Dealing with ADD/ADHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with ADD/ADHD

We've been having some issues with my 8year old. A year or so my wife took him to see a Dr (shrink) and She said that he displays alot of traits of ADD/ADHD.
    I had (and to some extent still think) His behaviour and lack of following through stuff is a discipline issue.
    Now that school is back on, we spend all afternoon/night getting him to do his homework, now, it only takes him 15-20 minutes to do it, but he refused to sit at focus and get it done. So it basically turns into a huge issue every day.
    This is just a sample of it, he does like to fabricate and make stuff in the shop, so I try to use that as motivation for him, but he doesn't care.

His behavior is more than just homework issues, but that's a sample.
    I've tried different ways of correcting behavior, but it all seems to backfire and make stuff worse. And all my wife will do is plead/beg/cry for him to behave, and this just really riles me up. I am about at the end of my rope with this stuff.
    I know I'm not the only one who has this problem. If anyone has advise, prayers or even encouragement for this, it would real be appreciated.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Im not sure my advice will help but sounds like he likes to be outside so I would let him play out side tell sun goes down and then do homework. that is what my parents used to have to do for me because with the sun up I would refuse to be inside they just let me play untell sun went down.

Comment

Are you against medication? My son is 7 and we're in the same boat. He cannot stay seated at school, can't stop talking and has trouble staying focused. He's doing great in school besides those issues. I was against medication for about the past year but we picked up his first prescription earlier today and he will start taking it in the morning. I just got to the point of being tired of disciplining him and taking everything away from him, and it wasn't really working anyway. I felt like he was suffering the consequences and part of it is my fault for not seeking other alternatives for the issues. I'm really hoping this will work for us.

I'm glad you started this thread because I've wanted to hear what others have to say as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anythinghunter8 View Post
        Im not sure my advice will help but sounds like he likes to be outside so I would let him play out side tell sun goes down and then do homework. that is what my parents used to have to do for me because with the sun up I would refuse to be inside they just let me play untell sun went down.
        Now that the days are shorter, we need to try that.
        I'll have to get over the "procrastination" feeling of letting homework wait.

Comment

In the same boat and struggling with what to do

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxed Outdoors View Post
            Are you against medication? My son is 7 and we're in the same boat. He cannot stay seated at school, can't stop talking and has trouble staying focused. He's doing great in school besides those issues. I was against medication for about the past year but we picked up his first prescription earlier today and he will start taking it in the morning. I just got to the point of being tired of disciplining him and taking everything away from him, and it wasn't really working anyway. I felt like he was suffering the consequences and part of it is my fault for not seeking other alternatives for the issues. I'm really hoping this will work for us.

I'm glad you started this thread because I've wanted to hear what others have to say as well.
            I am really wanting to stay away from meds. My wife and I have talked about a straight clean diet for him, but it's easy to talk about, hard to do.
            He does great in school, last year, the teacher said he is always the last one done, like he just piddles around until the last second and then gets it done (complete opposite of me, but just like his mom).
            I just found out today he got lunch detention for not doing his homework. I hate to hear that, but maybe if he sees that the teacher doesn't approve of this, an outside source might get him motivated.

Comment

I take adderall as an adult, I've dealt with it my entire life.

It's not a discipline or an over energy issue, our brains are just wired differently.

Once they figure out how to harness it they will be unstoppable, but almost inevitably self employed 😀.

I'm on the fence about medicating kids, I have one wired like me and one that isn't.

Good luck, I'll send up some prayers for you.

Comment

Same boat brother its tough my 8 year old has it pretty bad! Hes also dyslexia! The best thing I found to help was structure and being on a schedule. He is on meds for school purpose but we don't give it to him on the weekends.

Comment

It's a fact; a person with ADD is hard to love. You never know what to say. It's like walking through a minefield. You tiptoe around; unsure which step

This is spot on.

I'm the like the princess and the pea if I'm uncomfortable, or a tag is bothering me.

It's not just over energy.

Taken my wife a decade to understand some of it.

Comment

Think of it what you will but at least do yourself and your son a favor and try to eliminate artificial food dyes from your sons diet before you go the medication route. My son(6) had many of the same issues and my wife started studying it and decided to try it with him. We started on a Friday last school year and that Monday his teacher was asking if we put him on med's he was so different.

While it sounds tough it really is not that difficult just watch the labels we have found really good products that are dye free and really not more expensive than there counterparts.

I am not saying that medication may not be the answer but for us it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxed Outdoors View Post

I was in the same boat. I was totally against the medication. We struggled for about 2 years and It finally broke me down. We tried the meds and it changed our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                        I am really wanting to stay away from meds. My wife and I have talked about a straight clean diet for him, but it's easy to talk about, hard to do.
                        He does great in school, last year, the teacher said he is always the last one done, like he just piddles around until the last second and then gets it done (complete opposite of me, but just like his mom).
                        I just found out today he got lunch detention for not doing his homework. I hate to hear that, but maybe if he sees that the teacher doesn't approve of this, an outside source might get him motivated.

I completely understand. I tried the clean diet for my son but it didn't help. The only thing that has helped is a very structured daily schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                          I was in the same boat. I was totally against the medication. We struggled for about 2 years and It finally broke me down. We tried the meds and it changed our lives.
                          I've heard similar stories and I hope we have good results. And yes it will break you down!

Comment

Dont let that shrink sell you medication your kid "needs". Those doctors are pill pushers basically legal drug dealers. They only get paid if they sell drugs (sound familiar). Young people are supposed to have energy, honestly your kids will most likely grow out of any issues. The chemical compounds the drug companies put in the ADHD medication is legal meth.

Comment

I'm 40 years old and your son sounds like what I've been dealing with for my entire life. One thing that helps me is that I tend to be able to focus better when I'm "a little bit tired" and have done some repetitive physical action.

For example, I try and ride my bike to work a couple days a week. It makes me sleep better and it burns just enough energy that I'm focused but not falling asleep. A repetitive action like peddling also helps me.

Maybe try playing catch where you throw the ball back and forth 100 times (no hard throws just enough throws where you go into "robot mode" and aren't completely spent. I'd suggest you tell your boy a white lie and say your shoulder has been hurting and the throwing will help you for bow season.

After throwing, let him take a very short break (10-15 minutes) and have him do his homework. When he finishes his homework don't make a big deal but tell him your proud and tell him you really need his help throwing tomorrow so you'll be ready for bow season.

I'm no expert but this is what helps me.
                              Last edited by StrayDog; 09-13-2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X