Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting with two fingers?

Guys,

Its been a while since I've posted but read often. I lost my right ring finger a few months ago. I shoot instinctive and now my right ring finger stump can't reach the string. Yesterday was the first day I've shot due to a lot of pain in my hand. I shot with my index finger over and middle finger under and seemed to be getting erratic arrow flight. I'm not sure if its me plucking or what. Does any one else shoot this way on purpose? Does the tiller of the bow matter and that's what may be causing it? Maybe I'm just over thinking it since I know that things aren't the way they used to be. My groups were not that great either, I had quite a few strays. I hate that I really was getting in the groove of shooting and then suffered an injury like this that would be an additional handicap to my already handy cap shooting! I know there are people that shoot just fine with way worse I'm just wondering.

I only know one person who shoots with 2 fingers. He draws, split fingered, with three fingers and then drops the top finger off at anchor.

I know it can be done. I don't know what is causing your erraticness. You said you have not been able to shoot in a while. It may be just that, coupled with the fact that you are now trying to do it completely different than before.

I would say to give it some time and see if you don't see some improvement with practice.

Bisch

Comment

What about trying to shoot with your two fingers under the arrow? Might be a little more consistent for you. I shoot split and if I put too much pressure on my top finger I get bad flight. If both your fingers are under the arrow it might help you apply pressure evenly when pulling through the shot. Might be worth a try.

Couple other things that might interest you is shooting with a thumb ring or maybe a homemade leather release.
      Last edited by TxAg; 09-16-2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

or just shoot with a release.

Comment

I shoot two fingers split all the time.never had a problem.I would say you must be plucking

Comment

I agree with TxAg - give two under a try and see if you like it. I draw with three under then drop the ring finger almost completely off the string, so it's essentially two under. You'll have to find a new anchor of course - when my middle finger touches the corner of my mouth, the cock feather touches the tip of my nose.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll give the suggestions a try. I thinking the plucking is a lot of rust coming out. I'm still a trad baby and I think having this small handicap so early on in the game will be fine. It will be something I can grow with.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your finger. Take the advice above and also maybe find someone experienced in trad to shoot with to help as well.....best of luck.

Comment

Usually after lay offs, people tend not to draw the bow back quite as far as they should. With the elbow not quite straight, the release is usually plucked to the right a little. (for right hand shooters) I bet you straighten right out.

My friend Tom shoots with just 2 fingers and shoots a 77# long bow and he does great.

Comment

I've seen someone who shot 2-under and did it very well! Stay with it and it will all fall into place. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm planning a trip to Chunky's soon. I guess I need to call him first!

Comment

I've shot 2 finger split for about 30 years now.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your accident. You know you are always welcome at my house to shoot or just hang out.

I think, only a guess, but because you have had pain, and because your are still getting over the loss. You probably are plucking, and not smooth at release. Very understandable.

I would guess, that no matter which way you decide to go. If you keep at it, you will get use to it and improve. You just need to retrain yourself...or perhaps retune your equipment as well, to your new shooting style.

Comment

Guys I went out this evening with my wife and kids and shot a whole lot better. I maintained the one over and one under and focused on clean release. Before I knew it I was popping plastic water bottles and stacking arrows at 12 yards. I moved back to 15 and 20 and was a pretty happy with myself. Tomorrow I may wake up and not be able to hit the barn door but it helped my confidence. I tried the two under and just wasn't feeling it. Thanks for the encouragement I'm glad to be shooting again. I've been living vicariously through you all and am glad to be back in the saddle.

Comment

Good luck on your continued healing and improvement!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X