'm lying to myself about the booze. I simply don't lose weight if I'm drinking - well proven.

Comment

Working...
                                X